Rams @ Chargers Preseason Game Day Thread (PS #1)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

I watched the game again for kicks, it goes a lot faster without commercials

I know the chargers have added a lot of talent in FA and via trade, but most of those guys weren’t out there yesterday. I’m impressed with how much the back up guys that were already around last season have improved, i.e. rumph, jaimes, hunter, fehoko, christiansen, hall, pipkins, davis, reed, bandy, etc…, there seems to have been an across the board jump in skill level from last summer, Staley and the coaches deserve a ton of credit for that…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

A couple of things I saw that looked way better than last year.

1). The RB played with an appropriate sense of urgency. Last year, the thing that caught me about Kelley and Roundtree, was not their talent, or any ability, it was when they needed to play with patience, they were playing frantically, and when they were patient, they needed to be paying with more urgency. Roundtree didn't do anything amazing, but he did a good job of going north/south to get upfield. Nothing special, but better than last year. Kelley was decent too. Not much to show, but better than last season.

2). The secondary did a much better job of playing their assignments. On a 3rd down, the Rams put a guy in motion, changing the run force on the backside of the play, and as fast as the LB (Reeder) was calling out the adjustment, the secondary was adjusting their alignments. Reeder ended up making the tackle, but he did so because all the secondary guys on the perimeter got into position to make the 3rd down stop. Last year, even the starters were not good at making adjustments on the perimeter and getting into position.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
        That Fox + Rumph sack was beautiful. There should be no drop off in pass rush when Bosa/Mack rest now
        Yep...in fact, I'd like to use Rumph rotated in to allow both Bosa and Mack get a play or two off, especially in the 4th quarter, so they won't get so gassed...

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...in fact, I'd like to use Rumph rotated in to allow both Bosa and Mack get a play or two off, especially in the 4th quarter, so they won't get so gassed...
          Rumph is listed on the depth chart as Mack's back-up. Don't be surprised if Rumph gets a fair number of snaps in the first three quarters to keep Mack fresh for the 4th Q.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Rumph is listed on the depth chart as Mack's back-up. Don't be surprised if Rumph gets a fair number of snaps in the first three quarters to keep Mack fresh for the 4th Q.
            If Rumph can provide quality reps in relief of Mack, I'm a big fan of this idea. He looked significantly bigger than he did last year, and kept finding ways into the backfield. Really hoping to see more of this in the remaining pre-season games.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

He’s edge3 so he’ll see the field anout as much as fackrell did last season, with him being on STs too it means edge4 will probably get a fair share of snaps too…be interesting if it’ll be davis or egbule, I thought egbule had a bad game against the run and didn’t finish his tackles or sacks but apparently PFF thinks he was amazing on Saturday…Davis I thought held up against the run better and got some pressure despite playing less…too bad we didn’t get to see shelvin…
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Is that too much to ask?
                Yes. Michael Turner-like would be acceptable

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

If only. We didn't know how good we had it then, with LT, the Burner and Sproles on the roster. Now if Spiller turns out to be Turner-like I'll be happy.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

Excited to see Stick play the first half this week. If he has 2 more good performances. There is no reason to keep Daniels around. Herbert is smart enough and has Shane Day, Lombardi, Staley and his running mate Stick to go to.

I would absolutely, if it’s possible to bring Daniels in as the assistant QB coach. That would be great continuity for Herbert and Stick.

Herbert is going to make Lombardi a HC next year. Then Shane Day will be the OC. Daniels to QB coach. Herbert will then make Day a HC coaching candidate. Then Daniels is in position to be the next OC. If that is at all possible, That would be ideal for continuity in a system.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

No...use him in the first half of the game so both Bosa and Mack are fresh in the fourth quarter when needed!

:hello:
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Formula 21
                        The Future is Now
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Republic of San Diego
                        • Send PM

I felt sorry for the guy in the stands wearing the 99 jersey.
                        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                        The Wasted Decade is done.
                        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Charge!
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Turner was a bruiser type back...... Spiller is very smooth and elusive more like kurt Warner type RB(in style) or maybe like the Chiefs Clyde Edwards-Helaire?.... Spiller will be a type/style of back that Chargers have not had in a long time or maybe ever...... and fans will be surprised and happy .... =)

Comment

Working...
                          X