Clear All
  • Antonio's Gates
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

My Chargers-Bears Review

just finished the replay.

QB:

- Rivers was solid. Stuck in the pocket, made his reads and made the correct throws. The interception was just bad luck with Allen tripping up with the corner. I actually think that could of easily been called a PI but I can see how it wasn't since the guy was looking at the ball. As for the fumble, any QB would have fumbled that. He got blasted and didn't see it coming. Thank Starks for that one although I must say, McClellan made a hell of a move on him

- Whitehurst was solid.

- Sorensen was good again. Great poise, big arm and the game isn't too big for him. Would love to see him against 2nd stringers. Maybe that happens the fourth preseason game. I can't see him not making the 53.

RB:

- Mathews was fast, ran with power and didn't dance in the backfield. He looks determined. Also was solid in pass pro once again.

- Didn't see Ronnie Brown

- Baker has some speed and runs angry. Thought he looked better than Michael Hill who has butterfingers but does have potential as a runner. He's a practice squad candidate.

WR/TE:

- Allen made one HELL of a catch at the 2:00 minute mark of the 2nd quarter. If you have the game taped, go back and watch just how good of a catch it was. The dude literally caught it while sitting down. Very next play, Allen gets physical with the DB and gets good seperation and makes another nice catch. The muffed punt was unacceptable obviously.

- Green was the standout today amongst this group today. Big and fast. I hope Whiz starts using him with the first string over Royal. Put Allen or Green in the slot. I'd like to see which nickel corner could cover Green.

- Gates looked pretty fast on that 20 yarder. That's the fastest I've seen him in a long time.

- Willie showed some mental toughness bouncing back from that vicious hit by Bostic. Just doing what he's been doing all camp, playing physical and catching everything thrown his way. He has to make the 53.

- I don't know why but I like Tasker. I would put him on the PS for when Royal gets injured. I would have him be our KR/PR because he's smart and I trust him but I doubt he makes the 53.

OL:

- Dunlap solid, especially in pass pro. He is head and shoulders above Starks. Funny moment at the 13:10 mark of the 3rd quarter where he blocks his own guy. Popped him pretty good (I think it was schilling)

- Becton was going up against third stringers but he jumped out. At the 9:40 mark of the 4th quarter he just stonewalls his guy with one arm. He gave up zero pressures. Looked better than Starks but keep in mind who he was going up against. Love his long arms and he's fairly athletic. In the run game he likes to go low on defenders which I like from tackles. Neither Dunlap or Starks do that.

- Clary I thought looked good for the second straight week. He gave up one sack but Rivers had plenty of time to throw on that play. That was the only pressure Clary gave up. I love his move to guard and this coming from someone who has hated him for awhile now. His hands are aggressive and seems to pancake his guy a lot (he's done this 2 weeks in a row now). I don't like him pulling however. He was late on one of them and it resulted in a loss.

- Rinehart had another solid all around game. Pancaked Bostic at the 2:50 mark in the 2nd quarter. Equally solid in pass pro and in the run game.

- Mike Harris is brutal. 13:25 mark of the 4th quarter commits the dumbest fucking penalty of the game where he clotheslines a guy that runs past him when the RB was already ahead of him. No need for it. Just so dumb. Would be a crime if he made it over Becton. Becton should be the 2nd string LT with Starks as the backup RT. Starks gave up that one sack but outside of that didn't give up any other pressures. He's probably too old and slow for LT now but he could be alright at RT.

DEFENSE

DL:

- Liuget was dominant.

- Freeney once again with pressure. He looks fast. He's going to hunt this season.

- English had a couple of pressures and I thought he was solid in the run game.

- Johnson looks better than he did last year. Did however get owned on the long Forte run where the edge was his responsibility.

- Scafe was up and down. Made two plays that stood out. One was at the 4:51 mark of the 2nd quarter. Great pursuit across the line. The second play was at the 9:17 mark of the 3rd quarter where he showed good awareness and sniffed out a screen.

- Wynn was brutal. Missed tackles and gets pushed back pretty consistently.

- Geathers made some plays just like he did last week. 9:57 mark in the 3rd he pancakes the center but that play didn't count because of a false start. 12:20 mark of the 4th he fires off the line to stop the RB in the backfield. He's looked better than Wynn and with Thomas' ability to play some end, could play ahead of Wynn (if wynn even makes the team). He can contribute right away, just not sure how much. Also, I expect him to block a FG at some point this year.

- Harrell was terrible, I don't know how he's lasted this long. Can't get off a block to save his life. Not even going to pay attention to him anymore.

- McFarland made some plays late in the game. Might be a practice squad candidate. Didn't see Jerideau but it doesn't matter, he's not making the team.

LB:

- Bird is always around the ball. Doesn't really shed blocks well however. Good on special teams and a solid backup but that's about all he is.

- DJ Smith had a solid solid game. Forced a fumble on special teams but played well on defense too. 3:29 mark 3rd quarter diagnosis the run well and shows good pursuit/speed to make the tackle. He should be the main backup ILB before long.

