Clear All
  • TABF
    Por debajo del promedio
    • Jun 2013
    • SoCal
    • Send PM

Dance with the one you brung

Hindsight is always 20/20...but damn!

Set the stage: Best opening drive all season long, quick passes, dink/dunk, TD San Diego, momentum on our side early. D did their job all first half long and we could not find a way to get another sustained drive until the 4th quarter. I thought our play calling sucked, I thought our discipline sucked and I thought our offensive approach was fouled after our first drive. Once we got off script (even remoltey), we appeared to be shotting form the hip, something no Charger coach has been good at since Don Coryell.

We cannot run the ball, yet for some reason we try to prove we can which forces us into bad down/distance and our out of the mall onto the field offensive line is not equipped to stop a defensive front that has its ears pinned back. Why not continue to feed the TE's the rock all first game long until the burgh proves they can stop it.

In recent memory I cannot think of a Chargers team that knew how to go for the jugular, step on the gas etc etc. I think we missed that opportunity big time yesterday.
  • Maverick
    (Coryellian)
    • Jun 2013
    • Point Loma
    • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
    In recent memory I cannot think of a Chargers team that knew how to go for the jugular, step on the gas etc etc. I think we missed that opportunity big time yesterday.
    THIS!

Yesterday's loss cuts especially deep.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

How is yesterday's meaningless loss any more 'cutting' then the other gut-wrenching losses we've sustained over the past, oh, 10 years? It really pales in comparison to some of THOSE doozies, IMO.

And one drive does not a game make. In fact, that first drive was just a pitch and catch between Gates and Rivers. How long do you think we could have kept that up before Pittsburgh adjusted?

Comment

• MakoShark
        Disgruntled
        • Jun 2013
        • North Alabama
        • Send PM

After the initial drive, we killed ourselves with bad penalties on offense and ST that put us not only behind in down and distance, but in bad field position. All things considered I was surprised we took a lead into halftime. I knew if the offense didn't sustain some drives and start moving the chains in the 2nd half, that the D would get gassed and falter in the end.
        sigpic

Comment

• TTK
          EX-Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • America's Finest City
          • Send PM

I just wish they would let Gordon run outside sometimes.

And I haven't looked this up so I have no stats to back me up but it sure does seem like we like to run on 1st down a lot. Seems very predictable from sitting on my couch.

Comment

• Maverick
            (Coryellian)
            • Jun 2013
            • Point Loma
            • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
            How is yesterday's meaningless loss any more 'cutting' then the other gut-wrenching losses we've sustained over the past, oh, 10 years?
            Moreso from a personal standpoint....I had my best bud & his son (both of whom are steelers fans) in town this weekend for the game. GREAT weekend otherwise.....

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
              Moreso from a personal standpoint....I had my best bud & his son (both of whom are steelers fans) in town this weekend for the game. GREAT weekend otherwise.....
              I hope they weren't too hard on you. The season ticket holders on both sides of my seats sold their tickets to Steeler fans. They weren't terribly obnoxious, but they sure were loud. Sigh.

Comment

• Maverick
                (Coryellian)
                • Jun 2013
                • Point Loma
                • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                I hope they weren't too hard on you. The season ticket holders on both sides of my seats sold their tickets to Steeler fans. They weren't terribly obnoxious, but they sure were loud. Sigh.
                Haha...no, fortunately they are both really great Americans & didn't give me or my son too much grief.

Our boys are both the same age (10 years old), & it was my buddy's kid's first ever live NFL game....so for him to see such a great game with his team coming out the winner on the last play was pretty special for him.

If there was ANY silver lining to last night's ending (& trust me, I am having to man-up in a major way just to find one), THAT was it.

As for ME....well, I did my best to be gracious in the loss....but I am still a wreck.

Comment

• Maverick
                  (Coryellian)
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Point Loma
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  The season ticket holders on both sides of my seats sold their tickets to Steeler fans. They weren't terribly obnoxious, but they sure were loud. Sigh.
                  The Steelers literally took over our stadium. It was awful where I sit. Most were just loud, like you alluded to....but there were some really trashy/thuggy Steeler fans, one group of which got in a really nasty fight (which NEVER happens in my section, P8....even at Raider games).

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
                    Hindsight is always 20/20...but damn!

Set the stage: Best opening drive all season long, quick passes, dink/dunk, TD San Diego, momentum on our side early. D did their job all first half long and we could not find a way to get another sustained drive until the 4th quarter. I thought our play calling sucked, I thought our discipline sucked and I thought our offensive approach was fouled after our first drive. Once we got off script (even remoltey), we appeared to be shotting form the hip, something no Charger coach has been good at since Don Coryell.

We cannot run the ball, yet for some reason we try to prove we can which forces us into bad down/distance and our out of the mall onto the field offensive line is not equipped to stop a defensive front that has its ears pinned back. Why not continue to feed the TE's the rock all first game long until the burgh proves they can stop it.

Well then next year we need to go Fonzie style and bring 20 olinemen AND Pinky and the Tuskadaro's!
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Tom Krasovic ‏@UTkrasovic 2h2 hours ago

For now, Chargers have fundamental talent issues. When is OL stable? When is base pass rush strong? Why has the lead CB lagged since Dec.?
                      That pretty much sums it up.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maverick View Post

As for ME....well, I did my best to be gracious in the loss....but I am still a wreck.
                        Yeah but you're a wreck whether the team wins or loses
                        Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

Working...
                        X