Chargers at Cardinals Game Day Thread | Post Game Reaction (Wk 12)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

You're too philosophical for my little brain. Half the time, I have no idea what you're trying to say. When I do understand, I almost always disagree with you. I know what this forum is; I've been around a lot longer than you. Straw man yourself.
    Contribute some actual football takes, would ya ?
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Contribute some actual football takes, would ya ?
      Get off your pompous, philosophical high horse, would ya?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

You get away with a lot of personal negative commentary.

When you don't like the message, you shoot the messenger.

If anyone else perceives me as personally arrogant, then I apologize to TPB.

My number one goal is for this place to flourish with legit, friendly football talk.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Are you OK? It's obvious that something is going on in your life that is causing distress, and you are venting here, it has relatively little to do with football. What ever it is, I hope you are able to resolve it.

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

You get away with a lot of personal negative commentary.

When you don't like the message, you shoot the messenger.

If anyone else perceives me as personally arrogant, then I apologize to TPB.

My number one goal is for this place to flourish with legit, friendly football talk.
            You're a moderator (how?) and I can't put you on ignore. I only 'shoot the messenger' when the messenger shoots first. I completely disagree with your 'transformer' theory and you don't like that, so you attack. So much for friendly, legit football talk.

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Are you OK? It's obvious that something is going on in your life that is causing distress, and you are venting here, it has relatively little to do with football. What ever it is, I hope you are able to resolve it.
              LOL! Thanks, Doc. I'm down on the Chargers, which is the only 'distress' I'm experiencing. Which is obviously causing you distress. But you keep feigning concern.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                So Herbie can, conceivably, be #1 in TDs and passing yards in his first three seasons. Amazing. Particularly in light of the terrible coaching he's had the last two years.

Comment

• Velo
                  Ride!
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Everywhere
                  • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

Ya, I subscribe to the Athletic so I read most of his columns. And in reading this one, I see the very thing that concerned me:

"The Cardinals, though, had clearly scouted this play, and they were ready for it in this part of the field. Arizona linebacker Isaiah Simmons was matched up with Ekeler, and he sprinted with the Chargers running back to the flat after the play fake. Herbert threw on the run and hit Ekeler right in the chest. Simmons had him wrapped up at the goal line."

It is those two things that make me question the play overall (or parts of it). Again, running the route shorter than the goal line seems problematic to me AND (the bigger question) did Herbert force the ball to a well-covered receiver and miss the wide open dude inside the endzone?

I think I'm correct on both counts, but who knows.
                  That play is at 14:20 in this vid. When Herbert takes the snap he spins all the way around from his left. He never looks at McKitty. He's looking for Everett first, but Everett is blanketed. At this point he's on a dead run to the right facing Ekeler. McKitty disengages from his blocks and sort of saunters into the end zone; his body language signals he's unsure about what he's doing. Even if Herbert saw McKitty, who was now behind him, he would have to turn from the direction he was sprinting and try to make an accurate thrown across his body, to a receiver he probably doesn't have a lot of confidence in. If I were Herbert and I saw that McKitty was open behind me, I think I still make the easy toss to my best playmaker and give him the opportunity to beat his man and score, because that is what Ekeler does.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

As explained by Charlie Weiss, QBs go through progressions. There typically is not time to "survey the entire field." Herbert liked EK vs Simmons and was never going to get to anyone else in his progressions. See EKs TD numbers vs anyone else in footballs TD numbers.
                    Last edited by wu-dai clan; 11-29-2022, 10:07 AM. Reason: error in term used

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

So Herbie can, conceivably, be #1 in TDs and passing yards in his first three seasons. Amazing. Particularly in light of the terrible coaching he's had the last two years.
                      He had some good offensive output in 2020 and 2021 because of coaching IMO. People wanted Steichen gone for example and now want him back. Sometimes there are outside mitigating factors in play.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Everyone, please stop responding to posts that will only exacerbate the situation. Just learn to ignore and move on if the conversation is leading to unproductive anger and bickering. Seriously, namaste peeps!

Comment

• QSmokey
                          Guardedly Optimistic
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kuna, Idaho
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

He had some good offensive output in 2020 and 2021 because of coaching IMO. People wanted Steichen gone for example and now want him back. Sometimes there are outside mitigating factors in play.
                          True, Pep was good for Herbie. It's the Staley/Lombo duo that's been more of a challenge. Plus...I have always contend that, this season, his injury was more serious than most were led to believe.

Comment

Working...
                          X