New practice squad rules as I understand them…

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

New practice squad rules as I understand them…

16 total players

10 have to be rookies

6 can be anything, including vested veterans, players under 4 accrued seasons, and rookies alike…vested veterans make (30%?) more on the PS than non veterans…

4 can be protected every Monday, I believe they have to be designated weekly, last year we protected brandon faycson for a couple weeks and then promptly lost him to the raiders after opting to protect someone else based on injuries on the roster at that time…

every player on the practice squad is eligible to be called up TWICE a year to the active roster without being exposed to waivers on Monday…a third call up would require the player to go thru waivers before being added back to the practice squad…

players called up to the active roster for gameday receive a (60% ?) bump on salary for that week and the next two weeks as well, so a rookie making 10k a week on the PS makes 30k for that Sunday and then two weeks after that even after reverting back to the PS

I’m sure this isn’t all of it so please feel free to add or correct information…these are the so called Covid rules which apparently the NFL and the players union love so I think they’ve been renewed until 2023 league meetings…

NOTE: the NFL 53 man rosters add up to about 1,700 players, the practice squads alone add up to an additional 512…the NFL has a labor pool of about 30% the total number of “roster” players that make well below player minimum of 700k? These guys make 170k a year and outside of games they practice with the team so they do assume some risks in regards to injury…

It wasn’t possible before under the old rules were a guy had 3-4 years to make a roster before becoming ineligible for the practice squad…it’s concievable that somebody could spend 10-15 years on practice squads and never accrue a season towards retirement benefits, here’s looking at that WR, moore is it?
    :lmao:
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I found this... might be a bit clearer:

Who is eligible for the practice squad?

The rules were changed in 2020, with the notable being that teams could now have up to six players with more than two accrued seasons of free agency credit. Teams don't have to have six such players, and the rest of their practice squad includes the following with no limits on either group (outside of the 16-player max):
    • Have no prior Accrued Seasons in the NFL (An accrued season is six or more games on the active roster);
    • Have one prior Accrued Season in which the player was on the 46-man active roster for no more than 8 games
    • Essentially, of the 16 spots, 10 have to be rookies or second-year players, while the other six spots have no such limitations.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Hope they add bandy, bradford, brown (DT), gaziano, sarrell, hunter, hall, kemp, davis, marks, layne, webb, deluca, kampmoyer, kromohoek, and covington?
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• cmplxgal
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • New Jersey
        • Send PM

I believe the weekly protection starts on Tuesday:

The NFL also added a new wrinkle to the practice squad that provides teams with some limited protections for keeping practice squad players. Teams can designate four players every week that are protected from being signed by other teams. This protection starts on Tuesday each week, so every practice squad player is still available to be signed to the regular roster of another team after their team’s game that week until the deadline on Tuesday.
        That makes sense, as otherwise a team could protect four players continuously and effectively have a 57-man roster.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
          Hope they add bandy, bradford, brown (DT), gaziano, sarrell, hunter, hall, kemp, davis, marks, layne, webb, deluca, kampmoyer, kromohoek, and covington?
          No Covington there, I think.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Thanks, Fouts2. This is good info.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

No Covington there, I think.
              The guys on GAC said gaziano feels like he earned a spot and is not coming back to the team, he’s going to try his luck elsewhere…I agree with him feeling like the whole tillery thing was a fucking joke but I feel it’s still a mistake for him to close the door on the chargers, he might’ve ended up playing a lot like last year because of injuries he was on the roster for half the season…

I wonder if covington will get signed right away, he was released outright so he wouldn’t have to clear waivers…

UPDATE: Covington first to sign on to practice squad! wow, I thought covington might come back but I’d heard from multiple sources speculating that he was going to test the waters elsewhere…I guess he likes being in LA…
              Last edited by Fouts2herbert; 08-31-2022, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• 21&500
                Bolt Spit-Baller
                • Sep 2018
                • A Whale's Vajayjay
                • CMB refugee
                • Send PM

Are we listing the PS signings here?
                P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                  Are we listing the PS signings here?
                  Keep them in the Roster Build thread please.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

I think the guys on GAC got some bad info, they said someone in the building told them gaziano was as good as gone, LOL…sounds like “someone in the building” is full of shit:LOL:

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                      Fluent in Sarcasm
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Iowa
                      • Man of the People
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
                      I think the guys on GAC got some bad info, they said someone in the building told them gaziano was as good as gone, LOL…sounds like “someone in the building” is full of shit:LOL:
                      When he wasn’t claimed on waivers he might have realized how much he’s valued around the league and decided his best chances to make a roster are here. I like Gaziano a lot and think he deserves a spot on the 53, hopefully next year he can take one of those pass rushing DT spots.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

When he wasn’t claimed on waivers he might have realized how much he’s valued around the league and decided his best chances to make a roster are here. I like Gaziano a lot and think he deserves a spot on the 53, hopefully next year he can take one of those pass rushing DT spots.
                        or they made him a deal he couldn’t refuse…LOL

you’re right tho, this team is primed for a good run in the next 3-4 years at least so they might’ve told him to give them another year what with tillery for sure hitting FA in 2023, there might be a roster spot open on DL…

Comment

Working...
                        X