Clear All
  • charger1993
    Registered Charger Fan
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Winners and Losers of the First game of Preseason

Winners-
    Offense-
    Zion - showed a good anchor early on, active feet and hands, did get beat once but shit happens.
    Salyer- Showed a stout anchor, consistent through out the game, constantly got his hands inside the DLs chest and controlled the push, Looks like an excellent road grader.
    Bandy- Shifty, constantly got open, Showed quick cuts and good hands, hand a couple of almost catches, and unfortunately a pick that was on him.
    Spiller- showed the smoothness he showed in college, his willingness to pick up blockers, good hands, decisive, could improve his keeping his feet turning.
    Reed- Looked great on special teams, had the only real explosive game for us this game.be on the look out for him in the future.
    Havarth- Looked strong, quick and just overall thick. I think he easily beats out gabers.
    Kelly- Showed his new found explosiveness, light on his feet, unfortunately he didnt get many carries
    Stick- Showed he the back up, very live arm, kept us in the game, almost brought us back for ot

Defense-
    Rumph- Quick, Explosive, Great hand placement, showed his willingness to take on blockers, did have acouple of plays where he whiffed the sacks or tackles.
    Fehoko- Closes thing we've had to Jamal the Wall in a while, filled the gaps well, pushed through the gaps, and even showing up in the back field for a man his size.

Losers-
    Offense-
    Chase Daniels- Unfortunately his age has caught up to him and now his arm is just a limp noodle
    Pipkins /Norton- neither looked good tonight. Didnt see really any improvement
    Palmer- unfortunately tonight wasnt his night, didnt get much separation, dropped the passes that did come his way. just a bad night for him. mostly on daniels tho.
    Roundtree- didnt see anything that would say keep him
    Marks- see above
    the other runningback
    Clapp- i can see why he was a back up rotational olineman for the saints, my man had a night trying to keep his man from blowing by him.

Defense-
    Our entire Dbs- Everyone of them could not get their head around, multiple PI calls
    Leonard- im calling him out because he got beat for a td, then a 2 point conversion, and just got toasted all night
    Tillery- Constantly got blown up when he was in the game, always blown off the ball
    LBS- idk if i can say anything positive about them. just a tough night
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Bandy is shifty and can get hisself open, but he doesn't have major league hands. He let one deep pass from Stick go through his hands. It was an over-the-shoulder catch, and he may not have the elite ability to track those long balls like Guyton does. Letting that last pass go through his hands so the DB could intercept it was bush league. Unless he does something remarkable in the other two preseason games, he's nothing more than a practice squadder.

We didn't get to see a lot of Spiller so it's difficult to pass any kind of judgment. He looked good running the ball a few times, but he didn't do anything remarkable. I like forward to seeing more of him this preseason.

Kelley looked improved, but I still didn't see anything that was more than average from him. That may be OK though, if he's down the depth chart.

Rumph has to learn that getting to the QB or the ball carrier is only half the job, wrapping up the tackle is important too. It's going to be infuriating if he develops into one of those guys who can shed blocks and win at the LOS with speed, but can't tackle the freaking QB or RB.

Joe Reed caught that long TD that Daniels almost under-threw, but that was on blow coverage and he was standing in the end zone all by himself. I'm not convinced yet he's anything more than a practice squadder though.

Easton Stick was the star of the night, if you ask me. Working with guys who will be cut or on the practice squad, he moved the ball well, and damn, you know he woulda gotten the ball into the end zone on the last drive if Bandy hand not gifted the Rams an INT. I'd like to see Stick have some game time working with a real OL, real WRs and real RBs. Daniels at least got to work with Palmer and Guyton for awhile. When Stick comes in, he gets the bottom of the barrel players. But he still moved the ball, made some good throws, and showed he can be dangerous running the ball. I've been saying that I'd prefer a long-term back up for Herbert who has NFL game experience, such as a Sam Darnold. But even though Stick has never played a down of real NFL football, I do think he'd be capable if Herbert had to come out of a game or miss a few starts. I'm making the assumption of course this is going to be Daniels last season. I hope. If Stick could land in a situation like Brees did with Sean Payton in New Orleans, he might be a legit NFL starter. I can see why Staley/Telesco want to keep him on the roster.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2022
      • Send PM

