• Jun 2013
    • Send PM

And now a word from Frank Riech

Go Rivers!
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

and the protection we have, which has been good.
    OK, totally out of touch. Somebody call Trump. We've got a little job for him to do.

Comment

• SDFan
      Woober Goober
      • Jun 2013
      • Dolores, CO
      • Retired
      • Send PM

time to dust off something I've been ruminating on for some time now... I think it was 1998 and Gunther Cunningham was the Chefs new Head Coach. I was at a preseason game against the Chefs at the Q, and the Chefs running game looked HORRIBLE. Pretty much like ours has the last couple years. They started trying to run right from the beginning of the game and kept at it until the end. Extremely bad blocking and cohesion by the OL with RBs hit in the backfield just as they got the ball, no 2nd level blocking, vanilla run plays and on and on. It was comical to watch and we decided right there THE CHEFS WOULD SUCK THIS YEAR and Chargers would easily sweep them! Turned out not to be the case. In the regular season they had a formidable running game and finished 9-7. Don't think we swept them either. Moral of the story is, the HC was absolutely determined they would have a running game to lean on along with a stout defense and just kept practicing until they got good. Going all the way back to NOrv, I never see us out there pounding it until we get it right in preseason and they spend more time on the passing game experimenting with different personnel groups than anything else and then don't play our best RBs hardly at all in preseason (that began with "saving LT cause we knew what he could do and didn't need to risk him getting hurt). There's a saying that you play in games the way you practice, and it seems to me that's been true of our running game for several years and not in a good way.
      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
        Grammar Police
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Committing to the run starts with committing the time to practicing the running game. It's clear we are not committed to anything but a social bj as far as our running game, we pay it alot of lip service, but its not comming allong because lips service is all our coaches do.
        Go Rivers!

Comment

• onelazyfock
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Exactly. It doesn't even matter if we suck at running the ball. You have to try to run the ball to keep the defense honest. I wish I could find the number of run plays under center and the number of snaps under center. Probably 50 run plays under center on the year...

Comment

The only thing I want to hear from Frank Reich is: "I'm excited for this opportunity in Denver."

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
              No Sir, I Dont Like It
              • Jun 2013
              • Section 457
              • Migrant Film Worker
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
              The only thing I want to hear from Frank Reich is: "I'm excited for this opportunity in Denver."
              Will you be here all week?
              Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
              sigpic

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                No Sir, I Dont Like It
                • Jun 2013
                • Section 457
                • Migrant Film Worker
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                time to dust off something I've been ruminating on for some time now... I think it was 1998 and Gunther Cunningham was the Chefs new Head Coach. I was at a preseason game against the Chefs at the Q, and the Chefs running game looked HORRIBLE. Pretty much like ours has the last couple years. They started trying to run right from the beginning of the game and kept at it until the end. Extremely bad blocking and cohesion by the OL with RBs hit in the backfield just as they got the ball, no 2nd level blocking, vanilla run plays and on and on. It was comical to watch and we decided right there THE CHEFS WOULD SUCK THIS YEAR and Chargers would easily sweep them! Turned out not to be the case. In the regular season they had a formidable running game and finished 9-7. Don't think we swept them either. Moral of the story is, the HC was absolutely determined they would have a running game to lean on along with a stout defense and just kept practicing until they got good. Going all the way back to NOrv, I never see us out there pounding it until we get it right in preseason and they spend more time on the passing game experimenting with different personnel groups than anything else and then don't play our best RBs hardly at all in preseason (that began with "saving LT cause we knew what he could do and didn't need to risk him getting hurt). There's a saying that you play in games the way you practice, and it seems to me that's been true of our running game for several years and not in a good way.
                Dead on! Preseason should be about executing. Not rest.
                This is how teams get soft.
                Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X