Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Great (week4 vs HOU)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Great (week4 vs HOU)

OOOOHHHH YEAH
    We back diehards and no tears this time. A 10point victory on the road in NFL is no easy task. If you pay attention last week I pointed out the middle of the field was open to crossing routes, and Lombardi saw it too with Herb hitting MDub on some quality crossing patterns. We got to see rookies performing at pro bowl level and pro bowlers doin their thing. The blocking schemes when they work are a sight to behold and very complex indeed. If Chargers continue to smooth over the rough edges this team has turned the corner and gaining momentum down the straight. Dont dive in this week, Cannonball in!

The Good:
    2nd quarter 13:05 on the clock, 2nd and 5 ball on 10yard line
    Chargers in bunch formation, Austin Ekeler shows the magic and gets his 1st rushing TD on the year. Peep the blocking scheme Lombardi dialed up here: Palmer in motion pre snap takes HOU DB out of the play, Everett just gets in the DE way not a real block, Pipkins immediately climbs to the second level and engages the LB, Zion + Linsely double the NT and then Linsley climbs to the LB. Carter shoots in to seal the LB's and Ek is too fast too strong to be stopped. I cant get enough of this.....SUBCRIBE

The Bad:
    1st quarter 8:03 on the clock, 1st and 10 ball on 27yrd line
    Herb stares down his reciever and then throws it right to the LB, who luckily enough cant catch. If HOU picks this off only Ekeler stands between the defender and pick 6. I dont like the route concept of 3 receivers on the same side, nothing in middle or right side. All 3 routes are so far wide that even the hash marks are open. Palmer and Ekeler both have flat routes initially which crowds the area.
    With Chargers only leading by 7 this could have been a disaster. Dont ever say Chargers only have bad luck haha

The Great:
    so there are a couple plays here that I want to focus on. It would not be fair to only show the end result without showing the lead up and how quickly Chargers can put it together.
    Play1:
    2nd quarter 10:48 on the clock, 2nd and 7 ball on 30yrd line.
    Chargers in tight 2x TE formation showing run.The big play, another crossing route to MDub who picks up some huge YAC. The sublte movement of Everett takes the attention of 3 HOU defenders and this allows MDub free real estate. Witness the LB confusion upon seeing the play unfold.

Play2:
    This play immediately follows the previous Mdub crosser. Chargers in bunch formation, Palmer motion to take DB away, Both Lindsely and Zion turn the DT's away,Pipkins seals the edge, Everett and Carter climb to second level and engage the LBers while Ekeler does an impressive job of staying hidden until the last moment giving HOU DB zero chance to react.

Both these plays are well designed, well executed and the results are mind blowing. 2 plays = 70 yards and TD.

Honorable Mentions:

previous TPB whipping boys Adderly and Tillery get some spotlight today

Hon1:
    1st quarter 13:05 on clock, 3rd and 5 ball on 30yrd line.
    Great pressure from Mack, Derwin going stride for stride with receiver and Adderly being ball hawk

Hon2:
    4q 9:24 on the clock, 2nd and 7 ball on 12yard line
    After the terrible fumble on kickoff HOU gets the gift inside Chargers red zone.
    Jerry Tillery comes through in a big way. Technique and strength gets him into the backfield in which he arrives at the QB with violence. Such a huge play that stalled HOU drive to a FG. Watching the big guys flail around trying to get a squrting football will always make me giggle.

yeah baby good feeling and great football. The game wasnt perfect (which games are?) but Chargers did enough to get the W. Really happy to see Adderly and Tillery both flash. Really happy to see complex blocking schemes work so well coz we have all seen when they dont. Chin up fellow diehards the sky is not falling, the sky is BLUE

as always
    luv ya
    -Chillies
  • jubei
    Vagabond Ninja
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Maybe I need to go fishing more often when they play so they can pull out the W. Nice work NMC. The run blocking on the Ek TD run was NICE! When blocking works in unison the run game becomes a work of art of different cogs working lock n step.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

