Dear John.... what about that Elephant in the Room ??

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Dear John.... what about that Elephant in the Room ??

over the years and like plenty of us here on the Powder Blues, have been up and down w/Tom Telesco, and as am one who much prefers him over the ways of AJ, am still a bit remiss in sharing that eye think it's time to squarely put the spotlight on his track record as GM, and to turn up the volume/put the mike in the face of our Director of Football Ops, John Spanos.... it's time to make a change.

upon first listening to Telesco's last presser, was rather taken by how pressing some of the questions were that he received, and also was of the opinion that the moment escaped him and that it was not a good look.... if not now, then when ?? when is it time to set a new direction and course for this Chargers organization, and when is enough is enough from our mostly beloved Tom Telesco ??

am in the middle of taking a closer listen to his last presser, and since the thing is over an hour, am gonna break things up and share as I go along.... pls humor me for the first installment:

Am a quarter of the way thru this vid (for the second time) and have a fair bit to say as it is, so figure this is the first installment, as vid is an hour and six minutes long….

Watching the vid, first thing Telesco alludes to is that he likes the identity of this football team. The one that finished out of the playoffs, the one who has mishandled more than its share of personnel decisions ?? TBilly, Denzel/Murray, Hayward/CHJ, Facyson/Kemon, Ek + who ?? Storm/Pips/Bulaga, lucky w/Linsley’s back/health, Oboushi/Scho, Nwosu/Fackrell, Tillery/Fehoko/Gaziano, and… we have done well w/Slater, Feiler, Herbert, Bosa, Linval, Asante and Cook, and while the some of us might have preferred otherwise, don’t think we can point to too many draft picks as of yet and label them busts ??

Telesco says the future is bright, but that we’ve got a lotta work to do. What have we been doing for the last nine years then ??

And our identity is aggressive not reckless ?? how is that an identity of an organization, one that sustains a winning football franchise ?? I get it that it’s a reasonable response to the outcome from Anthony Ray football, and…. what about Chargers football, Hadl, Fouts, Jefferson, Winslow, JJ, Coryell, Rivers, etc.

The question was asked, “how secure are you w/your job moving forward ?” Tom says that we are putting the plan together for this offseason, that we have a strong FO and great scouting staff. The obvious query then is: where’s the breakdown/weak link then ?? pls preempt this man from middling/muddling thru another fool’s gold/mirage of an offseason. ‘tis time for a changeover in the FO.

As a sidebar, there is a second elephant in the room…. Dean is looking to take bids on the franchise come ‘024. How does that affect the FO, HC and football product that will be dangled for sale ??

‘nother question re: why hasn’t it worked in years past, why have there not been enough wins, not enough playoff appearances, and to which Tom stated/extolled that it was Year One w/Staley, and what is that, after year one w/McCoy, after year one w/Anthony Lynn ?? Who will be the next after year one HC ??

And what’s to say that things are going to be any different under team Tommy John ??

The buck stops w/John Spanos, and that is the first elephant in the room. Last go ‘round John did an end around sneak and signed Telesco to an extension a year before his contract expired. Is he up to the same shenanigans this time ‘round ??

It’s time to get off the team Tommy John merry go ‘round. It’s time for a new GM.

It’s Jeremiah’s job to lose. And while you’re @it, how do you bring Joe Brady on board and into the org ??

Tom says he’s gonna build on this year…. A year that fell short of expectations.

He says he’s not concerned ‘bout years prior, and that despite that he has a below .500 win percentage over his tenure here. he says he doesn’t believe in windows, and that he’s in it to win it every year, and….

How is that coming along Tom ??

Listening to him talk about MW, it is clear that Tom Telesco is a good guy, and that is worth its weight in Chargers blue and gold.

Another question re: how would you evaluate your nine years as GM of the LAC ?? it’s evident that Tom is a good soldier, and… whether that’s as Major Tom, Lieutenant Tom or GM Tom, I’m not exactly certain, and…. I am certain that he was magnanimous in the face of some touchy/sensitive inquiries.

Tom adds that he likes where we are…. Ok, then where are we ?? Who are we ?? we’re still here Tom, sitting @.500, and we’re not going anywhere…. We’re your die hards.

He said we’ve been entertaining on the way to winning, and that ‘tis hard to say we’re not an exciting football team…. Um, was that exciting, exiting from the playoffs, vs. the Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos ??

Did I miss the flair we had in exiting left ??

He says we throw the ball downfield ?? or do we keep the Rocket Man largely in irons, and employ largely a dink and dump down offense, which accumulated more yards than in the recent past ??

And personally, also agree w/the sentiment that we/our HC might need to take it down a notch, and that Staley might need to slow his roll some, and to soften his tone a bit…. (to be con’t),
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

the follow up....