My hope with Stick has been he's the long-term backup to Herbert, kind of like Frank Reich was to Jim Kelly, or we get a good draft pick for him--like the Packers did with Matt Flynn years ago, or even how A.J. did by dealing Charlie Whitehurst to the Seahawks. Daniel offers nothing on the field at this point in his career, so Stick is one of the players I root for the most in the preseason. So far Stick is showing what I had hoped for.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1993 View Post
        Winners-
        Offense-
        Zion - showed a good anchor early on, active feet and hands, did get beat once but shit happens.
        Salyer- Showed a stout anchor, consistent through out the game, constantly got his hands inside the DLs chest and controlled the push, Looks like an excellent road grader.
        Bandy- Shifty, constantly got open, Showed quick cuts and good hands, hand a couple of almost catches, and unfortunately a pick that was on him.
        Spiller- showed the smoothness he showed in college, his willingness to pick up blockers, good hands, decisive, could improve his keeping his feet turning.
        Reed- Looked great on special teams, had the only real explosive game for us this game.be on the look out for him in the future.
        Havarth- Looked strong, quick and just overall thick. I think he easily beats out gabers.
        Kelly- Showed his new found explosiveness, light on his feet, unfortunately he didnt get many carries
        Stick- Showed he the back up, very live arm, kept us in the game, almost brought us back for ot

Defense-
        Rumph- Quick, Explosive, Great hand placement, showed his willingness to take on blockers, did have acouple of plays where he whiffed the sacks or tackles.
        Fehoko- Closes thing we've had to Jamal the Wall in a while, filled the gaps well, pushed through the gaps, and even showing up in the back field for a man his size.

Losers-
        Offense-
        Chase Daniels- Unfortunately his age has caught up to him and now his arm is just a limp noodle
        Pipkins /Norton- neither looked good tonight. Didnt see really any improvement
        Palmer- unfortunately tonight wasnt his night, didnt get much separation, dropped the passes that did come his way. just a bad night for him. mostly on daniels tho.
        Roundtree- didnt see anything that would say keep him
        Marks- see above
        the other runningback
        Clapp- i can see why he was a back up rotational olineman for the saints, my man had a night trying to keep his man from blowing by him.

Defense-
        Our entire Dbs- Everyone of them could not get their head around, multiple PI calls
        Leonard- im calling him out because he got beat for a td, then a 2 point conversion, and just got toasted all night
        Tillery- Constantly got blown up when he was in the game, always blown off the ball
        LBS- idk if i can say anything positive about them. just a tough night
        I dont agree. He got taken down easy by a CB on that short pass and was pulled backward to not get a first down. Nabers looked better as a blocker. Its going to be a close competition i think.

Brown and Marks didnt look good.

Its early and one game dont make or break a guy making the roster but if you didnt show well in this one and the others did, they have ground to make up.

I thought Reeder looked pretty decent made a nice play on 3rd and 1 to to stop the run. He wasnt a fancy signing but an under rated player.

I think Spiller will look much better with the first team OL. I like his patients running the ball and he has shifty feet.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
          Fluent in Sarcasm
          • Jun 2013
          • Iowa
          • Man of the People
          • Send PM

Zion and Pipkins together in the run game was pretty good, leaps and bounds ahead of our right side run blocking last year. The only pressure I remember Pipkins giving up was on Daniels’ 3rd down flail to Guyton, and Daniels had drifted just out of the tackle box and then stood there allowing the rusher to adjust his rush to a much shorter course. Overall I think Pipkins took a slight lead over Storm who continued to not generate much in the run game.

Limited looks but I liked what I saw from Horvath. One play as a lead blocker I saw him knock 3 separate defenders around. His catch on 3rd down was very poorly spotted and should have been a first but he made doubly sure on his 4th down carry. I didn’t see him standout on ST at all but his play on offense was very solid.

Bandy and Reed are battling for a (possible) 6th WR spot and no one else is really in that conversation. Both add ST returner value, Reed on kicks and Bandy on punts, so I think it will really come down to their work as WR. Bandy is explosive out of his cuts and really excels in that short area, he also showed some good moves after the catch. I wish we got to see Reed as a ball carrier a couple times as I do think that added versatility is an advantage for him. Still not convinced we carry 6 WR but it’s nice seeing options available.

Does Rountree even make the roster? I’m not convinced we carry 4 RB again (at least I really hope we don’t) and if it’s only 3 then there is no way Rountree makes the cut. He looked like the same plodding runner out there while Kelley was noticeably more explosive. He also is terrible as a pass catcher, something that Kelley and Spiller both shined at in the game. With Horvath likely making the roster and looking capable in short yardage situations I just don’t see any value for Rountree on the roster.

Coming into the game I was hoping either Tillery or Fox would show something as a pass rusher as there hasn’t been much word out of TC. Fox really showed up, Tillery looked like Tillery. This is what I expected when we signed Fox, but the silence out of camp was making me nervous. Worry no more!

JT Woods seemed just a step slow on a lot of plays. Definitely looked like just a processing thing. Would have liked to see how he played the ball vs the WR on the PI call against Sebastian when he got his INT but alas. Definitely showed good range, just needs the game to slow down half a second for him.

