• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

OT: Undefeated Season

Has there ever been a 13-0 team that has gotten as little media attention as the Carolina Panthers?

Discuss.
  • MakoShark
    Disgruntled
    • Jun 2013
    • North Alabama
    • Send PM

They aren't the Cheaters and they don't have a Manning, so they're barely on the "we know what you want to hear about" ESPN radar. Most would rather hate on Cam Newton for his TD dances, than recognize how much he means to that team and offense. He has really matured into his role and is one of the 'real' good guys in the NFL. There is a real double standard when it comes to Newton and the Panthers. Defensive players all have a sack dance, yet Newton can't have a TD dance. Why is that defense not getting any press time? That is a smothering, aggressive unit that Rivera has put together. Its the type of defense that will give even the leagues best QB's a very hard time. And, they are doing it after they let go one of their best lineman in Hardy. It will be interesting to see how they respond after they do lose a game, but I think they are the real deal. I almost think it would be better for them in the long run to go ahead and play a clunker game just to get it out of their system and put that bad taste in their mouth. That way, the hype goes away and they can focus on just playing football.
    sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

I think most of the dislike of Newton isn't so much because of the dances, it's because of what a whiny, self promoting little bitch he was his first few years in the league. The pouting on the bench with a towel on his head when things got tough showed something about him and turned a lot of people off. He is playing much better now and is surrounded by a hell of a team. I just wonder if the pouting would return if he was the QB of the Chargers...

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

If they change their name to New York or Boston, paint their quarterback white and hook him up with a model for a wife, or find a way to make Ron Rivera controversial, we'll be hearing a lot more about the Jerry Richardsons.

Other than that, the only way they are getting pub is by winning the Super Bowl. They are too small market. When I lived in NC, almost everybody there was a Snyder fan. One of those years the Richardsons were a play away from winning the Super Bowl. Still - few cared.

Comment

• MakoShark
          Disgruntled
          • Jun 2013
          • North Alabama
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          I think most of the dislike of Newton isn't so much because of the dances, it's because of what a whiny, self promoting little bitch he was his first few years in the league. The pouting on the bench with a towel on his head when things got tough showed something about him and turned a lot of people off. He is playing much better now and is surrounded by a hell of a team. I just wonder if the pouting would return if he was the QB of the Chargers...
          IMO, Newton was vastly misunderstood. The towel thing on the head was something he did all through college, not just when things got tough, and people misinterpreted it. Did he whine and pout, yes. Self promoting little bitch, really? He had to grow up a bit. I think he's found himself at this point, but I do wonder how he'll react when the next bit of adversity comes his way. Overall it appears they are a well run organization. They've drafted smartly, didn't pull the plug on Rivera too soon, weren't afraid to part with a trouble maker and have build a solid roster.
          sigpic

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by MakoShark View Post
            Self promoting little bitch, really?
            Really.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I would have no issue if the Panthers did finish undefeated, but I'm 50/50 that they even make the Superbowl. I think the Cardinals will put up a great fight. As far as Cam Newton on-field antics, (and anyone in that generation), it doesn't look good for traditionalists, but I'll accept it as what it is...he's not on my lawn! Philip Rivers has been portrayed as a trash-talking goon by other fans, but we know better. I've read that Cam is a decent guy off the field in his charity work, and other than that crazy car accident that wasn't his fault, he's been a model citizen.

Comment

• captaind
                Cook This Pork Chops
                • Jun 2013
                • Mars
                • Ball Holder
                • Send PM

Name five players on the 2015 Carolina Panthers.

I just tested myself and failed.

Comment

• sandiego17
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  Those things didn't stop the media from riding Peyton's or Brady's jock. They were every bit as bad, in Manning's case much worse.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by captaind View Post
                    Name five players on the 2015 Carolina Panthers.

I just tested myself and failed.
                    Stream of consciousness....so I might not get to 5....but here's my shot:

Cam Newton
                    Mike Tolbert
                    Ted Ginn
                    Luke Kuechly
                    Greg Olson

Wait...I have some more...

Star However You Spell His Name
                    Kelvin Benjamin
                    Funchess
                    Jordan Gross

I thought that might be harder. But once I got going, it kinda flowed out of me like a good cry.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                      Stream of consciousness....so I might not get to 5....but here's my shot:

Cam Newton
                      Mike Tolbert
                      Ted Ginn
                      Luke Kuechly
                      Greg Olson

Wait...I have some more...

Star However You Spell His Name
                      Kelvin Benjamin
                      Funchess
                      Jordan Gross

I thought that might be harder. But once I got going, it kinda flowed out of me like a good cry.
                      Fozzy

Comment

• MakoShark
                        Disgruntled
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Alabama
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                        Those things didn't stop the media from riding Peyton's or Brady's jock. They were every bit as bad, in Manning's case much worse.
                        This.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X