• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
    Can anyone chime in on whether this zone blocking scheme has anything to do with the injuries? Our OL is big...but certainly not nimble. Wouldn't they benefit from running a power blocking scheme instead? I wonder if it's as simple as these guys are in the wrong scheme and getting physically BEATEN by the guy in front of them, not some underlying predisposition to injury. They're simply getting physically broken.
    Remember when we ran 'Power?' Now it's 'inside handoff and stutter step before getting flattened on 2 on 2, ready break!'

Comment

• KNSD
      Registered Charger Hater
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

OK, so now we're going to look at the defensive secondary injury issues:
      1. Verrett - Known injury risk coming out of college. Out first year as Charger.
      2. Flowers - http://www.nfl.com/player/brandonflowers/754/profile Paid big money by team. Expect to be out 2-4 games a year.
      3. Addae - http://www.nfl.com/player/jahleeladdae/2541958/profile Out 6 games last year
      4. Wilson - http://www.nfl.com/player/jimmywilson/2499276/profile Missed a couple games last year
      5. Robinson - http://www.nfl.com/player/patrickrob...508084/profile Missed season two years ago
      6. Weddle - Pretty solid.

Bottom Line: We should expect Verrett, Flowers, and Aeddae out all at the same time for at least a couple games each year.

I don't see where the Chargers have been "snake bitten" at all. Injuries are all part of the plan.
      Prediction:
      Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
      Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
      Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
        OK, so now we're going to look at the defensive secondary injury issues:
        1. Verrett - Known injury risk coming out of college. Out first year as Charger.
        2. Flowers - http://www.nfl.com/player/brandonflowers/754/profile Paid big money by team. Expect to be out 2-4 games a year.
        3. Addae - http://www.nfl.com/player/jahleeladdae/2541958/profile Out 6 games last year
        4. Wilson - http://www.nfl.com/player/jimmywilson/2499276/profile Missed a couple games last year
        5. Robinson - http://www.nfl.com/player/patrickrob...508084/profile Missed season two years ago
        6. Weddle - Pretty solid.

Bottom Line: We should expect Verrett, Flowers, and Aeddae out all at the same time for at least a couple games each year.

I don't see where the Chargers have been "snake bitten" at all. Injuries are all part of the plan.
        Word. What I be saying.

Now that you are carrying on my torch, I'm going to go find my other torch and burn down some medicine.

Sorry, The Power Blues moderators, for clogging your Internet space so much lately. I'm going to take another break.

Back to lurking.

Comment

• KNSD
          Registered Charger Hater
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Hey man I've been saying it for a while now too.

Troutman to IR. Miller cut.
          Prediction:
          Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
          Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
          Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
            Word. What I be saying.

Now that you are carrying on my torch, I'm going to go find my other torch and burn down some medicine.
            That's a real...Torch Song Trilogy.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Don't look now, Philip, but this is in your near future.

The entertainment network where videos and personalities get really big, really fast. Download Vine to watch videos, remixes and trends before they blow up.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                Don't look now, Philip, but this is in your near future.

https://vine.co/v/eQALHgLqA7A

Or do you mean your future is in jeporady? If this line doesn't get healthy soon, Rivers is going to be on IR.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Chargers missing three offensive line starters at Wednesday's practice
                  2h
                  EmailComment
                  Eric D. Williams, ESPN Staff Writer
                  SAN DIEGO -- At least Trevor Robinson has been there before.

With three starting offensive linemen -- left tackle King Dunlap (concussion), left guard Orlando Franklin (ankle) and center Chris Watt (groin) -- missing practice on Wednesday for the San Diego Chargers, Robinson is the only backup with an NFL start to his credit among the players projected to play in place of those three players.

The other two working with the starters during the early portion of practice available to reporters included journeyman offensive lineman Kenny Wiggins at left guard and undrafted rookie Tyreek Burwell at left tackle.

Robinson subbed for an injured Watt in wins over the Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers last year, and started the final game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

“I’m confident in myself and I’m confident in everybody, whoever those five are,” Robinson said about this weekend’s game against the Cleveland Browns. “I don’t know who it’s going to be, but I’m confident we can give ourselves a chance to win.”

If Robinson gets his first start this season, it would come against an opponent he has some familiarity with, having spent his first three NFL seasons in the AFC North playing for the Cincinnati Bengals.

“Every week is kind of its own individual set of challenges and things that you have to do,” Robinson said. “They’re a good team. It’s a physical division. They’re known for that, and that’s something that we have to kind of rise to. And I think we’ll be able to do that.”

Wiggins has been on and off NFL practice squads and active rosters with the 49ers, the Ravens and the Chargers since 2011, but got his first game action on offense in a regular-season game in a loss to the Minnesota Vikings last week, playing in 34 snaps.

At 6-foot-6 and 314 pounds, Wiggins provides versatility, with the ability to play all five positions along the offensive line. That knowledge of the offense could help enhance communication up front with an inexperienced offensive line if Wiggins is in the game Sunday.

“Every time you get reps it’s always a plus,” Wiggins said. “Just getting out there and getting those first live reps was just a dream come true.”

Along with Dunlap, Franklin and Watt, outside linebacker Tourek Williams (foot), cornerback Craig Mager (hamstring) and receiver Jacoby Jones (ankle) did not practice on Wednesday.

Safety Jahleel Addae, who missed the past two weeks with an ankle injury, and tight end Ladarius Green (concussion) were limited participants in San Diego’s non-padded practice.

Offensive lineman D.J. Fluker (ankle), guard Chris Hairston (ankle, knee) and cornerbacks Jason Verrett (foot) and Brandon Flowers (knee) were full participants
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Den60
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

When you run a pass oriented system your o-line gets pushed back (and guys like Watt get knocked on their ass). As your line gets pushed back (usually not equally) you get more of a chance to get your leg trapped from behind (by someone who got pushed back more than you). When you run block you are pushing forward which puts that risk more on the defender. Now, I'm not saying you still can't get your leg trapped on a running play that does happen, but when O-lineman are in pass protection they are in a more passive role, just trying to buy time, rather than trying to drive lineman off them.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

So what are we looking at Sunday?

Dunlap
                      Hairston
                      Robinson
                      Fluker
                      Barksdale

?

If Dunlap is out I hope they give Burwell a chance. I think he's got a future.

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
                        So what are we looking at Sunday?

Dunlap
                        Hairston
                        Robinson
                        Fluker
                        Barksdale

?

If Dunlap is out I hope they give Burwell a chance. I think he's got a future.
                        Fluker probably shouldn't be out there but I suspect he will be since they're running out of bodies.

Comment

• Faded blues
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                          When you run a pass oriented system your o-line gets pushed back (and guys like Watt get knocked on their ass). As your line gets pushed back (usually not equally) you get more of a chance to get your leg trapped from behind (by someone who got pushed back more than you). When you run block you are pushing forward which puts that risk more on the defender. Now, I'm not saying you still can't get your leg trapped on a running play that does happen, but when O-lineman are in pass protection they are in a more passive role, just trying to buy time, rather than trying to drive lineman off them.
                          This.

Comment

Working...
                          X