Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Great (week5 vs CLE)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Great (week5 vs CLE)

Welcome back diehards, what a wonderful week its been topped off with another Chargers victory. Remember brochachos : Playoffs dont ask how you got your wins, just how many.
    This week we witnessed a masterclass at rushing the football from both teams. I was glued to my screen during film study with a huge smile on my face coz I love a good run game. Chubb + Hunt + Ekeler + Kelley man i had a good time. We even got to see some scrambles from Herbert (he must be feeling better) and Brissett. Jump in and lets roll along with them

The Good:
    1st quarter 4:01 on the clock, 1st and 10 ball on 25yrd line
    Bandy starts in motion, Sayler and Fieler double the DT while Linsley solo the NT and then pass him to Fieler. Zion immediately climbs to the second level and swallows the LB while Pipkins keeps Clowney on the edge. Ekeler initially has the option left (behind Carter) or right big hole. He is so small when we check the all-22 film you can see the CLE Safety has no vision on Ekeler until he bursts through the hole and is running by him. Ek's little legs goin hard but just not enough to get home for the TD.

The Bad:
    1st quarter 12:16 on the clock, 2nd and 1 ball on 39yrd line.
    Nick Chubb is a beast. He makes 7 Chargers miss tackles on his way to pay dirt. Tranquill shoots the A gap and slides off Chubb. Derwin in the hole but I still dont know how he didnt make the tackle. Rumph and Covington get gaught in the wash. Gilman takes good angle and has a shot to end it but Chubb too strong. Samuel overpersues and leaves the inside open for cutback and Mack didnt have enough at the goal line. Yeah we knew CLE was gonna run, and they are damn good at it.

The Great:
    4th quarter 2:56 on the clock, 3rd and 7 ball on 9yrd line.
    Alohi Gillman with the huuuuuge INT, game changing INT...game winning INT. This turnover comes after Browns 12play 6:45min drive which was tiring our def out. Chargers only rushed 4, but SJD gets pressure up the middle and makes Brissett panic. Mack coming across late should have had the sack. Brissett shows good agility and escapes. This is where we see Gilman about to rush QB in the flats but stops himself reading the eyes and snags the pick. Truly great instincts and play from Gilman he doesnt look back to the receiver just locked on QB eyes.

Honorable Mentions:

Hon1:
    Ekeler screen TD to take the lead after being down 0-14. Check out the big boys out in space

Hon2:
    Joshua Kelley running hard and breaking tackles. Me likey

Bonus clip:

This is one i noticed and wanted to share.
    Both Everett and McKitty in motion causing confusion on the defence. Fake pass to play action from Herbert adds to the confusion and McKitty is wide open when Herb pulls the trigger. Its a pity the pass was batted down becuase this was highlight material and the aggressive play calling folks have been longing for. Oh boy what could have been.

So there we have it diehards, another W on the road. Watching the Chargers win with the run game give me great confidence in them overcoming all kinds of adversity in future games. It also adds another dimension for opposing DC's to have to gameplan for. Chargers are turning the corner and look for future wins to showcase all of our weapons. They are not hot yet, but warming up!

as always
    luv ya
    -Chillies

• UtahBolt
    Did we win?
    • Jun 2013
    • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
    • Send PM

Thanks again NMC! I had to watch the game on my phone this week so it is good to see some breakdown here (again!). I noticed on Kelley's run you have featured here, looks like it was designed to go to the left side (or some sort of designed counter) but he cut back up into the big hole and made that play work. Good vision, to me it seems like that was all Kelley on that play, good to see him finally getting some chances!
    I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• jubei
      Vagabond Ninja
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Thx Chilli. For the 2nd week in a row I didnt watch the game but went fishing instead, and 2nd week in a row bolts won! So having deeper dives into some plays is nice to review.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
        Thx Chilli. For the 2nd week in a row I didnt watch the game but went fishing instead, and 2nd week in a row bolts won! So having deeper dives into some plays is nice to review.
        And where are you fishing on Monday night?

Comment

• jubei
          Vagabond Ninja
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

And where are you fishing on Monday night?
          :biggrin: Might try night fishing at Newport. But are you guys ever gonna let me watch another game again?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

:biggrin: Might try night fishing at Newport. But are you guys ever gonna let me watch another game again?
            Good job jubei.
            We'll let you know.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• jubei
              Vagabond Ninja
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Good job jubei.
              We'll let you know.
              I'll try to do my part. The wifey might have something to say about me fishing at night on a weekday...so I might have to just leave the house with her to go to the beach or something.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

The take about McKitty being wide open for a 35 yard TD pass, but the pass being batted down, is huge.

Like NMC, I am a big picture guy.

This is very, very foretelling.

We are about to discover how bold and successful this operation is.

By the end of the second 4 game section of the regular season.

:coffee:
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

I thought this was a beautiful misdirection counter play and it's something I don't think I've seen before: https://twitter.com/PatMcAfeeShow/st...18691462176770

Comment

• Craig440
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

great stuff once again NMC. Can we see the play where SJD got called for roughing the passer? I looked for it and can't find it on you tube. I just want to see it again. I thought at the time it was a game changing totally unnecessary call. I guess the NFL is looking into the roughing calls and they showed a bunch but not that one. (of course)

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                      Beef Before Gazelles
                      • May 2021
                      • Send PM

I'll join the others in saying THANK YOU, NMC. Great stuff.

Comment

• nomad1946
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2017
                        • West Yellowstone, Montana
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

I will chime in, your analysis is the highlight of the week here.

Comment

Working...
                        X