The "Great 2" running play where they ran the draw behind Zion is the type of play I've been mentally wanting to see more of the last few weeks. Zion is a road grader & if you can keep the linebackers back (which the initial pass action does) and get him 1 on 1 they can make a living off that play. Don't know if you remember back when the Cowboys had Andre Gurode at Center and Leonard Davis at right guard their entire running game was based off the lead draw behind Davis they'd probably run it 10 to 15 times a game and kill people with it with Marion Barber

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Ekeler's back.
        That is what I need.
        How long before all of us are Jerry's Kids ?
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• FoutsFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Birmingham AL
          • Send PM

Watching Pipkins, he has made gigantic strides. On the first good play he gets tot he second level and seals mike and chips another player. He made that go for a TD as opposed to a 5-6 yard run. So far he has been very solid this year, I am happy to see.

Comment

• Air Coryell
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2021
            • Carlsbad, CA
            • Teacher, Coach, CFO
            • Send PM

Please show us the BAD 75 yard TD run.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
              Outback Goon
              • Sep 2018
              • Australia
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
              Please show us the BAD 75 yard TD run.
              I love requests!

want me to analyze it too? I love it when we all give input

Comment

• Air Coryell
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2021
                • Carlsbad, CA
                • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

I love requests!

want me to analyze it too? I love it when we all give input
                Thanks. would love to hear your analysis

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                  Outback Goon
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Australia
                  • Send PM

What I see:

Initially Rumph dive inside and gets crack blocked out of the play forcing ASJ to now seal the edge. Tranquill reads the FB but gets caught by the TE who does an excellent job of using Tranq movement agaisnt him. Murray shoots the A gap and has an angle on the ball carrier but the LG pulls off the double team on SJD and picks him up. Derwin hesitates in the hole and gets eaten by the FB (with maybe a little hold). Covington cant shed his block to get outside fast enough. Adderley cannot see the RB until its almost too late and he gets caught in a classic Rugby "stand up" move i see each week here in AUS (ball carrier swerves into the last defender and then uses momentum to carry him outside and the defender cant go from flat footed to top speed fast enough to catch him). In the foot race JC is closing in and could have made a tackle but was bumped ever so slightly making any effort at tackling futile as the runner would have carried momentum over the line anyhow.

SO yeah some perfect blocks by LG and FB and bad vision from Adderly. Chargers just got caught.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2021
                    • Carlsbad, CA
                    • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                    • Send PM

What I see:

Initially Rumph dive inside and gets crack blocked out of the play forcing ASJ to now seal the edge. Tranquill reads the FB but gets caught by the TE who does an excellent job of using Tranq movement agaisnt him. Murray shoots the A gap and has an angle on the ball carrier but the LG pulls off the double team on SJD and picks him up. Derwin hesitates in the hole and gets eaten by the FB (with maybe a little hold). Covington cant shed his block to get outside fast enough. Adderley cannot see the RB until its almost too late and he gets caught in a classic Rugby "stand up" move i see each week here in AUS (ball carrier swerves into the last defender and then uses momentum to carry him outside and the defender cant go from flat footed to top speed fast enough to catch him). In the foot race JC is closing in and could have made a tackle but was bumped ever so slightly making any effort at tackling futile as the runner would have carried momentum over the line anyhow.

SO yeah some perfect blocks by LG and FB and bad vision from Adderly. Chargers just got caught.
                    I see zero DL penetration, line of scrimmage pushed back immediately. Our entire front 5 lost their one-on-ones. Then poor LB support and a wiff by Adderly.

Comment

• jubei
                      Vagabond Ninja
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

What I see:

I dont think Murray woulda made that tackle...he didnt have a straight shot at the RB...came in but then rounded so I dont think he woulda caught the RB.

Comment

• foreigner
                        Tom Telesco is gone
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
                        Maybe I need to go fishing more often when they play so they can pull out the W. Nice work NMC. The run blocking on the Ek TD run was NICE! When blocking works in unison the run game becomes a work of art of different cogs working lock n step.
                        That's what I thought as well, but then I remember I didnt watch the Jaguars game live either...

Comment

Working...
                        X