Those AJ years sure were bad weren't they?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those AJ years sure were bad weren't they?

Right now i'm missing those years, this really sucks. Not sure we have improved at all over the Norv Regime
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

AJ had a couple of good years and then slowly ran the team into mediocrity. TT has turned over almost the entire roster and we now have one of the youngest rosters in the league. We'll see how it turns out but something had to change.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Marty knew what he wanted, Norv took what he was given.
      Go Rivers!

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I posted yesterday that AJ lived off of the rep he got for the Eli trade and I stand by it.

Comment

• homeless simpson
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
          I posted yesterday that AJ lived off of the rep he got for the Eli trade and I stand by it.
          Not counting 2003, he was fortunate enough to hit on nearly every single one of his moves early both with the draft, free agency and trades which turned the team around in such a short amount of time.

Ex: the ol in 2004 only had 1 player from the year before (fonoti), two new starters from fa/trade (oben, Goff) two rookie starters from the draft (Hardwick, olivea)

All other additions of note: Keenan mccardell, Foley, Godfrey plus olshansky and kaeding were starters as rookies.

All other drafted players that made an impact later on: Rivers, Scifres, Sproles, McNeill, MTurner, VJ, Merriman.

Telesco has not had the good fortune of his acquisitions making such a large impact in a short amount of time ( because of injuries or the players just outright sucked)

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Yeah, they were key additions but the Eli trade made him into a "legend", and after that bonanza that included Merriman and Kaeding a year later, his picks and acquisitions were sketchy at best. Additionally, many of those players you point out that he acquired he let leave without an adequate replacement. He was at best, meteoric as far as his GM skills.

Comment

We had 2 chances to win a Championship as far as I am concerned during his tenure. We are lightyears from that right now.

Yay we have young undisciplined players that are soft and cant stay on the field. This whole organization need a culture change, just dont think we have the brains upstairs to get it done. People come here work hard get paid and go on vacation.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Hard4SanDiego View Post
                We had 2 chances to win a Championship as far as I am concerned during his tenure. We are lightyears from that right now.

Yay we have young undisciplined players that are soft and cant stay on the field. This whole organization need a culture change, just dont think we have the brains upstairs to get it done. People come here work hard get paid and go on vacation.
                We just had a massive culture change, ridding the team of the toxic AJ days. When guys like Gil Brandt visit the team and come away impressed by what he sees in McCoy, Telesco and the people surrounding them than I feel like we are headed in the right direction. They aren't perfect and we clearly need to solve the injury issue but I'm not nearly as pessimisitc as some here about the future of the team.

Comment

• Geezbolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Sun Valley, ID
                  • Send PM

If I thought McCoy had lost this team, I would tend to agree with you. But I'm not seeing that at all. I see a young guy who is determined to turn this around and I think he will get it done. He is showing no sign of throwing in the towel. I believe he is one who continually evaluates his team's performance and has the ability to learn and adjust. I feel safe in saying that along with a couple of other posters on this board, I have waited longer than anyone here for a championship. Now admittedly, I got to see one in 1963, but 52 years is a long time to wait for a second. That said, I've seen good and bad coaches come through America's finest city. IMO, this guy is not a bad coach. Give Mike McCoy and TT the benefit of the doubt. If you want to get rid of them, remember the old saying, "be careful what you wish for".

Comment

• TABF
                    Por debajo del promedio
                    • Jun 2013
                    • SoCal
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    AJ had a couple of good years and then slowly ran the team into mediocrity. TT has turned over almost the entire roster and we now have one of the youngest rosters in the league. We'll see how it turns out but something had to change.
                    We really are a product of our leadership (as with most things in life)... Our owners have not been committed to anything other than self wealth (let alone winning) as evidence by far too many things to write it down. Think about it... Not many successful business models start with a lunch box making the final decisions. Credit Spani' for growing the business 1000+ percent from the time of purchase, however, the NFL Brand has much more to do w/their financial success than they do. Not bad for an ownership family that has essentially been along the great NFL ride for the last 30 years.

I GOT MINE-

Comment

• KYBoltsFan
                      THERE'S A GLEAM, MEN
                      Generous Donor
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

AJ also benefitted from several years of a non-competitive AFC West, which made us look better than we were at times, and therefore kept Norv Turner employed (which was the real problem). Ultimately it circles back to wussy ownership and a franchise that historically has a real problem handling and thereby sustaining any modicum of success.
                      NO SIGNATURE REQUIRED

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
                        We really are a product of our leadership (as with most things in life)... Our owners have not been committed to anything other than self wealth (let alone winning) as evidence by far too many things to write it down. Think about it... Not many successful business models start with a lunch box making the final decisions. Credit Spani' for growing the business 1000+ percent from the time of purchase, however, the NFL Brand has much more to do w/their financial success than they do. Not bad for an ownership family that has essentially been along the great NFL ride for the last 30 years.

I GOT MINE-
                        I'm not sure it's been all about ROI with them as they've spent big dollars on some seriously crap free agents. I think it's more an issue of ego, incompetence and being tone deaf.

Comment

Working...
                        X