• Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Anthony Lynn's Chargers were 4-1 in games decided by 3 pts or fewer in 2018. Remember those 4th Q pts the Chargers scored against the Steelers and Chiefs? I don't see scoring pts in the 4th Q as exclusive to Staley. At the end of the day, it's about results. And Staley's results are no more impressive than Norv, McCoy or Lynn.
    At this point.

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2020
      • Oklahoma
      • Send PM

Again: Has any GM in history been given a 10th year being under 500 with no SB appearances while having a franchise QB every year?!
      I doubt it
      Even AJ Smith was gone after 9 so this should damn well be it if they don't make the playoffs.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Staley will go on to become a top Chargers HC. Give him some professional defensive players, and the rest will be history. I agree with the assessment that TT is entirely average. Average is .500 and that is basically his record.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• equivocation
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2021
          • Send PM

I was im favor of letting Telesco go with Lynn but that didn't happen. At this point rooting for him to go means rooting for the Chargers to lose.

His last couple drafts have been better than the early ones.

Comment

• foreigner
            Tom Telesco is gone
            • Sep 2013
            • Send PM

This is a divided camp... which is interesting.. some defend Telesco and want Staley out... some others, like me, defend Staley but want Telesco out...

Lynn isnt here because of his turtle ways..... he should've unleashed the beast with Herbert throwing some more bombs in those second halfs and he could be still here.

Some others dont like the agressive ways of Staley... oh well....

Comment

• foreigner
              Tom Telesco is gone
              • Sep 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
              I was im favor of letting Telesco go with Lynn but that didn't happen. At this point rooting for him to go means rooting for the Chargers to lose.

His last couple drafts have been better than the early ones.
              Not exactly... If I were the owner I would fire him but aknowledge that he has built half of this team, which means average, I would bring a GM that would bring the missing half of it.

Comment

• equivocation
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post

Not exactly... If I were the owner I would fire him but aknowledge that he has built half of this team, which means average, I would bring a GM that would bring the missing half of it.
                But you're not the owner and that's not going to happen.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post

But you're not the owner and that's not going to happen.
                  Especially when you drafted a top 5 Qb going forward. Telesco had to deal with a couple of Bad contracts and going forward he's not gonna be hampered by these. I think a smarter coaching staff is going to give Telesco the proper feedback he needs versus the two previous coaches. Another decent draft and signing a couple of "not over the hill" players will do wonders for our team.

:2cents:
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• RTPbolt
                    Charger Fan till the end
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Carolina
                    • Send PM

So who are you going to get that is so 100% better than TT? Name me a proven candidate that isnt a complete unknown at the GM position? I cant think of any….GMs dont grow on trees.

Im a bit more of the type to say how do you even measure a GM? Its not really about just the record or SB appearances. Being a General Manager is a hard role (and what I trained for early in my career) and takes knowledge of all parts of running a business. There are many many hats TT has to wear and so much is on the shoulders of the people below him to truly put Ws on the board…its a very narrow margin between victory and defeat and TT doesnt really control the Xs and Os at all. He for sure had say in hiring Staley and the others and helping put the vision the HCs presented into a plan to try to fill the positions of coaches and players throughout the season but to me his job is uber-dependant on what the coaches do and how the players train and play on game day. TT helps setup the chess board as best he can but its up to the HC to move the pieces and the players to fight each individual battle. Success of a team for a few years is often how the GM gets given a thumbs up. Managing the ever changing cap and two location moves and an aged beloved QB was not easy either.

Shit Elway even had a couple good years but do we think hes a great GM? Sometimes luck is a factor and i wont hesitate to say our injury luck has no doubt cost us victories and playoff opportunities. Elway would have gone nowhere had Peyton not been injured and Indy pulled a bonehead trade thinking he was done.

im willing to see how 3-4 years of Staley at HC does to getting us back to a top competitor. A few good moved in FA and the draft this year could put us into a scary good team with a real shot to make it to the SB. TT will look like a genius if that happens under Staley…but so much is really on the HC at this point. If Staley flops then i think TT may be done but if they work great as a team together then no doubt TT is safe.

Comment

Working...
                    X