How much say did he have in the hiring of Staley, Lynn, McCoy ?? safe to say, not much.

It does seem that he is genuinely sad and somewhat disappointed in himself, and for the team’s shortcomings/shortfall. And that said, he is arguably doing his best. GMing ain’t easy, ‘specially when you’re taking direction from the man behind the curtain.

The John Spanos puppetry lands on Telesco’s plate, fair enough or not.

He admits that the expectations were not met on the defensive side of the football. Looking @Muray, Tillery, no Hayward, no Mel, no Denzel, Facyson to ps, Linval not getting any younger, little to no other rotational player @nose guard, Nwosu, Tranquil, Derwin and Bosa’s health/injury histories…. We were a bottom five bottom feeder/dweller, and then….

The refrain is the same…. “another year.”

TT talks about every year there are additions and subtractions. This offseason there is a subtraction and addition that needs to be made. Subtract Tom from the scouting dept and add him to the FO admin dept.

He puts it on “alignment, assignment and technique…. Things that any player can do.”

What about talent ?? he agrees w/his HC Brandon that we are looking for the right players. who has brought in the wrong players ??

We are lacking in depth behind Jones/Joseph. Does keeping w/Telesco increase our odds of making the right decision there, and w/other player acquisition decisions ??

Tom Telesco is a competent individual. The wonder is, has he Peter Principled out ?? has he reached his Chargers ceiling ?? is his floor high enough for us as Chargers fans ?? for the Spanos ownership ??

He calls it a production based biz. His record sits @below .500 which is @below avg production.

He is a valuable Chargers asset. Did we overestimate his roster ?? how many years has this been going on for ?? how many more years is this a wise course of action ?? does the aftermath add up ??

Telesco +1, let alone extending him for another contract ??

Is TT carrying too much baggage w/him ?? MW, Murray, Nwosu, Drue, Storm/Pips, Tillery ??

He likes the makeup/onfield demeanor of his players/roster.

Admittedly there are many of us who in kind admire/like Telesco's on demand demeanor and personal makeup. However the question remains: has team Tommy John been a really good narrative for the Chargers, and for us as fans ??
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Fleet 1
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Kauai
      • Send PM

Damn making me want to watch him now. lol I just cant any longer.

Comment

• PR#1
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Tom is a pussy and must go !!!

Comment

• Boltdiehard
          The Precious
          • May 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post
          Tom is a pussy and must go !!!
          Unfortunately he is about to oversee one of our most important offseasons in quite a while.

Comment

• AFboltfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2018
            • Balboa Park bench
            • Medical Simulation
            • Send PM

I'm glad other people see it... You have to give him another year or 2, but damn Staley seems like nothing but a used-car snake oil salesman... Enough with the speeches! Next year I want to see results.

Comment

• beachcomber
              & ramblin' man
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post
              I'm glad other people see it... You have to give him another year or 2, but damn Staley seems like nothing but a used-car snake oil salesman... Enough with the speeches! Next year I want to see results.
              nice sig.... imp:

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

The only thing Telesco said that i thought was interesting was his comment about the team having sufficient talent to have had made the playoffs.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                  The only thing Telesco said that i thought was interesting was his comment about the team having sufficient talent to have had made the playoffs.
                  So it was gremlins preventing them from getting in?

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

How The Bengals Rebuilt From Worst To First In Two Years : After defeating the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Championship...

It can be done, but Telesco is going to be GM up until the day that Dean decides his investment has matured. Without recourse or accountability.

GM.jpeg

L-R: Denver GM George Paton; K.C. GM Brett Veach; Las Vegas GM Dave Ziegler, Tom Telesco

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post
                      The team was dealt a difficult loss in that final game. But he was still happy the next day in the team meeting LMAO.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                        over the years and like plenty of us here on the Powder Blues, have been up and down w/Tom Telesco, and as am one who much prefers him over the ways of AJ, am still a bit remiss in sharing that eye think it's time to squarely put the spotlight on his track record as GM, and to turn up the volume/put the mike in the face of our Director of Football Ops, John Spanos.... it's time to make a change.

upon first listening to Telesco's last presser, was rather taken by how pressing some of the questions were that he received, and also was of the opinion that the moment escaped him and that it was not a good look.... if not now, then when ?? when is it time to set a new direction and course for this Chargers organization, and when is enough is enough from our mostly beloved Tom Telesco ??

am in the middle of taking a closer listen to his last presser, and since the thing is over an hour, am gonna break things up and share as I go along.... pls humor me for the first installment:

Am a quarter of the way thru this vid (for the second time) and have a fair bit to say as it is, so figure this is the first installment, as vid is an hour and six minutes long….

