Welcome Deane Leonard, CB, Mississippi (R7, #236)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SuperCharged
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Utah
    • Midnight Toker
    • Send PM

I think we really addressed the needs of this team. Would have maybe like to have seen a burner WR project taken. Deeper, faster, and stronger.

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Found some of him playing

He usually lines up as the field side CB on the #1 WR, but sometimes as a 3 deep CB. Vs Trips they like to use him pressing the #2 WR.

His stats
      Deane Leonard (24) DB - ACADEMIC HIGHLIGHTS  • Chancellor's Honor Roll (Fall 2020, Spring 2021)  • SEC First-Year A...

In order: I like to watch games in order when I can, you can see players progress more that way.

Louisville: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhlN...=DoABarrowRoll
      Alabama: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqTJ...=DoABarrowRoll
      Tennessee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni0M...=DoABarrowRoll
      Texas A&M: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Zl...hannel=emerald
      Vanderbilt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDe7...el=TheQBSchool

Another video of Ole Miss D, but Leonard didn't play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA0K...=DoABarrowRoll

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
        I think we really addressed the needs of this team. Would have maybe like to have seen a burner WR project taken. Deeper, faster, and stronger.
        Reported.
        jk.
        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Found some of him playing

He usually lines up as the field side CB on the #1 WR, but sometimes as a 3 deep CB. Vs Trips they like to use him pressing the #2 WR.

His stats
          Deane Leonard (24) DB - ACADEMIC HIGHLIGHTS  • Chancellor's Honor Roll (Fall 2020, Spring 2021)  • SEC First-Year A...

In order: I like to watch games in order when I can, you can see players progress more that way.

Louisville: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhlN...=DoABarrowRoll
          Alabama: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqTJ...=DoABarrowRoll
          Tennessee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni0M...=DoABarrowRoll
          Texas A&M: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Zl...hannel=emerald
          Vanderbilt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDe7...el=TheQBSchool

Another video of Ole Miss D, but Leonard didn't play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA0K...=DoABarrowRoll
          They probably accidently ran across this guy while scouting Spiller. The Texas game they hardly threw the ball his way. They definitely are interested in kicking the tires and driving him around the block. Could be a sleeper given he only played one season in the USA.

:shock:
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• SuperCharged
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Utah
            • Midnight Toker
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Reported.
            jk.
            :whistlin:

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Deane Leonard sounds like the term that people like to used. Either this pick or the Ja'Sir Taylor one is my least favorite pick in this years draft.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
                Deane Leonard sounds like the term that people like to used. Either this pick or the Ja'Sir Taylor one is my least favorite pick in this years draft.
                On the plus side, old tires could probably beat out Campbell and Hall. Welcome to our new CBs!

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

The thing is when I watched him in the games above, teams just don't throw at him that much. I don't have the all 22, but that certainly implies that he is a strong coverage player. Just not a very good ball athlete.

A little bit early in the year he did get thrown at, but then as the season went on, not so much. Some of that was probably because the QB didn't have the confidence to make the throws. But if there is room, usually a college QB will take a chance and try to make the big throw, especially the guys with big arms, and they played a couple of them.

The other thing is that the secondary coverage is a lot of man, and matchup zones from a 2 deep/split secondary look, so the college version of the same (coverage) systems that we use. He is also fast to the ball, somewhat because of his speed, but he reacts quickly and doesn't waste a lot of motion.

Don't get me wrong, he needs to get more physical and become a better tackler. He is a better tackler than JT Woods, but not as good as he could be. To me, it just looks like he needs to work on not flying around out of control and then just confidence from doing something over and over. I think he is a very good late draft pick.

He is not for everyone. You don't want a guy like him up close to the line, in the slot and ask him to play like a LB, asking him to stop the run dn fill gaps (a lot of NB and dime DB are asked to do that, like Adrian Phillips used to). He is still a good nickle/dime DB, just you want him playing off the ball, lining up way outside or off the ball and ready to come up and tackle. But the more he is in space, the better, more comfortable he is.

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    The thing is when I watched him in the games above, teams just don't throw at him that much. I don't have the all 22, but that certainly implies that he is a strong coverage player. Just not a very good ball athlete.

A little bit early in the year he did get thrown at, but then as the season went on, not so much. Some of that was probably because the QB didn't have the confidence to make the throws. But if there is room, usually a college QB will take a chance and try to make the big throw, especially the guys with big arms, and they played a couple of them.

The other thing is that the secondary coverage is a lot of man, and matchup zones from a 2 deep/split secondary look, so the college version of the same (coverage) systems that we use. He is also fast to the ball, somewhat because of his speed, but he reacts quickly and doesn't waste a lot of motion.

Don't get me wrong, he needs to get more physical and become a better tackler. He is a better tackler than JT Woods, but not as good as he could be. To me, it just looks like he needs to work on not flying around out of control and then just confidence from doing something over and over. I think he is a very good late draft pick.

He is not for everyone. You don't want a guy like him up close to the line, in the slot and ask him to play like a LB, asking him to stop the run dn fill gaps (a lot of NB and dime DB are asked to do that, like Adrian Phillips used to). He is still a good nickle/dime DB, just you want him playing off the ball, lining up way outside or off the ball and ready to come up and tackle. But the more he is in space, the better, more comfortable he is.
                    Before the draft Herbert was a bust! After the draft everyone was thinking where did we go wrong in evaluations. If any of these DBs are coachable and have intrinsic traits that were gifted to them naturally any player can make it!

:cheers:

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Ontario , Canada
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                      Emory Hunt knows CFL--NFL prospects like no one's business !

He sees traits that translate well to our game and scheme.
                      FYI there are many Canadians actually on the roster. There was an article yesterday in the Toronto Sun listing the players. Something in the maple syrup perhaps.

"In a surprise on Saturday, a one-time Canadian university player — former University of Calgary (in Alberta, Canada) Dinos cornerback Deane Leonard — was taken by the Canadians-loving Los Angeles Chargers with the 15th pick of the seventh round, 236th overall.

Leonard was rated only the No. 56 cornerback in the draft by Dane Brugler of TheAthletic.com. He had transferred to the University of Mississippi and played two seasons with the Rebels. But he was timed this year at a blazing-fast speed of 4.37 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

Leonard will become the sixth Canadian this spring on the Chargers’ 90-man roster — along with Toronto cornerback Tevaughn Campbell, Vancouver defensive tackle Christian Covington, Calgary linebacker Amen Ogbongbemiga, Brampton wide receiver Josh Palmer and North Bay, Ont., offensive lineman Ryan Hunter. "
                      There were lots of articles about Josh Palmer in the local papers here last year too. He played high school in Brampton (near Toronto) than transferred to a high school in Ft Lauderdale, then U of Tennessee.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

FYI there are many Canadians actually on the roster. There was an article yesterday in the Toronto Sun listing the players. Something in the maple syrup perhaps.

There were lots of articles about Josh Palmer in the local papers here last year too. He played high school in Brampton (near Toronto) than transferred to a high school in Ft Lauderdale, then U of Tennessee.
                        Yep.
                        Definitely a phenomenon.
                        Tevaughn Campbell..
                        Jamal Davis.
                        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Cdn Bolt View Post

Change our name to the California Canucks!?!?!

:hello:

Comment

Working...
                          X