• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marshall/Boogie
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
    Hank Bauer was on the radio tonight and commented how the Browns blitzed on every play when we lined up in a certain formation and Reich noticed it and changed up the formation and calls after the first 2 series and things stabilized a lot.
    Reich can't actually be improving and/or adapting in his second year, can he? People are static beings - they can't get better at the craft they spend 45-65 hours a week on. We have already judged him - and he sucks. Plus, it was only the Browns...
    Well.. you can at least see the croutons in the dark.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      BetterToday ThanYesterday
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I noticed on a few occasions, the Chargers lined up in the pistol initially but then Rivers changed the formation based on something he was seeing. I don't think we can blame Reich for all of this. And the Cleveburg corner who was offsides on the FG was interviewed here locally and he said Rivers knew each time where the Browns were blitzing from and kept adjusting and beating it. He was complaining about being too predictable. Maybe it was just how great Rivers is at reading defenses.

And part of the reason the Bolts have to use shotgun formations so heavily is the offensive line. We all say we don't want Rivers killed and Reich needs to adjust but then we complain about the adjustments.

Maybe we just like to complain.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
        Truer words have never been posted here.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Marshall/Boogie View Post
          Reich can't actually be improving and/or adapting in his second year, can he? People are static beings - they can't get better at the craft they spend 45-65 hours a week on. We have already judged him - and he sucks. Plus, it was only the Browns...
          I would be willing to bet a lot of money that there isn't a single coach in the NFL who only spends 65 hours a week getting ready for the games. Every single one of them knows that if the NFL thing doesn't work out, they will be a high school gym teacher for the rest of their professional lives.

Comment

• homeless simpson
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

TG
            If people can complain when the team was winning 10-14 games a season and making the playoffs, it should be more than okay to nitpick the team when it's just a so so team.

Comment

• RollingThunder
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Hank Bauer was on the radio tonight and commented how the Browns blitzed on every play when we lined up in a certain formation and Reich noticed it and changed up the formation and calls after the first 2 series and things stabilized a lot.
              So it took exactly 2 games and two wasted series to figure this out? Everyone and their mother new the blitz was coming beforehand because it had happened against both the bengals and the vikings.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                Looks like the Chargers were able to move the ball and score through the air yesterday. Gordon's portion of the running game sucked too. AND Rivers wasn't carted off the field in a coffin. So +1 Steve. Good call for yesterday's game.
                Steve's plan to pass more than run worked because, for whatever reason, the Chargers pass blocked for the first time this past weekend. That's not something I saw coming.

Most of the passes, however, were quick-developing pass plays, which are not part of Steve's plan. When nobody was open, Rivers didn't go with the Reich/Norv chuck-and-suck strategy of hanging onto the football until he got hit or made a hurried pass. He just threw the ball away like he did the two years he wasn't coached by Norv or Reich. Hopefully that's the strategy going forward, but I have my doubts it will be. The chuck-and-suck seems to be our way even though we don't have the pass blockers for it.

The running game didn't work right off the bat, so we quit on it. In this case, that ended up being the winning strategy - so Steve was right and I was wrong about that.

However - why the fuck did we give up so much for a running back if he isn't going to be a major part of our game plan this season? Just like AJ and Norv seemed to never discuss whether a fullback was necessary - it seems McCoy and Telesco didn't communicate on the importance of a running back. If we're going to be a pure passing team, then we should have kept our first round pick this year and picked somebody that would help the team McCoy has as his vision.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Look to the future, how old is Woodhead? How long untill he looses a step? A year? Two maybe? By then Gordone will become Gorgon! If he keeps improving that is. Woodhead will be gone and hopefully we have a mini-Rivers weighting in the on deck circle. Oliver will be groomed to be a third down back if Gordon can't catch otherwise he will be fresh legs on a bowling ball frame that can catch.
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                    Look to the future, how old is Woodhead? How long untill he looses a step? A year? Two maybe? By then Gordone will become Gorgon! If he keeps improving that is. Woodhead will be gone and hopefully we have a mini-Rivers weighting in the on deck circle. Oliver will be groomed to be a third down back if Gordon can't catch otherwise he will be fresh legs on a bowling ball frame that can catch.
                    You're forgetting that I don't give a shit about the future of the Los Angeles Spanoses. But, if I did, my point would still be valid.

Gordon is already fantastic. Anybody who doesn't see his talent is blind. The dude is getting over 4 yards per carry behind an O'line that has yet to throw a block for him.

He's not going to improve as a runner - this is as good as it gets. He might improve at pass blocking and ball protection, but none of that will make us more of a balanced offense. We are a pass-happy team that quits on the run if it doesn't work immediately and continuously. That's fine - but it makes our trading up in the draft for a running back seem ridiculous.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                      You're forgetting that I don't give a shit about the future of the Los Angeles Spanoses. But, if I did, my point would still be valid.

Gordon is already fantastic. Anybody who doesn't see his talent is blind. The dude is getting over 4 yards per carry behind an O'line that has yet to throw a block for him.

He's not going to improve as a runner - this is as good as it gets. He might improve at pass blocking and ball protection, but none of that will make us more of a balanced offense. We are a pass-happy team that quits on the run if it doesn't work immediately and continuously. That's fine - but it makes our trading up in the draft for a running back seem ridiculous.
                      Maybe not. Seems like coaches plan was to bring him along slowly and ease him in with the luxury of a veteran like Woodhead getting a fair share of snaps. Since Woodhead is averaging more yards per carry than Gordon is, that isn't such a bad thing. If we ever get a decent lead in the second half of a game, I expect he'll get more carries.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Maybe not. Seems like coaches plan was to bring him along slowly and ease him in with the luxury of a veteran like Woodhead getting a fair share of snaps. Since Woodhead is averaging more yards per carry than Gordon is, that isn't such a bad thing. If we ever get a decent lead in the second half of a game, I expect he'll get more carries.
                        Well, yes. If passing ever does give us a big lead, I wouldn't be surprised if we get away from what was working.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Engine Engine Number 420 View Post
                          Well, yes. If passing ever does give us a big lead, I wouldn't be surprised if we get away from what was working.
                          A big complaint here is how conservative McCoy is - you really think he is going to keep on passing if we get a lead? I'm skeptical.

Comment

Working...
                          X