• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

PFF - WTF?

I know there has been some discussion about how useful/useless PFFs grading on player's performancd is. But this one gave me a complete WTF and has really made me doubt not only their ranking ability but perhaps their sanity as well.

Aaron Rodgers last night was 24/35 passing for 333 yards, 5 TDs and 0 interceptions. That is a QB rating of 138.5 and a QBR of 78.0. And PFF gave him an overall rating of -0.8 and specifically a -1.0 on passing. WTF???
  • Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    I know there has been some discussion about how useful/useless PFFs grading on player's performancd is. But this one gave me a complete WTF and has really made me doubt not only their ranking ability but perhaps their sanity as well.

Aaron Rodgers last night was 24/35 passing for 333 yards, 5 TDs and 0 interceptions. That is a QB rating of 138.5 and a QBR of 78.0. And PFF gave him an overall rating of -0.8 and specifically a -1.0 on passing. WTF???
    I didn't see the game, but does this rating come with an explanation?

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
      I didn't see the game, but does this rating come with an explanation?
      I didn't see one, just saw the scores posted on Twitter.

CQEyrBmWEAAVFfm.jpg

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Maybe there rating system works like an old odometer and just rolls over...
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

I didn't see one, just saw the scores posted on Twitter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]783[/ATTACH]
          Maybe it had something to do with the defense he was playing against. Maybe KC's defense sucks? Maybe they had a bunch injuries to pass rushers or cornerbacks, and other quarterbacks often do even better than what Rodgers did against those same players? Maybe the raters have those MakoShark eyes and saw passes that weren't really on the money that receivers caught anyway? Maybe they thought, if Mr. Average (somebody like Eli or that dude on the Chefs) were quarterbacking the Packers last night, he would have done just as well as Rodgers did?

I don't know. Maybe it's all bullshit. Usually, when I listen to announcers call Chargers games (even Fouts), there's a whole lot of bullshit said by so-called experts. So bullshit is the most likely answer.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

No way of knowing since they don't explain their grading system. You just have to take it on faith.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              No way of knowing since they don't explain their grading system. You just have to take it on faith.
              I watched that game and Rodgers was in complete and total control. I wasn't keeping track of good plays vs bad, but I can't fathom how he ended up graded more negative plays than positive plays.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

I don't agree with a lot of their grades. I know they have a methodology, and I know they probably even follow it, but since you don't know what it is who knows what they are up to. They like to hide behind the fact that they use a similar grading scheme to what many coaches use, giving a player from a -2.0 to +2.0 in half point increments on any given play (so really 0-9). But if they are not assigning the right numbers to each action, then you can use scheme you want, you will still get grades that don't correspond to the players true score.

I am not disagreeing, although I had to go to work early and didn't watch the game. But I see this stuff all the time in their grading, which has kinda been my point since I first discovered them how every many years ago. QB play is not even close to the worst grading they do. They seem to have a persistent bias against zone OL and man to man CB.

The big 2 big issues I have is that they claim that they don't even try to grade a player based on technique or intent, just outcome, and they also assume that every player knows what they are doing on every play, so that there is no such thing as a mental mistake to them.

Comment

Working...
                X