I think the formula is there in my humble opinion...

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Scheme focus comes from the OC and HC. If I set them up with Gordon in the last draft I would feel they let me and Gordon down this year and I would send a message as GM.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

fender57
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

But as a GM, shouldn't I be feeding the coaches the right players that fit their scheme? Why such a disconnect? Why trade up to get Gordon if the coaches seem to misuse him? Did Telesco whiff that badly, or are the coaches to blame, or is Gordon really a bust here?

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Or was TT forced to take Gordon as a sexy splash pick to sell tickets?

TT and MM don't come across as idiots to me. I can't see them not being on the same page on this.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Larry English never played OLBr before we drafted him much like Gordon has not run shotgun delays, he played in a traditional cold weather running game. Very few RBs are Danny Woodhead or Darren Sproles right out of college. Also recall the lip service to more snaps from center to help him adjust. Maybe they made the same promise to TT.
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

It's like this Billionaire's Toy had no plan at all...
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
              Or was TT forced to take Gordon as a sexy splash pick to sell tickets?

TT and MM don't come across as idiots to me. I can't see them not being on the same page on this.
              If they projected Gordon would be able to transition into this scheme how they are using him, then shame on them. I Do think they were on the same gummy bear when they made the pick.
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                But as a GM, shouldn't I be feeding the coaches the right players that fit their scheme? Why such a disconnect? Why trade up to get Gordon if the coaches seem to misuse him? Did Telesco whiff that badly, or are the coaches to blame, or is Gordon really a bust here?
                you're seriously using the word bust on a RB that was consensus #1 or #2 in country by all the experts on this draft? After 1/2 a year and with all the questions and knocks on our OC going back to last year? It's clear the coaching staff doesn't perfect any bread and butter running plays before the season, so why expect our running game to work? We had a similar shitty OL when LT broke in, and they just let him do his thing and it worked out fine. Too bad our coaching staff is too lame to follow suit. Hopefully with dwindling pass catchers available, they see the light and use the extra week for the bye to dump Reich and turn attention back to practicing the run game. Free the Gorgon!
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                  you're seriously using the word bust on a RB that was consensus #1 or #2 in country by all the experts on this draft? After 1/2 a year and with all the questions and knocks on our OC going back to last year? It's clear the coaching staff doesn't perfect any bread and butter running plays before the season, so why expect our running game to work? We had a similar shitty OL when LT broke in, and they just let him do his thing and it worked out fine. Too bad our coaching staff is too lame to follow suit. Hopefully with dwindling pass catchers available, they see the light and use the extra week for the bye to dump Reich and turn attention back to practicing the run game. Free the Gorgon!
                  I'm just asking the questions, kinda like multi choice. No, FWIW, I don't think he's a bust. He is being misused and trading up to get him was probably a mistake for THIS ORGANIZATION to draft him when the coaching staff is clearly not set up to utilize him properly.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                    Grammar Police
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Totally agree on that the only question is who thought what they have done with him was a good idea.
                    Go Rivers!

Comment

• SDFan
                      Woober Goober
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Dolores, CO
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                      I'm just asking the questions, kinda like multi choice. No, FWIW, I don't think he's a bust. He is being misused and trading up to get him was probably a mistake for THIS ORGANIZATION to draft him when the coaching staff is clearly not set up to utilize him properly.
                      ok, got it. I remember Steve in offseason maintaining Oliver would be the starter and they would work Gordon in slowly as he got up to speed and they developed confidence in him. Instead, they basically make him the primary back from the get-go but don't have any plays they can execute perfectly with him for the confidence building and bench him for a couple fumbles. IIRC, LT had 8 his rookie season and didn't get benched. Ball security was a work in progress but he figured it out and had tons of touches in the meantime. I'm thinking Steve had it figured right, but our coaching staff is clueless.

Like I said elsewhere, you've got the #1 or 2 RB from the entire draft and an OL that is injured and sucks just like LT had. Replace Reich over the bye and change the focus of the offense to all Melvin all the time until defenses respect our run game, then blend in the Rivers led passing attack more. Otherwise we ruin this kid and he indeed was a wasted pick. Then they'll not give him a 2nd contract and somebody else like Bellicheat will revive his career and ride him to Super Bowl wins like Blount and others in NE over the years.
                      Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Den60
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Just a reminder, I wasn't a fan of spending a first round pick on a RB (much less trading up to do so). Like I said at the time, you do that only when you think you are close to doing something in the playoffs. I believe I caught hell for that from the usual suspects on here.

Right now, this team isn't close to contending for a title and won't be while Rivers still remains a viable QB. I said 5 years when TT was hired (again taking hell from, well, you know, and I don't think we are any closer now than when I made that comment. Hell, we may actually be farther away now.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

TT's been here 5 years?

Comment

Working...
                          X