Film Study : The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (week10 vs SF)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Film Study : The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (week10 vs SF)

Welcome back diehards. This weeks loss showed me more heart in this team than any win could ever do. Watching our Def rise up time and time again even late into the 4th quarter was awe inspiring. Offense started on fire and Herb looked like the ribs didnt bother him. Sadly the Chargers were outclassed in skill but they did not give up. Losing Everett was a major blow. Lets open the wound

The Good:
    1st quarter 12:24 on the clock, 3rd and 4 ball on 50yard line. Here we see Herb at his best. Moving in the pocket and rolling out to his right hitting Everett who does a great job of highpointing the football. What impresses me is the very next play Chargers dial it up off play action for long Carter TD. This is how good the Chargers could be, but injuries hinder them.

The Bad:
    2nd quarter 4:52 on the clock, 1st and 10 ball on 44yard line.
    This play initially had good coverage, but Mack lost edge contain and Reeder lost his man behind him. A true broken play but this is NFL and these plays happen. Completing this big catch gave 49ers momentum which they carried to a score.

The Ugly:
    2nd quarter 0:38 on the clock, 3rd and 6 ball on 40yrd line
    Why Herb....WHY? I hate seeing herb get hit and this was nasty. The routes schemed Bandy open, but Herb never looks. At the top of QB drop, Palmer has a step on his man and is open. Herb zeroed in here and had to step up to avoid the rush. Then choosing to run and not slide, dive or get out trouble he takes the big hit. For the record: I dont think the 49er should have been ejected.

Honorable Mentions:

Hon1
    Just watch Tranq on this whole play.

Hon2
    Late in the 4th quarter the defense flies to the ball for the stop. This team is playing hard for coach Staley.

yeah losing hurts, but after watching that effort I cannot fault the Defense, they stood up the 49ers and gave our team a chance to win. Offense can hope we get some guys healthy

As always
    luv ya
    -Chillies
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Losing Everett with everyone else out at WR was just too big of a hole to fill.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

I forced myself to go back and watch the whole game just to focus on Foster Sarrell…I wanted to get a good feel for how he actually did…I had to remind myself that he faced off against one of the best pass rushers in the NFL…

what I came away with was that IMO, he did a better job than storm norton would’ve…Foster is stronger, he run blocks better, and despite his lack of experience his pass blocking is comparable to norton’s right now with a lot of upside because he plays stronger, he’s healthier, bigger, younger, and quicker than storm…I beleive he has a lot of upside left too…

I think he has a future in the NFL for sure…hopefully it’ll be with us…and he’s only going to improve…I said this in the summer during training camp that he’s a natural RT and they were playing him at LT almost exclusively, now we know that salyer can fill in at LT when needed so even if Foster doesn’t improve his LT play he still brings value as a backup RT and LT3 in a pinch…
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
        Losing Everett with everyone else out at WR was just too big of a hole to fill.
        If you want to truly understandmwhy the offense couldn’t do anything in the second half it’s because of this, this more than any adjustments the 49er defense made, this because mckitty couldn’t do what everett does…
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• jubei
          Vagabond Ninja
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

If you want to truly understandmwhy the offense couldn’t do anything in the second half it’s because of this, this more than any adjustments the 49er defense made, this because mckitty couldn’t do what everett does…
          mckitty cat SUCKS donkey balls! with a receiving corp of JP, Bandy, and mckitty no wonder the O got nothing done. I guess the D just focused more on DeAndre and left everyone else to run cuz they got no abilities.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

mckitty cat SUCKS donkey balls! with a receiving corp of JP, Bandy, and mckitty no wonder the O got nothing done. I guess the D just focused more on DeAndre and left everyone else to run cuz they got no abilities.
            take any team in the NFL, ANY team, take away their WR1, their WR2, their TE1, LT1, their RT1, their TE2, their RB2, and their WR4 and they are going to struggle…this level of decimation is completely unprecedented, I’ve been a charger fan for almost 45 years and I’ve never seen anything even close to this, NEVER…

EDIT: oh yeah, and break the QB1s ribs too

Comment

• nomad1946
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2017
              • West Yellowstone, Montana
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Thank NMC. I take some solace that they did fight hard to the end even with so many injuries. I am not sure they will be able to win many more games without some of those injured players returning, but I always have hope, until we are mathematically eliminated.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
                I forced myself to go back and watch the whole game just to focus on Foster Sarrell…I wanted to get a good feel for how he actually did…I had to remind myself that he faced off against one of the best pass rushers in the NFL…

what I came away with was that IMO, he did a better job than storm norton would’ve…Foster is stronger, he run blocks better, and despite his lack of experience his pass blocking is comparable to norton’s right now with a lot of upside because he plays stronger, he’s healthier, bigger, younger, and quicker than storm…I beleive he has a lot of upside left too…

I think he has a future in the NFL for sure…hopefully it’ll be with us…and he’s only going to improve…I said this in the summer during training camp that he’s a natural RT and they were playing him at LT almost exclusively, now we know that salyer can fill in at LT when needed so even if Foster doesn’t improve his LT play he still brings value as a backup RT and LT3 in a pinch…
                I agree on Sarrell. Impressive given the circumstances, and Shaun Saurett, the Oline coach, is doing exceptional considering what he has to work with. Maybe Sarrell can be an above average guard and/or backup RT after Pipkins comes back, or Salyer moves to RT after Slater returns.

I still want the staff to try out Jaimes at RT even if he doesn't have the prototypical physical assets for an NFL tackle. Much was said about Rashawn not being able to be a starting NFL left tackle before the draft either because of his supposed physical limitations, with some analysts pegging him as a guard instead.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                  What impresses me is the very next play Chargers dial it up off play action for long Carter TD
                  Wish Lombo would dial up more plays like this...sigh...

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

Yeah, they lost but they sure did fight hard. If we had a couple of good WR's out there, we would have won because the defense played well.

I do wish they would throw deep to Carter about once a quarter. If the defense can come out playing that hard every week and we get KA & MW back, we still have a shot. We still couldn't get the running game going though. That's a worry going forward.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Rambler
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • No Cal
                      • Civil Research Attorney
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                      Yeah, they lost but they sure did fight hard. If we had a couple of good WR's out there, we would have won because the defense played well.

I do wish they would throw deep to Carter about once a quarter. If the defense can come out playing that hard every week and we get KA & MW back, we still have a shot. We still couldn't get the running game going though. That's a worry going forward.
                      Popper just posted an article on The Athletic that broke down three first down plays in the second half. They show that the 9ers were basically daring the Chargers to run, and that breakdowns by McKitty on one play and by Sorell on another caused a loss or minimal gain on playcalls which should have worked against that defense. If we had been able to get the running game going, it would have forced the 9ers to adjust, and opened up the pass game a bit.

Popper characterized McKitty this year as inconsistent as a run blocker. Which is a problem because McKitty was drafted to be primarily a run blocker. And he doesn't seem to have the hands or speed to be able to develop into a more balanced tight end.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Rambler View Post
                        Popper characterized McKitty this year as inconsistent as a run blocker. Which is a problem because McKitty was drafted to be primarily a run blocker. And he doesn't seem to have the hands or speed to be able to develop into a more balanced tight end.
                        McKitty...a poor blocker with hands of stone...two strikes, yer out...
                        (or should be)

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