• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den60
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
    And who exactly is building this stadium? So far the only proposal that has gotten any traction has been the AEG one. They aren't going to build it without getting a piece of a franchise. You don't sink 1 billion into a project without getting control of the product.
    Who is building a stadium here? When you start talking about building a stadium here just for the Chargers just divide it by two for the two teams that will be in LA.

We have a chance to keep the Chargers here but that window is closing. Once we lose an NFL team we aren't going to get one back anytime soon, if ever. LA has always considered San Diego to be its market (someone here mentioned the Lakers but you can add in the NHL as well) and they don't want to lose that.

Comment

• Beerman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Eastlake
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
      Who is building a stadium here? When you start talking about building a stadium here just for the Chargers just divide it by two for the two teams that will be in LA.

We have a chance to keep the Chargers here but that window is closing. Once we lose an NFL team we aren't going to get one back anytime soon, if ever. LA has always considered San Diego to be its market (someone here mentioned the Lakers but you can add in the NHL as well) and they don't want to lose that.
      Oh I'm not saying anyone is building one here, I'm just saying there's no one over there building one either. It's an empty threat.

If the NFL really wants two teams back in LA, they are going to have to expand again.

Comment

• Den60
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
        Oh I'm not saying anyone is building one here, I'm just saying there's no one over there building one either. It's an empty threat.

If the NFL really wants two teams back in LA, they are going to have to expand again.
        You should read more then.

I really find it a waste of time to argue with you since you cannot grasp the very simple concept that it is cheaper for teams to build a stadium that is shared (AS IS CURRENTLY DONE WITH THE TWO NY TEAMS) that it is to build a stadium for a single entity.

Neither SD or LA has been receptive to building a stadium. Here is a pretty important point to consider: We actually have a team here, LA doesn't. It is already difficult for us to approve funding for a team that is already here, just imagine how hard if would be to approve funding for a stadium where we don't know who would be playing it it.

Comment

• Beerman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Eastlake
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
          You should read more then.

I really find it a waste of time to argue with you since you cannot grasp the very simple concept that it is cheaper for teams to build a stadium that is shared (AS IS CURRENTLY DONE WITH THE TWO NY TEAMS) that it is to build a stadium for a single entity.

Neither SD or LA has been receptive to building a stadium. Here is a pretty important point to consider: We actually have a team here, LA doesn't. It is already difficult for us to approve funding for a team that is already here, just imagine how hard if would be to approve funding for a stadium where we don't know who would be playing it it.
          I grasp the concept just fine thank you very much. I just fail to see how you are getting two teams to LA without a stadium being built and no team is moving to LA without a stadium.

Feel free to enlighten me and post your sources for how you are accomplishing that barring the NFL forcing two teams to move there.
          Last edited by Beerman; 08-20-2013, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

Jets, Giants Finish Financing For New Stadium
            By Bloomberg News | August 17, 2007
            Print Send Comment
            Share Share

The Jets and Giants football teams completed a $1.3 billion financing agreement to build an 84,000-seat stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.

The Jets borrowed $650 million from Citigroup Inc. and the Royal Bank of Canada, while the Giants got the same amount from Goldman Sachs Group Inc. and Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc., Jets President Jay Cross said in an interview. The transaction shows the strength of the National Football League, which had revenue of $6 billion last year, even during a global financial crunch brought on by the subprime mortgage crisis, said Marc Ganis, president of SportsCorp Ltd., a Chicago-based sports industry consulting firm.

"Even in a time of extraordinarily tight credit, these teams are still able to raise huge sums of money," Ganis said.

The facility will be constructed near Giants Stadium, the teams' current home, and is scheduled to open in 2010. The teams agreed to split the cost after the Jets failed to secure approval for a stadium on Manhattan's West Side.

The Giants-Jets stadium will be the most expensive in American history, topping the $1 billion the Dallas Cowboys say they are spending on their new arena in Arlington, Texas, and it required the league to waive some of its financial rules.

League owners voted 30–2 in December to grant the teams a combined $300 million, twice the previous high, from a fund that provides money for construction.
            The financing was done in 2007. It didn't open till 2010. Where are those teams going to play for all those years? The Coliseum? The Rose Bowl? Good luck with that.

I stand by the NFL needing to expand for them to get 2 teams back there.
            Last edited by Beerman; 08-20-2013, 11:19 PM.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

I don't think there is any real, serious discussion of expansion. There are not enough good players to stock 32 teams, let alone another 2.

And I am not sure that the new teams are going to like being the league punching bag for years to come. That is a lot of money to sink into a franchise to watch them lose and dishearten fans. Cleveland still sucks since they have been resurrected (minus 1 decent season) and Texans are only just playing well the last couple of years. I don't think teams are going to agree to an expansion draft, because Jac and Car made everyone look silly by both getting to their championship games in their 2nd season, plus a lot of teams felt like they got robbed.

The other thing that probably has teams a little shy about it is that if a team does move to LA, they will have a lot of extra revenue sources to draw on. That is a big part of why Washington and Dallas are so powerful in FA, and why teams are scared of the NY teams. A lot of extra revenue may throw the FA thing out of wack, which makes it hard to deal with at a time when the FA is just starting to get under control with Dallas and Washington not overpaying for everyone else's trash. Add in a couple of rookie franchises who have tons of money and a big stream of cash, they can afford to outbid everyone and make FA incredibly expensive.
              Last edited by Steve; 08-21-2013, 06:28 AM.

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

I never said it was a high probability that the league would expand, just that it was the only way I see them reasonably being able to get two teams to LA.

I don't actually see any teams going back to LA at all.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

I agree with you Beer, I don't see anyone going straight for LA. I think a team could make the move, but I think the expansion thing might be as likely, which is to say not likely at all. But you hear people talk about a team moving to LA, and it sounds like people think you can just load up all the stuff and send it, and unless the long term stadium thing is settled first, then it is doubtful anything can happen.

Comment

fender57
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

What is going on with the LA Coliseum? Is that place still inhabitable?

Comment

• Wheels
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • San Diego
                      • Send PM

The league also loves the loaded gun that the LA market represents. These assholes have started complaining about stadiums just barely 14 years old now, looking for the next great publicly funded stadium.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

A little off topic, but the Redskins are looking for public help with a new stadium, and they have a ton of money coming in because they own their current stadium. Apprently, DC is hung up on 2 issues: 1). is the redskins name, and 2). Synder wants to keep all the revenue from a new stadium. I don't care about the 1st issue, but as far as the 2nd, I don't see how that works. The Cowboys bought their own stadium without public help, largely because they wanted the extra income from non-NFL activities at the stadium, which is quite a bit. If Synder gets public funding, I don't see how the city/state/district doesn't get a cut of the revenue.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

How old is FedEx? Man, it's not that old.

Comment

Working...
                          X