Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (week11 vs KC)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (week11 vs KC)

Welcome back diehards and this weeks loss really feels like we are dying haha. Such a heartbreaker and from mostly 1 dude. Travis Kelce is the Charger killer. It sucks to say, but gotta give credit where its due. This game our offense played well enough to win it, but the defense let us down. We did get to see Herb make some teriffic throws, some new and exotic run formations and our def make a crucial stop. In the end the Chiefs just played better.

The Good:
    1st quarter 9:45 on the clock, 2nd and 2 ball on the 50yrd line.
    Chargers open up with 3x1 formation to the left, Herb in shotgun with Ek on his flank. Carter in motion, Ekeler takes the attention of the LB and the CB, Herb rolls right keeping the safety in the middle. At the top of the drop Herb has 2 wide open receivers to choose from, and we all know what Herb likes who doesnt like the bomb TD!!!! Great formations and route concepts with blocking too boot. When the players execute this is the result. Note I did notice 3 other attemps at similar plays later in the game but each time Herb checkdown.

The Bad:
    4th quarter 15:00 on the clock. 3rd and 4 ball on 32yrd line
    Travis Kelce... yeah it hurts. Reeder misses the pass, ASJ misses the pass breakup, Adderly misses the tackle, Vato misses the angle. All bad

The Ugly:
    4th quarter 0:37 on the clock, 3rd and 4 ball on 16yrd line.
    Travis freakin Kelce!!! I wanted this matchup : Derwin vs Kelce. I wanted Derwin to prove he is the best. He fell asleep at the snap and never recovered.

Honorable Mentions:

Hon1
    Check out this exotic formation and run blocking

Hon2
    Loved the big 3rd down stop and held KC to FG.

Bonus content:
    We make a big fuss about defenses stacking the box. Here is the perfect example. KC stacked the box and zero blitz. MDub is what Chargers miss in shredding this defense. please heal up MDub.

The loss hurts, please make the bad man stop. Travis Kelce i love watching you, just not against my Chargers.
    As Always
    luv ya
    -Chillies
  • BoltUp InLA
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2020
    • Send PM

Thanks for the breakdown! I’ve rewatched most of the games this season, as well as last season, and I mostly come away satisfied with the Lombardi schemes. Sometimes Herbert leaves plays on the field and other times players simply miss assignments, especially from mostly young players along the offensive line and even more so in the regression of McKitty in the run game.

Special teams have been adequate to above average this season. It’s on the defensive side where the chargers are still lagging near the bottom of the league the last couple of season, which I did not expect this far into the season when so many pieces were added with prior experience in his scheme, while others gained a year experience playing in it last season. Injuries have played a role here also, but I’m curious as to why it seems that there is much more criticism towards Lombardi than Staley.

Staley was hired to be a defensive guru. He decided to move on from Steichen to a very different offense with Lombardi. Herbert is still a young QB going thru some growing pains where his exceptional arm talent sometimes overshadow his youth and his injury this season, which has certainly impacted his performance, along with a slew of other key injuries on offense. It’s not hard to see now that Kelce is Mahomes security blanket, as is Keenan is Herbert’s. A trusted receiver that can always get open is essential for a QB’s success in my opinion. Please see Aaron Rogers struggles this season so far without Devonte.

Can you imagine if Herbert were on the Dolphins with that team speed and receivers that can create that much separation? I really like the Chargers pieces on offense also. The healthier they get, the return in offensive production we will see no doubt, but I have my doubts on the defensive side, even when Bosa returns.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Not certain why Derwin had outside leverage on Kelce, with no help inside, on Kelce's game winning touchdown.

Another screw up by the defensive genius?

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
        Not certain why Derwin had outside leverage on Kelce, with no help inside, on Kelce's game winning touchdown.

