• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AL9000
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2022
    • San Diego, CA
    • Send PM

Probably an unpopular opinion around here but Mack > Bosa.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      BetterToday ThanYesterday
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Mahomes loves to roll left. Watch him. Just don’t let him do that and it really limits the big, off schedule plays.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• AL9000
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2022
        • San Diego, CA
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        We left Mack vs Miller most of the day, and the Raiders just decided to keep helping out vs Bosa. Fine, the only thing we can do about it is to make teams pay, and Mack did.

At some point, teams will have to sell out to stop Mack, and then Bosa and the others will get their chances. It's just how long do they want to let him do it.

Neither of the KC OT are as good as Miller is. Brown is not a horrible player, but Miller is by far the better guy. Better all-around player, and a better pass blocker. If Mack can abuse him, he is going to get Brown. Brown didn't have that great a game against Markus Golden for AZ, but Mack is just on a whole different level.

The big thing KC has going for them against us is our rushers need to stay in their lanes. Keep Mahomes in the pocket. He can still hurt us there, but he is a surgeon outside the pocket, so don't even give him the chance. Keep him in and let our have faith in the coverage. Mack said it was nice to get a coverage sack, so take them. Mahomes is not an on-schedule type of guy. That was what teams made him do last year and KC never really had an answer.

AZ threw a lot of blitzes at Mahomes and they got some pressure on Sunday. Mahomes is like Herbert, their efficiency doesn't really drop when you pressure them, they thrive. You want to blitz him once in a while, but you can't do it on every down, or the single coverage gives KC too many chances (see AZ game). Let the coverage take away the 1st and 2nd read, and then make sure that Bosa and Mack keep him in the pocket and the sacks, hit and pressure will come.
        We should keep an LB spy on Mahomes because he always does that weird flip around thing to avoid the rusher and rarely gets sacked. It's in that exact moment where he has the ball in one hand like a moron where we could get a lot of sack fumbles too.

Comment

• Parcells
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by AL9000 View Post
          Here’s what awesome…we have them both and don’t have to choose. As to which one is better, the question is what does Mack have left. At his apex, Mack was better than Bosa is at his apex. Bosa is currently at or around his apex. It looks like Mack may be closer to his apex than many others realized.

But again, who cares which one is better? They’re both awesome and they’re both playing for us.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

We should keep an LB spy on Mahomes because he always does that weird flip around thing to avoid the rusher and rarely gets sacked. It's in that exact moment where he has the ball in one hand like a moron where we could get a lot of sack fumbles too.
            I spy is a guy who hovers around the line, trying not to get engaged by the blockers and then chases the QB down. We need Bosa and Mack (and Rumph and KVN too) to keep Mahomes IN the pocket. So, they can't just charge upfield and don't want to abandon their lanes with inside moves unless there is someone who is stunting or a spy who is ready to take their place. Just like in the running game, everyone has a gap, and you can't just go charging off after the ball, or you leave a hole in the D. I'm not sure a true spy is as helpful as a LB and DT doing a "mush" rush, where they deliberately slow rush the QB, and hold back to fill gaps. KVN is one of the all time greats at this, so I would expect to see him doing some of that.

The 2nd KC game, we did a very good job for 3 and a half quarters of keeping Mahomes in the pocket and not let him slide outside or do that flip/roll thing he likes to do. Then our guys got a little tired and got anxious and started just flying after Mahomes and let him get outside, and that is when KC started their comeback. It wasn't the only reason they came back, but Mahomes will lose focus downfield if you can take away the early reads and make him hold the ball in the pocket. No QB in the NFL makes reads on the run as Mahomes. He is still good in the pocket, but he is unbelievably good at seeing his receivers and D and placing the ball when he is outside the pocket.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              BetterToday ThanYesterday
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

The 2nd KC game, we did a very good job for 3 and a half quarters of keeping Mahomes in the pocket and not let him slide outside or do that flip/roll thing he likes to do. Then our guys got a little tired and got anxious and started just flying after Mahomes and let him get outside, and that is when KC started their comeback. It wasn't the only reason they came back, but Mahomes will lose focus downfield if you can take away the early reads and make him hold the ball in the pocket. No QB in the NFL makes reads on the run as Mahomes. He is still good in the pocket, but he is unbelievably good at seeing his receivers and D and placing the ball when he is outside the pocket.
              Saw the same thing, Steve. Chargers have to be disciplined the entire game and keep him in the pocket. It's the best chance of containing him and limiting the big plays. Chargers have shown they can do it. Just need to be consistent. It's a big ask, and as you say, Mahomes in the pocket is still a tremendous QB. Also I hope they don't let him scramble for 20+ yards at a pop as seems to happen to us.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• AL9000
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2022
                • San Diego, CA
                • Send PM

I spy is a guy who hovers around the line, trying not to get engaged by the blockers and then chases the QB down. We need Bosa and Mack (and Rumph and KVN too) to keep Mahomes IN the pocket. So, they can't just charge upfield and don't want to abandon their lanes with inside moves unless there is someone who is stunting or a spy who is ready to take their place. Just like in the running game, everyone has a gap, and you can't just go charging off after the ball, or you leave a hole in the D. I'm not sure a true spy is as helpful as a LB and DT doing a "mush" rush, where they deliberately slow rush the QB, and hold back to fill gaps. KVN is one of the all time greats at this, so I would expect to see him doing some of that.

I guess I kinda see the spy as a good thing because once he does his flip/roll thing, which he almost always does, we have a guy who already has his sights on him to then open rush. I wondered if this was something KVN would do or if it might be K9. But yeah if we can keep him in the pocket, obviously do that. I just think that is easier said than done. He's going to find more open receivers on a loose play than he will standing in the pocket.

Comment

• AK47
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                  Gave up a lot for a 31 year old, I feel like. Hopefully he has something left.

Something tells Mack has recharged.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                    Charger Fan till the end
                    • Jun 2013
                    • North Carolina
                    • Send PM

I feel Mack is a physical beast and can bull rush really well and has a great motor and hands are swiping for the qb even when occupied by the many holdings going on.

Bosa has better technique and edge speed to me. Great to have both as they impact the pocket differently.

i hope they get mahomes scared and making decisions before hes ready….that was how we goyt him “off” the 1st game of last year.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2021
                      • Send PM

Mack was indeed impressive but It’s one frickin game. It’s fair to compare but only AFTER the season is over because they have to run a marathon, not a 100 yd dash.

Comment

Working...
                      X