- Beltre is a tough strong player and hustles his ass off. Good against the run. Sets the edge pretty well. His tackling needs work. Missed some tackles on special teams. I wonder how he would look at ILB. He might be a better fit there because he's got speed but he has no pass rush moves whatsoever and is undersized at OLB. He's looked better than Tourek Williams lately. Tourek had one pressure where he smashed the QB but he was unblocked.

DB:

No one really stood out in a good or bad way. Gilchrist is going to be good in the run game. He gets his nose in there. Addae made some plays on defense. At the 6:33 mark of the 2nd quarter he blows up the FB and makes the tackle showing good downhill pursuit. He was not very good on special teams though. Didn't notice Cattouse. That race is going to be tight. I think one of them will make it. Would like to see Brandon Taylor in the next few weeks.

Top 3 Players: Sorensen, Green, Mathews. (special mention: Becton)

Bottom 3: Wynn for missing tackles and getting trucked, Starks for nearly getting Rivers killed and Mike Harris for being mentally challenged.
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Antonio's Gates View Post
    just finished the replay.

QB:

- Rivers was solid. Stuck in the pocket, made his reads and made the correct throws. The interception was just bad luck with Allen tripping up with the corner. I actually think that could of easily been called a PI but I can see how it wasn't since the guy was looking at the ball. As for the fumble, any QB would have fumbled that. He got blasted and didn't see it coming. Thank Starks for that one although I must say, McClellan made a hell of a move on him

- Whitehurst was solid.

- Sorensen was good again. Great poise, big arm and the game isn't too big for him. Would love to see him against 2nd stringers. Maybe that happens the fourth preseason game. I can't see him not making the 53.

RB:

- Mathews was fast, ran with power and didn't dance in the backfield. He looks determined. Also was solid in pass pro once again.

- Didn't see Ronnie Brown

- Baker has some speed and runs angry. Thought he looked better than Michael Hill who has butterfingers but does have potential as a runner. He's a practice squad candidate.

WR/TE:

- Allen made one HELL of a catch at the 2:00 minute mark of the 2nd quarter. If you have the game taped, go back and watch just how good of a catch it was. The dude literally caught it while sitting down. Very next play, Allen gets physical with the DB and gets good seperation and makes another nice catch. The muffed punt was unacceptable obviously.

- Green was the standout today amongst this group today. Big and fast. I hope Whiz starts using him with the first string over Royal. Put Allen or Green in the slot. I'd like to see which nickel corner could cover Green.

- Gates looked pretty fast on that 20 yarder. That's the fastest I've seen him in a long time.

- Willie showed some mental toughness bouncing back from that vicious hit by Bostic. Just doing what he's been doing all camp, playing physical and catching everything thrown his way. He has to make the 53.

- I don't know why but I like Tasker. I would put him on the PS for when Royal gets injured. I would have him be our KR/PR because he's smart and I trust him but I doubt he makes the 53.

OL:

- Dunlap solid, especially in pass pro. He is head and shoulders above Starks. Funny moment at the 13:10 mark of the 3rd quarter where he blocks his own guy. Popped him pretty good (I think it was schilling)

- Becton was going up against third stringers but he jumped out. At the 9:40 mark of the 4th quarter he just stonewalls his guy with one arm. He gave up zero pressures. Looked better than Starks but keep in mind who he was going up against. Love his long arms and he's fairly athletic. In the run game he likes to go low on defenders which I like from tackles. Neither Dunlap or Starks do that.

- Clary I thought looked good for the second straight week. He gave up one sack but Rivers had plenty of time to throw on that play. That was the only pressure Clary gave up. I love his move to guard and this coming from someone who has hated him for awhile now. His hands are aggressive and seems to pancake his guy a lot (he's done this 2 weeks in a row now). I don't like him pulling however. He was late on one of them and it resulted in a loss.

- Rinehart had another solid all around game. Pancaked Bostic at the 2:50 mark in the 2nd quarter. Equally solid in pass pro and in the run game.

- Mike Harris is brutal. 13:25 mark of the 4th quarter commits the dumbest fucking penalty of the game where he clotheslines a guy that runs past him when the RB was already ahead of him. No need for it. Just so dumb. Would be a crime if he made it over Becton. Becton should be the 2nd string LT with Starks as the backup RT. Starks gave up that one sack but outside of that didn't give up any other pressures. He's probably too old and slow for LT now but he could be alright at RT.

DEFENSE

DL:

- Liuget was dominant.

- Freeney once again with pressure. He looks fast. He's going to hunt this season.

- English had a couple of pressures and I thought he was solid in the run game.

- Johnson looks better than he did last year. Did however get owned on the long Forte run where the edge was his responsibility.

- Scafe was up and down. Made two plays that stood out. One was at the 4:51 mark of the 2nd quarter. Great pursuit across the line. The second play was at the 9:17 mark of the 3rd quarter where he showed good awareness and sniffed out a screen.

- Wynn was brutal. Missed tackles and gets pushed back pretty consistently.

