• Show
Clear All
  • SFW
    PB Official Game Thread Starter
    • Jul 2013
    • NY
    • USMC
    • Send PM

Personally I don't care what the politicians, billionaires or NFL says. I want a new stadium built no matter who pays for it because that will ensure the Chargers remain the San Diego Chargers. Adding future SB's or city income is just an added bonus but not the target for me. I would gladly pay more in taxes if it meant the Chargers staying.
    1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
    2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
    3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
    4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
    5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
    6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
    7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Den60
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by thelightningwill View Post
      Okay. I guess most everybody else on here thinks the patricians have the plebeians' interest at heart and that building stadiums with public money is a good idea. I disagree. This will be my last message on the topic because I came here to clown around and talk about my favorite team. If somebody starts a politics board on this site, I'll probably chime in.
      You're the one injecting politics into the issue of building a new football stadium here in San Diego. I can say that the odds of keeping the Chargers is largely dependent on getting a new stadium built. The current stadium is old, expensive to maintain, and is a terrible venue for football ( it was built as a multi-use stadium). If you don't think the city reaps a benefit from hosting an NFL team then I'd say you are naive. I compare it to funding a convention center. Many of the same people that benefit from a convention center benefit from tourism brought on by local sports teams and I don't see too much controversy in funding a second expansion of the convention center.

Comment

• Den60
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by SFWfromESPN View Post
        Personally I don't care what the politicians, billionaires or NFL says. I want a new stadium built no matter who pays for it because that will ensure the Chargers remain the San Diego Chargers. Adding future SB's or city income is just an added bonus but not the target for me. I would gladly pay more in taxes if it meant the Chargers staying.
        Most of the taxes they are talking about come from increases in taxes that effect tourists - room tax, rental car tax, airport tax etc. I believe the NFL would be putting up some significant money as well. I haven't understood why SDSU hasn't been involved in the negotiations since they have a dog in this fight as well. With modern technology it is pretty easy to change in stadium advertising so the Aztecs can negotiate their own contracts. The proposed stadium downtown with the retractable roof would also open up opportunities to host the Final Four as well as provide some expansion opportunities for the convention center. Considering our proximity to the border you would have to think a MLS soccer team would be an attractive option. I'd think bidding for the World Cup would be a worthwhile exercise as well.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
          Most of the taxes they are talking about come from increases in taxes that effect tourists - room tax, rental car tax, airport tax etc. I believe the NFL would be putting up some significant money as well. I haven't understood why SDSU hasn't been involved in the negotiations since they have a dog in this fight as well. With modern technology it is pretty easy to change in stadium advertising so the Aztecs can negotiate their own contracts. The proposed stadium downtown with the retractable roof would also open up opportunities to host the Final Four as well as provide some expansion opportunities for the convention center. Considering our proximity to the border you would have to think a MLS soccer team would be an attractive option. I'd think bidding for the World Cup would be a worthwhile exercise as well.
          All excellent points (did I really just say that to something Den60 posted that wasn't about beer?).

Comment

• SFW
            • Jul 2013
            • NY
            • USMC
            • Send PM

I understand a lot of the ins and outs of what is behind getting a stadium built and like I said, personally I don't care. Whatever it takes and whomever is needed to fund it is mostly irrelevant to me as I support it getting built regardless.

Comment

• Den60
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              All excellent points (did I really just say that to something Den60 posted that wasn't about beer?).
              As I told another poster, you can always wash your eyes out with soap.

Comment

• Den60
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

I understand a lot of the ins and outs of what is behind getting a stadium built and like I said, personally I don't care. Whatever it takes and whomever is needed to fund it is mostly irrelevant to me as I support it getting built regardless.
                It isn't going to get built without a public investment of some sort.

Comment

• SFW
                  • Jul 2013
                  • NY
                  • USMC
                  • Send PM

It isn't going to get built without a public investment of some sort.
                  Like I keep telling you but you seem to not understand what I am saying. I don't care what it takes, I am for it.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

Agreed. It needs to get done.
                    You're the one injecting politics into the issue of building a new football stadium here in San Diego. I can say that the odds of keeping the Chargers is largely dependent on getting a new stadium built. The current stadium is old, expensive to maintain, and is a terrible venue for football ( it was built as a multi-use stadium). If you don't think the city reaps a benefit from hosting an NFL team then I'd say you are naive. I compare it to funding a convention center. Many of the same people that benefit from a convention center benefit from tourism brought on by local sports teams and I don't see too much controversy in funding a second expansion of the convention center.
                    Pretty spot on.

Comment

• Den60
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Like I keep telling you but you seem to not understand what I am saying. I don't care what it takes, I am for it.
                      No I understand exactly what you're saying but your feelings ain't gonna get a stadium built. It is going to take a collaboration of public and private entities.

Comment

• SFW
                        • Jul 2013
                        • NY
                        • USMC
                        • Send PM

No I understand exactly what you're saying but your feelings ain't gonna get a stadium built. It is going to take a collaboration of public and private entities.
                        Nevermind, you don't get what I am saying at all or you just like being stubborn. Either way there is no point in my continuing to write the same thing over and over.

Comment

• Den60
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Nevermind, you don't get what I am saying at all or you just like being stubborn. Either way there is no point in my continuing to write the same thing over and over.
                          Again, I understand: You don't care how it gets done other than it gets done. Yeah, I get it. Really.

This thread is not only about the fact that we have an old stadium that needs to be replaced but also about what it is going to take to get that new place done.

Comment

Working...
                          X