Rumph was the defensive standout by far. Yes he needs to finish some of those plays but he absolutely looks like he took a big step forward in his development. Him and Van Noy being able to provide quality snaps off the edge will allow us to keep Mack and Bosa fresh for the 4th quarter and really help close out games. Egbule looked ok as a pass rusher but horrible in the run game, Davis looked solid in the run game but didn’t flash much as a pass rusher coin toss battle for PS there.

Fehoko also had a pretty good game, especially compared to Covington. The Rams were consistently running away from him but he was doing a pretty good job in pursuit. Also generated some good push as a pass rusher. Fehoko definitely has a stranglehold on the 6th IDL spot IMO.

I don’t see any reason to keep a 4th TE this year. Kampmoyer can head to the PS again but none of the backups stood out at all.

Clapp was horrific. Hunter looked better than him at OC and Hunter also has OG flex. It seems Clapp has his spot secured but I would love to see it actually become a battle.

Stick over Daniels for QB2 seems like an actual possibility this year. Both had some errant throws but Daniels got 1/3 of his yards on the busted coverage TD to Reed, otherwise he was mediocre at best.

First live tackling in a long time, it needs to improve but I’m not gonna worry about it yet.

DBs in good position but not turning their heads around, I expect that to be a point of emphasis. Leonard is moving his way down to PS instead of final 53.

First time in….. a long time that I’m not worried about ST moving forward. Coverage units looked great (minus Leonard getting in early), no missed kicks, and the JK Scott hype is real.

The run D as a whole looked drastically improved and that was without the big acquisitions on the interior playing. Very optimistic about the D as a whole this year.

Overall good first game back. Saw development from numerous depth players, most of the rookies at least put stuff on tape to grow from, seemed like a better understanding of the schemes by the players compared to last year, and most importantly NO INJURIES! Plenty to clean up and still some battles for spots going on but this feels like a much more complete team than we have had for a long time.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Salyer. Rumph. Reeder. Vato. Kelley. Spiller. Bandy. Kelley. Reed.

Check the tape & learn. Leonard. Woods. Palmer. Clapp. Pipkins. OO. Jamal. Egbule.

Stick can at least move the chains for a while to give our defense some rest. He cannot throw the ball downfield. Daniels cannot throw the ball period.

What a contrast to Herbert's arm talent. We do not have a backup QB.

It will not take much longer to figure out our 53 + PS.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• FoutsFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Birmingham AL
              • Send PM

Watching Pipkins I thought he played well. Not great but he had some good blocks. Storm looked like, well Storm and he needed to look better.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                JT Woods seemed just a step slow on a lot of plays. Definitely looked like just a processing thing. Would have liked to see how he played the ball vs the WR on the PI call against Sebastian when he got his INT but alas. Definitely showed good range, just needs the game to slow down half a second for him.
                I thought Woods looked good on that INT that was nullified. It showed his range and knack for being where the ball is going. Even if the WR had not been held, I think Woods still would have been in position to make that play. So I'm a little high on him right now.

Comment

• Duck of Death
                  Social Piranha
                  • May 2022
                  • Flyover, USA
                  • Send PM

and the JK Scott hype is real.
                  I think it was mentioned in another thread - something to the effect that the long snaps were being delivered notably faster than before. I admittedly never paid attention to ANY long snapper before, but it did seem like Josh Harris’ snaps were fast & accurate. Perhaps that is the key that could unlock JK Scott’s potential? (no idea if the LS with the Pack was any good)

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                    Fluent in Sarcasm
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Iowa
                    • Man of the People
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    I thought Woods looked good on that INT that was nullified. It showed his range and knack for being where the ball is going. Even if the WR had not been held, I think Woods still would have been in position to make that play. So I'm a little high on him right now.
                    Don’t disagree, he was also in position to support on the long TD throw with Leonard in coverage but he hit Leonard instead of the WR. Was also close on some run support. He’s definitely trending up after the early reports from camp.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Don’t disagree, he was also in position to support on the long TD throw with Leonard in coverage but he hit Leonard instead of the WR. Was also close on some run support. He’s definitely trending up after the early reports from camp.
                      If that was the TD the Rams got, im thinking that was Davis that hit Leonard. Id have to see it again but i thought it was #43.

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post
                        Watching Pipkins I thought he played well. Not great but he had some good blocks. Storm looked like, well Storm and he needed to look better.
                        I agree. He gave up one pressure on the 3rd down where he gave up the edge at about 10 yards. That's not great, but way better than 8 yards which gets the QB destroyed. There was still room to maneuver and a mobile QB like Herbert would have the whole right side of the field to scramble after the edge runs past him.

His kick is noticably faster than last year. He still tends to open his hip and get his feet bogged down moving to the corner, but that can improve. Still a little tentative with his hands in space, but way better than last preseason.

He looked good as a run blocker. May need to chip for him against really fast guys. I want to see him adjust to inside pressure before declaring him ready, I didn't see him face any last night. He was slow passing off a twist as well.

Comment

Working...
                        X