Clear All
  • Coachmarkos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • SoDak
    • Technology Director
    • Send PM

Thoughts from the game-I was there!

Here are my thoughts after getting up at 6:30 am to drive to the Twin Cities and home again, only to watch out team get their asses handed to them.

The Offensive Line play was atrocious. Very little running room for Woodhead, or Gordon all day. Rivers was getting pummelled. Even on most of his completions, there was someone hitting him or getting close. It was bad. I feared for his season.

Injuries yes, played a part in this. Lost 3 offensive linemen during the game. Can't remember when Watt went out, but saw Robinson playing center the entire 2nd half, and I think in the 2nd quarter. End of the game Barksdale was at LT and Fluker was the only other starter out there, and he was questionable going into the game. Fluker got beat bad on a 3rd down play in the 3rd quarter, which lead to a sack, and Rivers walked off the field with him... had his arm around DJ's back...talking to him the whole way.

Vikings blitzed up the middle, alot. Either a safety, or a LB, or both LBers, or a LB and a safety would come up the middle repeatedly.

When the Vikings stopped blitzing, the drive before halftime... Rivers had time to throw, and made some really nice throws. Our WR's got open all day. Just couldn't get the ball to them.

Keenan Allen was the best WR on the field. In fact, I think all 3 of the chargers top 3 wideouts would start for the Vikings.

Gates, or Green would have helped alot. Phillips caught a few balls, but pretty much was down immediately... missed Gates catch, reverse pivot and run ability.

I've been rooting for Te'o since we drafted him, but he didn't look any better in person than he is on TV. He's almost a good player. He almost makes alot of plays. But he doesn't.

Weddles used to be the surest tackler on the team, always saving the team from giving up long TD runs. He is not that player anymore. And he is hurting his himself in a contract year.

Teddy Bridgewater doesn't look very good yet. He completed a few nice passes, but was off target alot. I don't think the Vikings will go far this season, unless he steps up.

Penalties absolutely killed the chargers yesterday. 7 penalties for 74 yards.

Add it all up, and you end up with everything broke wrong for the chargers, and broke right for the Vikings.

All this being said...
    The Chargers ran more plays than the Vikings... 72 to 55.
    The Chargers outgained the Vikings... 369 to 284
    The Chargers had more T.O.P. than the Vikings 33:39 to 26:31

All that with losing 3 starting O-Linemen, both Starting CB's, and no Gates/Green.

It really seemed like the timeliness of the plays were what hurt the team more than anything. Missed opportunities. Bridgewater threw a pass right to Ingram, Oliver and Weddle not tackling Peterson on his long run. Ingrams holding on a FG attempt, giving the Vikings a first down. (Was anyone else confused by this??? How can there be defensive holding on a FG attempt by the other team? I have NEVER seen that called before).

This team isn't that bad...but they certainly aren't good enought to survive the injuries, and mistakes at key moments that they provided yesterday.

I do think they will beat Cleveland next week... get to 2-2, and then we'll see what happens from there.

A bummer of a game to bring my youngest son to his first Chargers game, but the Vikings fan were nice... no one yelled or cat called us once, and I actually had a nice conversation with the older gentleman sitting next to us. More Chargers fans were at the game than I thought would be.
    Chargergame.jpg
    "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."
  • Lightningwill_420

Rad write-up.

Comment

• Highboltage
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I bet no matter what happened on the field the smile on your son's face made it all worth it.

Comment

• Geezbolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Sun Valley, ID
        • Send PM

Thanks for your thoughts on the game Coach. Something Nick Hardwick said around the time he officially retired kept resonating with me after yesterday's game. He said this team needs a couple of "Bad Dudes" to change the attitude. He singled out Steve Foley and Randall Godfrey as being the type of players needed. The Chargers have been pushed around so far this year and that has to end. McCoy knows that so we'll see what he does. You're going to lose games in the NFL, but when you lose, I would much prefer the other team to feel like they've been in a street brawl. I sometimes wonder if modern offenses and defenses have gotten so complicated that players are thinking instead of reacting, costing them that critical split second.

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
          Thanks for your thoughts on the game Coach. Something Nick Hardwick said around the time he officially retired kept resonating with me after yesterday's game. He said this team needs a couple of "Bad Dudes" to change the attitude. He singled out Steve Foley and Randall Godfrey as being the type of players needed. The Chargers have been pushed around so far this year and that has to end. McCoy knows that so we'll see what he does. You're going to lose games in the NFL, but when you lose, I would much prefer the other team to feel like they've been in a street brawl. I sometimes wonder if modern offenses and defenses have gotten so complicated that players are thinking instead of reacting, costing them that critical split second.
          How is Milktoast Mike going to inspire the team to become more badass?

This team has taken on his personality. Soft, scared, weak.
          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Geezbolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Sun Valley, ID
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
            How is Milktoast Mike going to inspire the team to become more badass?

This team has taken on his personality. Soft, scared, weak.
            I think it might take a player or two stepping up. I don't know the individual personalities well enough to know who that might be, or if that player is even on the team. I remember seeing an attitude change once in a game and I don't even remember who it was against. One of the opposing team's linebackers or D-lineman was talking smack to the Chargers' players on the sidelines after a 3rd down stop. Roman Oben, coming off the field came up from the side, stood right between the player and the Chargers' bench, started walking toward him and stared him down. The guy ran off like a scared puppy. The defense stepped up on the next series and the Bolts ended up winning. Sometimes it doesn't take much.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Geezbolt View Post
              Time for Fluker to body-slam some Browns.

Comment

• Geezbolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Sun Valley, ID
                • Send PM

He is one I could see stepping up if you pissed him off.

Comment

• MakoShark
                  Disgruntled
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Alabama
                  • Send PM

Too bad it didn't turn out better for you Coach.

Nice write up.
                  sigpic

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

Thanks for sharing that Coach.
                    No matter the outcome , I'm sure your son will remember it as a great game........as will you.:smile:

Comment

• Marshall/Boogie
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Thank you, Coach
                      Well.. you can at least see the croutons in the dark.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                        No Sir, I Dont Like It
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Section 457
                        • Migrant Film Worker
                        • Send PM

The team let you down, but you did your part, Coach M. Good looking kid. Looks like a QB to me.
                        Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X