Chargers @ Texans Pregame Thread (Week 4)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I actually thought our defense was great in the first half. Jax kept getting the ball in great field position but our D kept them out of the end zone. They seemed to give up in the third quarter after the 4th and one that went for 50 yards. Maybe they were simply worn out because they were on the field for most of the game.
    Until our O starts scoring points, the D will continue to get beat down line that.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
      French Speaking Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Québec city
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I agree with you on the points that you raise.

I actually enjoy being able to discuss what I perceive as issues/problems with the team even though many of the issues with the team are frustrating to me, especially the ones that I believe are avoidable. Just as you have said, that comes from a deep commitment to the team, in my case as a fan for some 48 years.

To me, it is also very enjoyable to read what others have to say about the team, whether or not I agree with them. I often learn about team developments through reading what others have said and I occasionally learn things about Chargers football and football in general, which I also find enjoyable.

But at the end of the day, it is just football and it seems strange to me that long term Chargers fans can be easily "life-distressed" about what is happening with the team when there have been so many frustrating developments in many of the seasons. We have been through the Holy Roller, a pure luck tipped pass TD for the Raiders in the 1980 AFCCG, -59 degree wind chill weather in the 1981 AFCCG, Nate Kaeding's playoff woes, Marlon McCree's fumble, too many injuries to count in the 2007 AFCCG, Cromartie making a business decision to join the Jets during the 2009 AFC playoffs while playing against the Jets, the wasting of Rivers' career, and 35-32 in the season finale just last season just to name some of the adverse events along the way.

If we can go through those times and remain more committed than ever, then I do not see a little well deserved saltiness toward Lombardi's admittedly poor play calling to be anything even remotely close to being of a life-distressing nature.

On the other hand, on a personal level, and to bring things into a little bit of a better perspective, last week, a friend decided that her life was no longer worth living and she killed herself. That was the first time that anyone that I considered to be a valued friend had done anything like that in my 54 years. For me, that tragic occurrence was of a "life-distressing" nature as I was shocked/stunned and very much saddened to learn the bad news. I think the difference between posting on a forum even out of some frustration and that kind of real life tragedy (or other life-distressing events of a different nature) is pretty easy to see. At least I hope it is.
      Post of the week ?

Comment

• Boltdiehard
        The Precious
        • May 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Until our O starts scoring points, the D will continue to get beat down line that.
        The lack of a running game with a injured Herbert will continue to gas this defense. Have to get the ground game going and I really wish they’d give Kelley some meaningful carries.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
          French Speaking Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Québec city
          • Send PM

Worst rush offense against worst rush defense.
          Keenan can sleep another week.

Comment

• Velo
            Ride!
            • Aug 2019
            • Everywhere
            • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
            • Send PM

If they are going to go with just 4 WRs, maybe they will activate Spiller for the Houston game. I hope so, it's time to give this kid his chance. And he can be a receiver, he averaged about 25 receptions per year at A&M.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I agree with you on the points that you raise.

I actually enjoy being able to discuss what I perceive as issues/problems with the team even though many of the issues with the team are frustrating to me, especially the ones that I believe are avoidable. Just as you have said, that comes from a deep commitment to the team, in my case as a fan for some 48 years.

To me, it is also very enjoyable to read what others have to say about the team, whether or not I agree with them. I often learn about team developments through reading what others have said and I occasionally learn things about Chargers football and football in general, which I also find enjoyable.

But at the end of the day, it is just football and it seems strange to me that long term Chargers fans can be easily "life-distressed" about what is happening with the team when there have been so many frustrating developments in many of the seasons. We have been through the Holy Roller, a pure luck tipped pass TD for the Raiders in the 1980 AFCCG, -59 degree wind chill weather in the 1981 AFCCG, Nate Kaeding's playoff woes, Marlon McCree's fumble, too many injuries to count in the 2007 AFCCG, Cromartie making a business decision to join the Jets during the 2009 AFC playoffs while playing against the Jets, the wasting of Rivers' career, and 35-32 in the season finale just last season just to name some of the adverse events along the way.

If we can go through those times and remain more committed than ever, then I do not see a little well deserved saltiness toward Lombardi's admittedly poor play calling to be anything even remotely close to being of a life-distressing nature.

