Chargers open as a 6.5 pt favorite over the Browns

Discuss.
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Chargers are a mess, SD jinxed
    By Tom Krasovic | 1:20 p.m. Sept. 27, 2015

Chargers Philip Rivers throws a touchdown pass to Keenan Allen in the 2nd quarter against the Vikings. — K.C. Alfred
    ��
    ✉⎙
    The final, inglorious piece of proof arrived Sunday, on a postcard day from Minnesota.

San Diego is a jinxed sports town.

As jinxed as jinxed can be.

We are the Cleveland of the West Coast.

If you doubted it, this cacophony of injuries and yellow flags and lost collisions, this butt-kicking at the hands of Minnesota Nice, should seal the deal, for even the most diehard Chargers drinker of the blue-gold Kool-Aid.

And there was this: Norv Turner, smile on face, Vikings cap on head, after Minnesota's 31-14 victory at the University of Minnesota.

The former Chargers coach wore Vikings purple in the land of Prince, while the Vikings and the football gods did a Purple Rain of abuse on the Chargers.

The Chargers (1-2) never really showed up. They did not block. Did not tackle Adrian Peterson. Did not stay healthy, protect Philip Rivers or sack Teddy Bridgewater.

Seemingly, everyone involved with San Diego’s offensive line, other than coaches Joe D’Alessandris and Andrew Dees, limped off the field.

All apt, because we are jinxed.

What got Norv fired three years ago?

A porous, injury-riddled offensive line was a big part of it.

Fix the offensive line, Norv said, and Philip Rivers would get back to being himself.

The Chargers patched up the line long enough in 2013, with help from the no-huddle offense installed by Norv’s successor, Mike McCoy, to make the playoffs and win their first postseason game in five years.

Year Two of the McCoy Era ended in a barrage of sacks, seven all told by the Chiefs, six due to poor blocking.

And now we are here again, flux up front, a giant vat of pudding in front of Rivers, just three games into McCoy's third season.

Rivers took too many hits, for the second game in a row. He’s absorbed four sacks in each of the last two weeks. A wicked shot from 255-pound linebacker Anthony Barr, who ran the 40-yard dash in 4.66 seconds, staggered Rivers so badly the Chargers called timeout, just to keep him in the game.

This is no way to treat a franchise quarterback.

If Rivers has an accountant, the bean counter is glad to know that Rivers’ contract extension included $65 million guaranteed.

At some point, Rivers will not survive the pounding. He ended last season with back and chest injuries.

So, the Chargers need to get healthy up front, but the problem may run deeper. Truth told, the blocking was spotty dating to the first exhibition. This looks chronic. The Chargers have been patching and mending in their offensive line for several years. Something is amiss. And even when the offensive line was in reasonably good health, it had numerous struggles, dating to the exhibition opener.

Nor are the Chargers holding up in their defensive front. They have one sack in three games. That’s 10 fewer than they’ve given up. Melvin Ingram, their most talented rusher, has more flags than sacks (3-0). Their run defense is flimsy, with Adrian Peterson ripping them Sunday for a 43-yard touchdown, a 21-yard jaunt and generally carrying young quarterback Teddy Bridgewater to decent results.

Making it a trifecta, the special teams again sputtered.

McCoy faces his scariest crisis in three season as coach. Norv wishes him well.

Next up are, fittingly, the Browns. They’ll be in San Diego next Sunday. The Jinx Bowl is upon us.

Chargers Huddle daily newsletter
    Sign up for our daily San Diego Chargers newsletter to get the latest news and analysis on the team from The San Diego Union-Tribune and from around the country. The best Chargers reporting, delivered to your inbox every day by 7 a.m. Don't miss out.

Tom Krasovic


    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• Millionaire Wussy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

I would take the Browns next week. Their lines are much better than ours. As long as their QB doesn't throw the game away I don't see how the Browns lose.
        For Stinky-Jon-Wizzleteats....

"Pray for strength and healing oh and money!"

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Even though the Chargers looked like shit today I think Vegas got this right.

Comment

• Classic
            Hall Of Fame
            • Dec 2014
            • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
            I would take the Browns next week. Their lines are much better than ours. As long as their QB doesn't throw the game away I don't see how the Browns lose.
            The Chargers will win. I think we suck but that Browns team wrote the book on suck. If Manziel starts they have a better chance. I still would be wary on believing the Cleveland Browns are a threat of a team.

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Well, let's put it this way: A loss to the Brownies, at home, would just about drive the final nail into the coffin that is this season. The fans will stay away in droves; the "Move to LA...PLEASE!" banners will be in full force; fans of our opposition will far outnumber our own at home games (FAR out number; not just out number).

I warned of something like this happening, i.e., a bad start after an abysmal PR off-season.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

We should beat the Browns at home.
                If this game were in Cleveland, I would have no faith in this coaching staff to have the team prepared.
                This squad does not travel well.
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

It's going to be really interesting to see who lines up on the oline this week:

Michael Gehlken ‏@UTgehlken 8h8 hours ago
                  Orlando Franklin (ankle) to have MRI on Monday. No fracture. King Dunlap concussion. Fluker: "I'm walking on adrenaline." Hairston is, too.

Comment

• TTK
                    EX-Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • America's Finest City
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    It's going to be really interesting to see who lines up on the oline this week:

Michael Gehlken ‏@UTgehlken 8h8 hours ago
                    Orlando Franklin (ankle) to have MRI on Monday. No fracture. King Dunlap concussion. Fluker: "I'm walking on adrenaline." Hairston is, too.
                    And I thought the injuries on the o-line last year was ridiculous.

Will Riech pull his head out of his ass this week and feed Gordon? Let's not see Rivers die on the home field.

Comment

• MakoShark
                      Disgruntled
                      • Jun 2013
                      • North Alabama
                      • Send PM

I'll take the Browns and the points for $100 please, Alex.

The answer is, "Will you take the over or the under?"
                      sigpic

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                        And I thought the injuries on the o-line last year was ridiculous.

Will Riech pull his head out of his ass this week and feed Gordon? Let's not see Rivers die on the home field.
                        When one gets out-coached by Norv Turner, it's time to find a new career path. Norv ran the ball; Reich didn't.

Comment

Working...
                        X