• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltaction
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2013
    • Send PM

Coaches

I watched the local San Diego news this week, there was a segment on team coaches by a Navy seal. He said "there are no bad teams just bad coaches/leaders. He said they were having hell week, where all teams are going 24 hours a day no sleep for five days straight competing at many different things. What they noticed is one team almost always wins where another one will almost always lose. So they changed the team leader/coach, the winning teams leader for the losing teams leader. Immediately the losing team started doing much better at everything while the old winning team kept doing worse. Shortly the old losing team started coming in first most ccompetitions. He said the winning coach upon joining the losing team told them they were talented and capable at winning, they needed to stop bickering and follow orders exactly, work as a team and they will win. Which is what they did time and time again."

He also said all Navy seal applicants are intelligent and physically talented, the difference in winning and losing was the coach/leader.

It reminds me of Gladiator where when having to face the unknown in the arena Maximus says we have a better chance of winning if we work togther as a team than separate. They follow his orders to the letter and they defeat the chariots abd live. Coaches matter, and make the difference in winning and losing.

The NFL is full of the best players, all extremely talented, the difference in winning and losing is the coaches.
  • KNSD
    Registered Charger Hater
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltaction View Post
    It reminds me of Gladiator where when having to face the unknown in the arena Maximus says we have a better chance of winning if we work togther as a team than separate. They follow his orders to the letter and they defeat the chariots abd live.
    A few of them didn't follow his instructions and they got skewered pretty quickly.

Also, Maximus was able to adjust their strategy and tactics quickly during the fight, which I'm not sure this coaching staff is good at.

Bottom Line: Maximum or Navy Seal team leaders need to coach the Chargers.
    Prediction:
    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

fender57
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Absolutely true. Piss poor coaching won't get it done. It's why Norv failed. We're finding out the same thing holds for McCoy. I had hoped for more.

Comment

• Boltaction
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

I think Telesco and the coaches have lost this team. It stems from the owners. I think having the highest paid RB on the team not even dress out, Jacoby Jones is the worst punt returner in history and now doesn't even catch fair catches, just watches it bounce on by. Then have trade rumors over Weddle the QB of the defense, sit on the sidelines claiming injury. No team trades for an expensive injured player, Weddle must be better than we know. He is probably injured like Mean Fred Dean, once traded he signed a new contract with the 49ers and was a monster sacking the Rams QB about 5 times or more in the very next game. He wasn't hurt he was only hurting for more money than the Chargers would pay. We lost that team as more and more players left for more money elsewhere.

I think the same is happening to this Charger team. The owners, Telesco, and the coaches are losing this team.

Comment

fender57
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

I think Telesco and the coaches have lost this team. It stems from the owners. I think having the highest paid RB on the team not even dress out, Jacoby Jones is the worst punt returner in history and now doesn't even catch fair catches, just watches it bounce on by. Then have trade rumors over Weddle the QB of the defense, sit on the sidelines claiming injury. No team trades for an expensive injured player, Weddle must be better than we know. He is probably injured like Mean Fred Dean, once traded he signed a new contract with the 49ers and was a monster sacking the Rams QB about 5 times or more in the very next game. He wasn't hurt he was only hurting for more money than the Chargers would pay. We lost that team as more and more players left for more money elsewhere.

I think the same is happening to this Charger team. The owners, Telesco, and the coaches are losing this team.
          I don't recall Fred Dean claiming injury, he held out.

Comment

• Boltaction
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • Send PM

Fred Dean claimed injury, just as I said and set on the bench for several games until he was traded. He said later as a 49er the Chargers got what they paid for.

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Fred Dean claimed injury, just as I said and set on the bench for several games until he was traded. He said later as a 49er the Chargers got what they paid for.
              Just because you say it doesn't necessarily make it true.

Fred Dean was a holdout.

Comment

• Boltaction
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • Send PM

Well the hold out was an injury because dean suited up and got paid every game, it pissed off Gene Klien so badly that hefinally traded him to the 49ers. Dean got a new contract and it included a 10,000 bonus for every sack the next game against Pat Haden who was actually sacked six times the next game. I and most fans were not happy with Klien who sold Dean for money instead of draft choices. I remember it exactly. I ddon't care how the article wrote it. They are calling his sit down strike as a holdout, but he was on the teM getting paid every game claiming injury. Calling it a holdout which it was, is not quite reporting all of the circumstances involved.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

I don't think coaching has much to do with the OL play. While missing assignments is a problem, it is secondary to the inability to get people blocked. Most of the time, our guys identify the right players and then can't get it done. Slow feet, too slow, rushed technique. We are being beat physically, for the most part. We just are not good enough as unit, and it is dragging the team down.

On D, there is a lot of merit to the coaching. Our D has a lot of young players and their mental mistakes have killed the team. The OLB in particular are just screwing up all over the place. Ingram is playing like he doesn't want to come back and Emmanuel is just playing the game off his feet. If they can find another way to screw up and leave the defense more exposed I would love to know how. The lack of discipline and field smarts is just appalling. The only good thing you can say is that they do hustle well, but that just leads them to running themselves out of plays a lot. The sad thing, in the past, this is the sort of thing Pagano was pretty good at. His defenses lacked talent, but he always found a way to keep the team in the game. This season, exactly the opposite.

I don't know if the coaches have lost the team. They are still playing with plenty of effort. But the situational awareness, discipline and field smarts is lacking across the roster. But while they may not have lost the team, the coaches are the guys who have to take the players and get them to perform, and they are not doing it, despite the fact that they seem to have excellent physical skills (except at OL).

Comment

• SDFan
                    Woober Goober
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Dolores, CO
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

I was talking to my brother in Portland yesterday and he was claiming Chargers players are staying out late partying in the Gaslamp quarter before all home games. I told him, it used to be that way under NOrv when guys like Phillips were out late at clubs getting in trouble- but he says no- its still happening and he has friends that see it frequently. Then he says McCoy is soft and the players don't respect him.

Personally, I never heard or read a word about the guys still being out late before games like the bad old days. If true, and coupled with the comment about MM being soft- it would explain a lot.
                    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• TABF
                      Por debajo del promedio
                      • Jun 2013
                      • SoCal
                      • Send PM

I watched the local San Diego news this week, there was a segment on team coaches by a Navy seal. He said "there are no bad teams just bad coaches/leaders. ......
                      The NFL is full of the best players, all extremely talented, the difference in winning and losing is the coaches.
                      100% agree with this take... This is what I have been saying in the Stadium thread for a long while as well. LEADERSHIP, LEADERSHIP, and more LEADERSHIP. Spanos is a bad leader and it all goes down hill from there.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

The left handed compliment of the day. Courtesy of John Fox.

John Fox on Mike McCoy: 'I thought he was a bright, young coach'
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                        X