No Sir, I Dont Like It
    • Jun 2013
    • Section 457
    • Migrant Film Worker
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
    Ya gotta go with something non-controversial one here to get along:

This could use some bunnies.
    Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
    sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

WWJD? More like WHJD? What has John Spanos done!
      Go Rivers!

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

More like what hath John Spanos wrought?

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
          Ya gotta go with something non-controversial one here to get along:

unicorn.jpg

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

The ginger teddy!
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
              I get what your theory is and I certainly didn't mean he was somehow choosing players everyone thought was crappy. I know his history with the team. The team has scouted thousands of players since he got involved with scouting and I have yet to hear or see anything credible that he somehow influenced which players were selected by AJ and TT. He may have been a crappy, average or great scout and we'll never know. So you can continue your connect the dots speculation the same way people still talk about the grassy knoll or how the US government was involved in 9/11 - wild speculation doesn't warrant spending time rebutting.

Since you know nothing about me, it's kind of presumptuous to guess at how conservative I am or am not.
              Thank You for posting the Longhorn quote supporting your comment. It had every word right there in 1 post- why didn't you call HIM out on it if it bothered you so much? Honestly, I thought the criticism was so mild I passed right over it in terms of looking for hatred. Does 1 single opinion by a poster with 38 total posts in 2+ years out of 3 pages on this topic really rise to the level of "all this vitriol" and calling people haters? Is he just a bully? Should he join Den and soften every post with Unicorns so nobody is ever offended on our board?
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                Thank You for posting the Longhorn quote supporting your comment. It had every word right there in 1 post- why didn't you call HIM out on it if it bothered you so much? Honestly, I thought the criticism was so mild I passed right over it in terms of looking for hatred. Does 1 single opinion by a poster with 38 total posts in 2+ years out of 3 pages on this topic really rise to the level of "all this vitriol" and calling people haters? Is he just a bully? Should he join Den and soften every post with Unicorns so nobody is ever offended on our board?
                Apology accepted. And if you read my quote again, I never called anyone out.

Back to the point I was trying to make - my "objection" (which is way too strong of a way to put it) is that nobody on this board knows what kind of a job Spanos did as a scout. He became a full time scout in 2003 so if you are going to connect dots to draw a conclusion about how bad our recent drafts have been, shouldn't you also connect dots to how good the drafts were right after he became a full time scout in 2003? Is it a coincidence that our "glory" days happened right after he became a scout?

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  Apology accepted. And if you read my quote again, I never called anyone out.

Back to the point I was trying to make - my "objection" (which is way too strong of a way to put it) is that nobody on this board knows what kind of a job Spanos did as a scout. He became a full time scout in 2003 so if you are going to connect dots to draw a conclusion about how bad our recent drafts have been, shouldn't you also connect dots to how good the drafts were right after he became a full time scout in 2003? Is it a coincidence that our "glory" days happened right after he became a scout?
                  read the article KNSD linked earlier. It said John was our most traveled scout by far and he was just getting started in 2003 in AJs glory years and I doubt he had (or commanded or asked for) top consideration for his reports/recommendations over more experienced scouts and the departments run by Nix and Raye. Nix bailed and John was getting promoted up the management chain in Scouting dept until taking over College scouting. It only makes sense his influence rose along with his experience and job titles. You better believe his preferences carried a lot more clout by 2007/8 when they were talking about him succeeding AJ. Nix saw the writing on the wall and bailed, followed by Ray when John was his boss and hired TT instead. Check the successes below of scouting department from 2001-08 vs after 2008 when John became college scouting director. Pretty telling. How many Pro Bowlers have we had last couple years?

In 2003, Spanos began working full-time as a scout. He methodically worked his way up through the organization before his career took a giant leap forward in 2013 when he was named executive vice president of football operations. This new position afforded him the opportunity to put his first big imprint on the organization, and he did just that as he was a key member of the selection committee responsible for the hiring of General Manager Tom Telesco and Head Coach Mike McCoy. The Chargers finished 9-7 in both 2013 and 2014. In 2013, the team returned to the playoffs for the first time since 2009 and won its first playoff game since 2008.

Drawing from his scouting experience, Spanos has seen his role in the NFL Draft grow exponentially since his ascension in 2013His previous assignments within the organization include stints as a pro and college scout (2003-05), assistant director of college scouting (2006-07) and director of college scouting (2008-12).

San Diego Chargers[edit]

He joined John Butler and A. J. Smith with the San Diego Chargers from 2001 to 2008Nix's job with the San Diego Chargers was to oversee both professional and college scouting and to be one of the main decision makers in each NFL Draft. Nix was a major reason the Chargers turned around from a losing football team to a rebuilt, winning team. In 2004, three players Nix drafted were selected to the 2005 Pro Bowl. In 2005, six players Nix drafted were selected to the 2006 Pro Bowl. In 2006, eleven players Nix drafted were selected to the 2007 Pro Bowl. In 2007, eight players Nix drafted were selected to the 2008 Pro Bowl.

The Chargers won four out of the last five AFC West titles with Nix as Assistant GM and Director of Player Personnel, in charge of college scouting and instrumental to the decision making process of their NFL drafts.

Jimmy Raye

Raye joined the Chargers in 1996 and spent four seasons (1996-1999) as a scout.
                  Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I miss Buddy Nix.
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                    X