• Show
Clear All
  • Duck of Death
    Social Piranha
    • May 2022
    • Flyover, USA
    • Send PM

Hopkins

I mentioned this in the Raider game thread, but I’ll repeat - Hopkins pulled almost all of his attempted FGs & PATs. He missed one FG & damn near missed another. What’s going on? Is it possible that his holds are not up to snuff? I mention this because a fairly knowledgeable Packers buddy claimed that JK Scott was not a consistent holder & that he would cause misses. I don’t know the first thing about kicking, so no idea how to confirm or refute this. Just thought it was worth mentioning. And I do think it was interesting that every single one of Hopkins’ kicks was pulled to the left. Although we know he isn’t particularly long, he is accurate - came in last year and finally stabilized that position after years of ineptitude, hitting on 18 of 20 FG attempts. So it’s a little strange that he seemed so off yesterday. Does anyone here know anything about the “science of kicking”, and whether or not holders should get more scrutiny?
  • CivilBolt
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post
    I mentioned this in the Raider game thread, but I’ll repeat - Hopkins pulled almost all of his attempted FGs & PATs. He missed one FG & damn near missed another. What’s going on? Is it possible that his holds are not up to snuff? I mention this because a fairly knowledgeable Packers buddy claimed that JK Scott was not a consistent holder & that he would cause misses. I don’t know the first thing about kicking, so no idea how to confirm or refute this. Just thought it was worth mentioning. And I do think it was interesting that every single one of Hopkins’ kicks was pulled to the left. Although we know he isn’t particularly long, he is accurate - came in last year and finally stabilized that position after years of ineptitude, hitting on 18 of 20 FG attempts. So it’s a little strange that he seemed so off yesterday. Does anyone here know anything about the “science of kicking”, and whether or not holders should get more scrutiny?
    All I know is that Lynn used that excuse when he was here. Changed the holder and result was the same :lol: maybe they just need to spend more time together to gel.

Comment

• Heatmiser
      BetterToday ThanYesterday
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Saw same thing, Duck. Every kick was strong but pulled to the left. One PAT had me nervous it was so close. Not sure what is going on with Hopkins and don’t know enough about holders to say it is the punter’s fault. Hopefully Hopkins and Gould can figure it out.

JK Scott was phenomenal, but there was one punt that brought back memories of failed protections of years past. Raiders got awful close to him. Hope Ficken fickens that up. KC has great special teams. Although Bukner missing a game would be very nice.

TG
      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Hopkins was pretty inconsistent in Washington and cut in the middle of the season after missing 2 extra points in one game and a 42 yard fg that cost them a game in another. It has nothing to do with his holder.

Comment

• QSmokey
          Guardedly Optimistic
          • Jun 2013
          • Kuna, Idaho
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Hopkins...sucks. IMO. I have zero confidence in him with the game on the line. We haven't had a reliable PK since John Carney. Just a string of guys - some heartbreakers (see: Kaeding) - nothing that would make me believe we could ever count on any of them. Hopkins included. Big hole in this team.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

Speaking of inconsistent Chargers kickers, we may see Tristan Vizcaino kicking for the Chiefs Thursday. Harrison Butker suffered an ankle injury in the desert.

Comment

• Air Coryell
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2021
              • Carlsbad, CA
              • Teacher, Coach, CFO
              • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
              Hopkins...sucks. IMO. I have zero confidence in him with the game on the line. We haven't had a reliable PK since John Carney. Just a string of guys - some heartbreakers (see: Kaeding) - nothing that would make me believe we could ever count on any of them. Hopkins included. Big hole in this team.
              This.

Comment

• Duck of Death
                Social Piranha
                • May 2022
                • Flyover, USA
                • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post
                In point of fact, they have had 2 pro bowlers (Lambo & Koo) - they just didn't know it at the time

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                Hopkins was pretty inconsistent in Washington and cut in the middle of the season after missing 2 extra points in one game and a 42 yard fg that cost them a game in another. It has nothing to do with his holder.
                I do recall thinking that it was a pretty quick trigger to fire him, since those were the only two he missed all year. But I guess Washington was lucky to have a good replacement waiting in the wings.

Hop's career numbers show that he'll definitely clank a couple every year, but his overall accuracy has been solid at 84% & 94% (FG & XP). One thing I didn't realize - he is consistently among the best in the league in touchback %. When I say "best" I'm assuming that a high touchback number is a good thing, but again, I'm not a kicking expert by any stretch.

Comment

• Duck of Death
                  Social Piranha
                  • May 2022
                  • Flyover, USA
                  • Send PM

And how is it that the rest of the AFC West always seems to have great kickers??

Comment

• Blastttoff
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2020
                    • Send PM

The one that got away, still cant believe we gave up too early on Younghoe...

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                      Speaking of inconsistent Chargers kickers, we may see Tristan Vizcaino kicking for the Chiefs Thursday. Harrison Butker suffered an ankle injury in the desert.
                      Vizcaino was horrible. Just plain awful. Hopkins is better, but his inability from deep range hinders points from being on the scoreboard.

Comment

• Parcells
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Blastttoff View Post
                        The one that got away, still cant believe we gave up too early on Younghoe...
                        Yeah, that hurts.

Comment

Working...
                        X