• Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

My theory on the OL injury situation

I think it's maybe scheme related.

You're asking these big maulers to try to play nimble in a zone blocking scheme and I wonder if that has something to do with it. Whether they physically or mentally cannot do it/grasp it, I think it is stretching them thin and exposing them to injury.

Why not just let the big maulers....maul? I think a lot of it simply boils down to the other team is just inflicting more physical pain on us than we are on them. I think somebody (Steve?) pointed out that most of Gordon's big plays in college came from a zone blocking scheme....well he's a big boy and if he's as talented as we think/hope, he would have to adjust. I'm not suggesting we change our entire blocking scheme mid-season as I imagine that is probably close to impossible, but I feel like you also need to put your players in the best position to not only succeed but also stay healthy.

Now I could be totally wrong and I am open to anybody correcting me, but this is just my observation. Especially when an ENTIRE unit is decimated by injuries...there has to be some unifying theme. Unless you just want to blame it on bad luck. Every. Single. Year.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02
  • WindsorUK
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Windsor, U.K.
    • Send PM

The sound of a hammer hitting the nail on the head!
    This 4 Tackles and a Guard scheme just is not working. Too many guys playing out of position. And with all the new guys on the roster, and them shifting positions on an almost weekly basis, it's all just too much. Simplify this thing!

Move Watt back to Guard where he belongs, and play him next to Robinson, who's been our best Center the past 2 seasons. Move Franklin out to Right Tackle, next to Fluker( where most have said he belongs since day one).

I realize all these guys are hurt ( except for Robinson) but when they come back, start building continuity in positions they should be in.

Everyone here mentioned Gordon running behind a HUGE line at Wisconsin. Maybe the Chargers felt that would work best at this level as well. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be working. As Boltx has mentioned, maybe these guys are getting hurt because they're doing things their not designed to be successful at.

Good post Dude!

Comment

• TTK
      EX-Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • America's Finest City
      • Send PM

I want to see an ugly game plan this week against the Browns. Martyball time. This is a game the Chargers should win even with all the crazy injuries just by running the ball. Get Rivers under center and bring in extra TEs and run the ball down the Browns throats. If they have to win a boring 13-10 with backups, so be it. Get the o-line starters healed up for the Steelers.

Comment

• Geezbolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Sun Valley, ID
        • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
        I want to see an ugly game plan this week against the Browns. Martyball time. This is a game the Chargers should win even with all the crazy injuries just by running the ball. Get Rivers under center and bring in extra TEs and run the ball down the Browns throats. If they have to win a boring 13-10 with backups, so be it. Get the o-line starters healed up for the Steelers.
        I remember in the late '60's, Hank Stram had injuries on the offensive side of the ball and an upcoming game against the Raiders. The Chiefs came out in a straight "T" formation and literally ran the ball down the Raiders' throats the entire game. The Chiefs won. Now that's adapting to your situation and putting the players you have in a position to succeed.

Comment

• KNSD
          Registered Charger Hater
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

If Cliff Olander can beat the Raiders 9-6, then Rivers and a banged up OL can beat Cleveland this week!
          Prediction:
          Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
          Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
          Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

Anyone who can pull Cliff Olander out of their ass gets rep from me.
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

I think it was 12-7 btw
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• madcaplaughs
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Isn't that essentially what we did against Detroit? I think we had healthy linemen in that game.

Comment

• KNSD
                  Registered Charger Hater
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Mister Hoarse View Post
                  I think it was 12-7 btw
                  Truth doesn't matter. I got the rep and that's all that counts.
                  Prediction:
                  Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                  Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                  Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Iowachargers
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Dow City, Iowa
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                    The sound of a hammer hitting the nail on the head!
                    This 4 Tackles and a Guard scheme just is not working. Too many guys playing out of position. And with all the new guys on the roster, and them shifting positions on an almost weekly basis, it's all just too much. Simplify this thing!

Move Watt back to Guard where he belongs, and play him next to Robinson, who's been our best Center the past 2 seasons. Move Franklin out to Right Tackle, next to Fluker( where most have said he belongs since day one).

I realize all these guys are hurt ( except for Robinson) but when they come back, start building continuity in positions they should be in.

Everyone here mentioned Gordon running behind a HUGE line at Wisconsin. Maybe the Chargers felt that would work best at this level as well. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be working. As Boltx has mentioned, maybe these guys are getting hurt because they're doing things their not designed to be successful at.

Good post Dude!
                    Just draft the offensive line from Wisconsin.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

The word snake and bit come to mind.
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                        The word snake and bit come to mind.
                        snake.jpg