Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
    These ceremonies used to happen in Balboa park, correct? Or am I confusing it with something else?
    yes

I think they were sponsored by the Britebard Foundation.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

YOU CAN’t RUN … (echo echo …)

best I ever saw
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Riverwalk
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

He was as important to the Chargers defense as Aaron Donald to Rams.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
          YOU CAN’t RUN … (echo echo …)

best I ever saw
          That was the mantra when Big 'Mal anchored the center of the Chargers' defense. Remember when Wade Phillips became DC and installed the 3-4 D? It worked because of Big 'Mal. You could not run on the San Diego Chargers' defense. Big 'Mal would take on double and triple teams and wreck blocking schemes.

I remember when Beat hard drafted him in the 1998 supplemental draft. At the time the Chargers, while otherwise sucking (the Leaf era), had a pretty good run defense in a 4-3 scheme anchored by two pretty good DTs - Norman Hand and John Parrella. Big 'Mal backed up these two and learned from them his first few seasons. It helped develop him into the player he eventually became - the best interior defensive lineman in the game. Oh how I wish the Chargers could find another player like him.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
            Let's do this!
            • Aug 2022
            • Raleigh N. Carolina
            • Send PM

Who remembers that dirty shot when the Donkeys took out Jamal's ankles.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

yes

I think they were sponsored by the Britebard Foundation.
              There’s no way they’re still doing it here…mist have a new deal set up in LA…
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

That was the mantra when Big 'Mal anchored the center of the Chargers' defense. Remember when Wade Phillips became DC and installed the 3-4 D? It worked because of Big 'Mal. You could not run on the San Diego Chargers' defense. Big 'Mal would take on double and triple teams and wreck blocking schemes.

I remember when Beat hard drafted him in the 1998 supplemental draft. At the time the Chargers, while otherwise sucking (the Leaf era), had a pretty good run defense in a 4-3 scheme anchored by two pretty good DTs - Norman Hand and John Parrella. Big 'Mal backed up these two and learned from them his first few seasons. It helped develop him into the player he eventually became - the best interior defensive lineman in the game. Oh how I wish the Chargers could find another player like him.
                It’s all about the interior pressure now, a guy like jamal williams is almost considered a luxury on many ball clubs outside of pittsburg and baltimore…he would basically be a 1-2 down player…
                "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Riverwalk
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2021
                  • Send PM

It’s all about the interior pressure now, a guy like jamal williams is almost considered a luxury on many ball clubs outside of pittsburg and baltimore…he would basically be a 1-2 down player…
                  I was hoping Jordan Davis would fall to the Chargers but he was taken by eagles 4 picks ahead of us. He’s a force at NT that needs to be double teamed.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

He would lose weight then;
                    He would also learn better technique to rush the passer.

Disagree with you there.

Can anyone find the video of young JWall blasting the ball carrier out of bounds 50 yards down field?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

He was the best DL/NT we ever had. Big Hands Johnson and Ernie Ladd were also very good but Williams was a rare talent.
                      Louie keltcher was also very good.

He had a great game in the epic orange bowl playoff win.....forced the fumble when miami was driving to put the game away.
                      He clearly outplayed Big Hands that game.

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Louie keltcher was also very good.

He had a great game in the epic orange bowl playoff win.....forced the fumble when miami was driving to put the game away.
                        He clearly outplayed Big Hands that game.
                        I agree, I loved Louie. Remember how we would all yell Louie every time he made a tackle? He was a run stopper for sure but he seldom got after the QB.

That DL was the best we ever had.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• foreigner
                          Tom Telesco is gone
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

What a way to honor Jamal, totally expected from this franchise.

Comment

Working...
                          X