Popper hinted that there should have been help inside on that play. Our other safeties just are not very good. I'm done with Nas - let's see what JT can do. It's not like he could be less impactful than Nas has been.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Popper hinted that there should have been help inside on that play. Our other safeties just are not very good. I'm done with Nas - let's see what JT can do. It's not like he could be less impactful than Nas has been.
          Going back and re-watching it, I don't see who could possibly offer immediate help inside. All the cbs on the far side were matched up one on one.
          Adderly is the only possible db who could rotate immediately to the shallow far side. However, why would he do that? Watching Adderly, at the snap he immediately rotates down into the center, as if by design. JT Woods? simultaneously rotates towards the deeper center.

Sure, Adderly is slow to recognize that Kelce is the more dangerous target. If played properly, the best he could have done is tackle Kelce inside the 5.
          The type of reaction you want out of your safety, on a bread and butter Chief's play, is instilled during practice on Wednesday/Thursday and in the film room.
          Instead Staley probably wears them out with too much shit.

The fault lies in the defensive scheme is what I see. The KC receiver in the slot is running a route to set a pick on Derwin .... it wasn't necessary.

It was a matter of Reid burning Staley (again) - with Adderly not limiting that play to a 1rst and goal on the 3 yard line.

Whenever I focus on a big play against a Staley D, i see this time and again. Players are put in a bad situation.
          He's not what we thought he was....there is an ineptitude to the guy.
          Last edited by powderblueboy; 11-23-2022, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• UtahBolt
            Did we win?
            • Jun 2013
            • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

My first thought exactly...Kelce was obviously hoping for Derwin to set outside shade based on how tight he lines up on Mack's hip. What is more troubling is neither Derwin or Mack check Kelce off the line. Derwin has the golden opportunity to hammer Kelce on the head fake and instead he just sits. Ugh. Free release against out side shade with no middle zone help leads to a disaster.

Thanks as always NMC!
            I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Berserker76
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Yep, I'd like to see some JT, too. Nas just not impressive, in coverage or tackling. Don't be afraid of change, it's often required to move forward. Thanks for the great vids, NMC, there's only so much my old mind can absorb watching a game in real-time.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post

My first thought exactly...Kelce was obviously hoping for Derwin to set outside shade based on how tight he lines up on Mack's hip. What is more troubling is neither Derwin or Mack check Kelce off the line. Derwin has the golden opportunity to hammer Kelce on the head fake and instead he just sits. Ugh. Free release against out side shade with no middle zone help leads to a disaster.

Thanks as always NMC!
                It looks like Derwin’s feet were stuck in mud at the outset of that route. He was unbelievably slow to react given the situation. Doesn’t make sense to give Kelce a free release AND a head start. Just not good enough Derwin

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

By the way NMC, I feel you on Kelce. He’s a killer. He’s also 33 and showing no signs of slowing. His durability is amazing. Make it stop

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

I think that our failure to stop them on third down is our biggest problem. Time after time we do a good job on first and second down but fail on third down. It can be third and forever but we give it up.

As for Kelce, we have no clue how to stop him. I don't think anyone does.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                      French Speaking Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Québec city
                      • Send PM

Speeking of 3rd down
                      The Chargers were 4/8 in first half
                      The Chiefs, 2/6
                      At the end of the game,
                      Chargers 8/14 and Chiefs, 5/10
                      I think the play of the game is when ASJ missed Kelcey by an inch on 3rd down for their 2nd TD.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                        I think that our failure to stop them on third down is our biggest problem. Time after time we do a good job on first and second down but fail on third down. It can be third and forever but we give it up.

As for Kelce, we have no clue how to stop him. I don't think anyone does.
                        Well, and that 3rd and 17 was a contender for “Ugly” in my mind. 3rd and 17 from the seven. Derwin had sacked Mahomes on 1st down. Gave us momentum. Incomplete on 2nd down. Then on 3rd, the Chargers DBs were 15 yards off the line and the safeties 20-25 yards back. It was maddening. They acted like Tyreek was on the field goi g deep. One of the worst plays of the game and I don’t know why Staley doesn’t have them playing more aggressive on that down and distance from their own 7

Comment

Working...
                        X