On the other hand, on a personal level, and to bring things into a little bit of a better perspective, last week, a friend decided that her life was no longer worth living and she killed herself. That was the first time that anyone that I considered to be a valued friend had done anything like that in my 54 years. For me, that tragic occurrence was of a "life-distressing" nature as I was shocked/stunned and very much saddened to learn the bad news. I think the difference between posting on a forum even out of some frustration and that kind of real life tragedy (or other life-distressing events of a different nature) is pretty easy to see. At least I hope it is.
              I'm sorry man.
              RIP.
              Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

They figured it out before they selected him in the draft.
                If that was the case, they should’ve selected him a round or two earlier. They selected Brenden Jamies pick #159 5th rd. 2021 a completely developmental OG who rarely saw the field as a rookie or now in his 2nd season. Jamaree Salyer wasn’t selected until the 6th rd. #195 overall. Polished Collegiate LT/LG who should have replaced Feiler sometime in the 2nd half of the first game this season.

Point is they (Telesco) don’t seem to have a clue how to value prospects past the elite blue collar legitimate 1st rd talents. It’s freaking sad really and I have no explanation for their methodology other than they like more picks to average out their misses. Staley is too embedded in his expresso, to alter his ego (afraid to piss of veterans maybe) and evaluate performance on equal playing field. Good God man it’s Football not rocket science.

And yes, I will be at the game Sunday, my purpose to win the day!

Comment

• SK21209
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2020
                  • San Diego
                  • Send PM

In 2010 Rivers pulled out a win @Houston with a depleted offense. 2 TDs each for Randy McMichael and Seyi Ajirotutu (boy are those some blasts from the past). Hopefully history repeats itself on Sunday.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

I actually thought our defense was great in the first half. Jax kept getting the ball in great field position but our D kept them out of the end zone. They seemed to give up in the third quarter after the 4th and one that went for 50 yards. Maybe they were simply worn out because they were on the field for most of the game.
                    Agree, too many 3 and outs killed our D, along with not scoring any points. Our D was gassed when they gave up the long run. In fact the last 2 games they have played great and most of the rushing yards came on 2 plays.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

I've been a Chargers fan ever since they moved to SD in 1961. I've spent a ton of money on them over the years. Overall, I've had a lot of enjoyment from my favorite team. I view it as entertainment in a sport that I enjoy. Even in the worst years, they've always had a few great players that are fun to watch.

I used to lose sleep over them but somewhere along the way, I got to where I accepted that they aren't always playing as well as I expected and it ceased to bother me that much. Win or lose, they always have players that are fun to watch. I enjoy them the most when they have a big time offense. Sadly, it looks like the offense has lost its punch this year. I'll have to enjoy Herbert and the defense for now.

I expect some low scoring games until we get the injured guys back. I think this week's game will be one of those low scoring games.
                      I don’t go back that far, but I’m very similar - I used to spend a lot $$ on Chargers as it was my favorite “hobby” and a great party. I still remember late 70s/early 80s when the old Q literally shook. get intensely invested, high highs and low lows. And without a conscious decision, i just evolved to a “mellowed” state and just calmly resigned to accept what happens without internalizing it as something that happens directly to me - while still retaining the unique attachment and enjoyment. I don’t get angry anymore. The more intense fans here probably see it as “accepting mediocrity”. I guess that is not untrue. There’s been plenty of mediocre Charger squads and I do accept them. I’ll stick with them, high and low good and bad, and I’ll always be optimistic (well … always try )

great posts by 21/500 and chain - i don’t mean to say there’s a right and wrong and I’m right. Im not - its just something that works for me

Fuck the Texans - I’ve hated them since the playoff game in 79 (which wasnt even the same team but so what!). I expect the Bolts to rally and get better as they roll forward …
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post
                        In 2010 Rivers pulled out a win @Houston with a depleted offense. 2 TDs each for Randy McMichael and Seyi Ajirotutu (boy are those some blasts from the past). Hopefully history repeats itself on Sunday.
                        HOU beat the Chargers in ‘79 without Pastorini and Campbell, we will return the favor. (I don’t care its a different team - fuck anything Houston forever!)
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltsfan70
                          East Coast Chargers Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • PA transplant living in S. Carolina
                          • Send PM

On the plus side we won the epic in miami. We beat stealers on two plays to Alfred Papunu and am sure there are many more positives to list. Sometimes it feels all negitive but we got to keep pushing the good stuff too.

Comment

Working...
                          X