Watching the vid, first thing Telesco alludes to is that he likes the identity of this football team. The one that finished out of the playoffs, the one who has mishandled more than its share of personnel decisions ?? TBilly, Denzel/Murray, Hayward/CHJ, Facyson/Kemon, Ek + who ?? Storm/Pips/Bulaga, lucky w/Linsley’s back/health, Oboushi/Scho, Nwosu/Fackrell, Tillery/Fehoko/Gaziano, and… we have done well w/Slater, Feiler, Herbert, Bosa, Linval, Asante and Cook, and while the some of us might have preferred otherwise, don’t think we can point to too many draft picks as of yet and label them busts ??

Telesco says the future is bright, but that we’ve got a lotta work to do. What have we been doing for the last nine years then ??

And our identity is aggressive not reckless ?? how is that an identity of an organization, one that sustains a winning football franchise ?? I get it that it’s a reasonable response to the outcome from Anthony Ray football, and…. what about Chargers football, Hadl, Fouts, Jefferson, Winslow, JJ, Coryell, Rivers, etc.

The question was asked, “how secure are you w/your job moving forward ?” Tom says that we are putting the plan together for this offseason, that we have a strong FO and great scouting staff. The obvious query then is: where’s the breakdown/weak link then ?? pls preempt this man from middling/muddling thru another fool’s gold/mirage of an offseason. ‘tis time for a changeover in the FO.

As a sidebar, there is a second elephant in the room…. Dean is looking to take bids on the franchise come ‘024. How does that affect the FO, HC and football product that will be dangled for sale ??

‘nother question re: why hasn’t it worked in years past, why have there not been enough wins, not enough playoff appearances, and to which Tom stated/extolled that it was Year One w/Staley, and what is that, after year one w/McCoy, after year one w/Anthony Lynn ?? Who will be the next after year one HC ??

And what’s to say that things are going to be any different under team Tommy John ??

The buck stops w/John Spanos, and that is the first elephant in the room. Last go ‘round John did an end around sneak and signed Telesco to an extension a year before his contract expired. Is he up to the same shenanigans this time ‘round ??

It’s time to get off the team Tommy John merry go ‘round. It’s time for a new GM.

It’s Jeremiah’s job to lose. And while you’re @it, how do you bring Joe Brady on board and into the org ??

Tom says he’s gonna build on this year…. A year that fell short of expectations.

He says he’s not concerned ‘bout years prior, and that despite that he has a below .500 win percentage over his tenure here. he says he doesn’t believe in windows, and that he’s in it to win it every year, and….

How is that coming along Tom ??

Listening to him talk about MW, it is clear that Tom Telesco is a good guy, and that is worth its weight in Chargers blue and gold.

Another question re: how would you evaluate your nine years as GM of the LAC ?? it’s evident that Tom is a good soldier, and… whether that’s as Major Tom, Lieutenant Tom or GM Tom, I’m not exactly certain, and…. I am certain that he was magnanimous in the face of some touchy/sensitive inquiries.

Tom adds that he likes where we are…. Ok, then where are we ?? Who are we ?? we’re still here Tom, sitting @.500, and we’re not going anywhere…. We’re your die hards.

He said we’ve been entertaining on the way to winning, and that ‘tis hard to say we’re not an exciting football team…. Um, was that exciting, exiting from the playoffs, vs. the Raiders, Chiefs, Broncos ??

Did I miss the flair we had in exiting left ??

He says we throw the ball downfield ?? or do we keep the Rocket Man largely in irons, and employ largely a dink and dump down offense, which accumulated more yards than in the recent past ??

And personally, also agree w/the sentiment that we/our HC might need to take it down a notch, and that Staley might need to slow his roll some, and to soften his tone a bit…. (to be con’t),
                        Sure he should be held accountable but I don't agree with alot of the things you thought he should have done.

Like bringing back Mel, and Facyson who was awful here and wasnt great in LV. Denzel was always hurt and for once he had a healthy season. First of his career. Good when healthy but who knows when he is for us? He never was.

I agreed with letting Facyson go and figured Denzel wouldn't be back. Mel needed to go a year prior.

I still believe Murray was more a Lynn want.

Who says Jeremiah would be our next GM? That's your hope. I wouldnt mind him in that role for the draft but Mayock didn't do that well in that role of GM. I'm a skeptic there.

Joe Brady? Not my guy either. He was canned in Carolina, just now named a QB coach after many months when somebody could have snapped him up.

Nobody was knocking down his door.
                        Nothing to say your ideas are better while knocking his moves but i strongly agree, Tom must go if they flub this next season as it seems he isn't leaving this year.

One constant our team seems to be having is changing coaches every four years. And with that comes different schemes and personnel to fit it which is a changeover and takes time. We need to land on a coach that's going to be here for a number of years like Tomlin, Carrol ,etc.
                        Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-04-2022, 02:32 PM.
                        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                        181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                        225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

Working...
                        X