- Geathers made some plays just like he did last week. 9:57 mark in the 3rd he pancakes the center but that play didn't count because of a false start. 12:20 mark of the 4th he fires off the line to stop the RB in the backfield. He's looked better than Wynn and with Thomas' ability to play some end, could play ahead of Wynn (if wynn even makes the team). He can contribute right away, just not sure how much. Also, I expect him to block a FG at some point this year.

- Harrell was terrible, I don't know how he's lasted this long. Can't get off a block to save his life. Not even going to pay attention to him anymore.

- McFarland made some plays late in the game. Might be a practice squad candidate. Didn't see Jerideau but it doesn't matter, he's not making the team.

LB:

- Bird is always around the ball. Doesn't really shed blocks well however. Good on special teams and a solid backup but that's about all he is.

- DJ Smith had a solid solid game. Forced a fumble on special teams but played well on defense too. 3:29 mark 3rd quarter diagnosis the run well and shows good pursuit/speed to make the tackle. He should be the main backup ILB before long.

- Beltre is a tough strong player and hustles his ass off. Good against the run. Sets the edge pretty well. His tackling needs work. Missed some tackles on special teams. I wonder how he would look at ILB. He might be a better fit there because he's got speed but he has no pass rush moves whatsoever and is undersized at OLB. He's looked better than Tourek Williams lately. Tourek had one pressure where he smashed the QB but he was unblocked.

DB:

No one really stood out in a good or bad way. Gilchrist is going to be good in the run game. He gets his nose in there. Addae made some plays on defense. At the 6:33 mark of the 2nd quarter he blows up the FB and makes the tackle showing good downhill pursuit. He was not very good on special teams though. Didn't notice Cattouse. That race is going to be tight. I think one of them will make it. Would like to see Brandon Taylor in the next few weeks.

Top 3 Players: Sorensen, Green, Mathews. (special mention: Becton)

Bottom 3: Wynn for missing tackles and getting trucked, Starks for nearly getting Rivers killed and Mike Harris for being mentally challenged.
    Good analysis.

Mike Harris, I think, has proven to be a prudent and thought-out starter at LT last year. We're already better. Even if it's not that good. Better.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

I think CBJ had a very good game, aside from the fumbled snap (not sure whether it was him or the center anyway).

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        I think CBJ had a very good game, aside from the fumbled snap (not sure whether it was him or the center anyway).
        i think that one was on hardwick. looked like he snapped it into his own asshole.

btw it was nice to see mccoy get hot on the sidelines. you know norv wouldn't of given two shits lol.
        Last edited by Antonio's Gates; 08-15-2013, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

LOL...

Comment

• Screeme
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

i think that one was on hardwick. looked like he snapped it into his own asshole.
            Dilfer was saying on TV Whitehurst has to push up and go get the ball, but I'm with you.. It looked to me like Hardwick flubbed the snap and planted it square in his nutsack.

I felt like this was sort of a bizarro game last week. The reserves all played a lot better, first stringers a notch back. So at this point I don't know what to think.

I think Rivers first pick wasn't bad luck, the CB jumped that route and fell down, tripping the WR. If he didn't fall, I think the CB may have had the INT himself; plus, his fumbles are becoming a problem. I don't know why he gets a pass on this, he had 15 fumbles last season!

The OL looked decent but we kept making dunderheaded mistakes. Fluker and Clary and Starks all got beat badly once, each time was pretty fatal to the drive. Gates dropped an easy pass, Allen flubbing the punt (I know, technically not offense, but a guy we all have high hopes for).

I'm still pretty high on the defense. The O isn't helping them out a lot giving them short fields to protect; but they seem to be on the right track anyway. Freeney and Johnson both look ready to roll.. I'm excited to see what happens when Pagano starts to actually plan these games.

Comment

• Beerman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Eastlake
              • Send PM

I'll say it again, McCoy needs to stay out of 4 wide and 5 wide sets. We just don't have the pass protection to support those formations. If they do run these formations, it better be a quick slant or a bunch formation and a WR screen. Rivers can't afford to take a 5-7 step drop with just his base 5 lineman as protection. It has ended badly on multiple occasions. A TE or RB needs to be chipping those pass rushers.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                I'll say it again, McCoy needs to stay out of 4 wide and 5 wide sets. We just don't have the pass protection to support those formations. If they do run these formations, it better be a quick slant or a bunch formation and a WR screen. Rivers can't afford to take a 5-7 step drop with just his base 5 lineman as protection. It has ended badly on multiple occasions. A TE or RB needs to be chipping those pass rushers.
                it worked with dunlap in there.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

it worked with dunlap in there.
                  For how many plays?
                  Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• TTK
                    EX-Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • America's Finest City
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                    They could be trying out different things since it is preseason since they're having to figure out what's going to work. When it comes to the regular season, I don't expect McCoy and Whiz to be as stubborn and stupid as Norv was.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                      For how many plays?
                      dont know. too lazy to go back again and look but dunlap didnt give up any pressures.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

dont know. too lazy to go back again and look but dunlap didnt give up any pressures.
                        on 12 pass plays a guy that is known as a good pass blocker but horrible run blocker didn't give up any pressure.

In 12 plays almost anyone other than Starks, Fluker and Clary can do that
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                        X