Potential silver lining for die-hard Chargers fans suffering thru this dismal season

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maverick
    (Coryellian)
    • Jun 2013
    • Point Loma
    • Send PM

Potential silver lining for die-hard Chargers fans suffering thru this dismal season

I for one would LOVE to see this happen....even if it worsens our 2016 draft position.

According to thebiglead.com: Denver could STILL miss the playoffs, even after starting 10-2...

• Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

How would last year's really bad Jets team get to 11-5? New management?
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
      Ryan Fitzpatrick is their starting QB this year. Geno Smith was their starting QB last year.

Comment

fender57
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        Ryan Fitzpatrick is their starting QB this year. Geno Smith was their starting QB last year.
        And the Jets backed into that one by virtue of what's his face breaking Geno's jaw during preseason.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
          And the Jets backed into that one by virtue of what's his face breaking Geno's jaw during preseason.
          It's amazing how much the QB play either can make or break a team's season. That is also one thing that astounds me about the Chargers this year - Rivers is actually having a pretty solid year. How bad would we be if we had just an average QB?

Comment

fender57
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I suppose a 10-3 game could've easily been 38-3 if Clemens was throwing tons of pick-sixes at QB. Chargers could very well be winless without Rivers.

Comment

• Fleet
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Cardiff - Poipu
              • Send PM

Jets can stop the run. And run the ball on offense. 2 pretty important aspects of winning imo. At least its what ive always believed. Not to mention they have a pretty good pair of WRs. And injuries havnt been a problem. Starts with a stud Center in Mangold and a good LT. 2 first rounders. At some point in the last 10 years they have really focused on the OL and DL. Add a QB worth a damn to those investments and good things can happen.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Silver Lining?

Cheap stuff!

Someone in El Cajon is offering up a helmet tape dispenser for $15. In National City, $10 or your best offer lands a shower curtain (unused, we hope). In La Costa, you can snap up a “finely crafted red table wine” with former linebacker Jim Laslavic on the label.

Welcome to Craigslist, the classified advertising website moonlighting as a makeshift barometer for the unbendable backing, bewilderment and bile of San Diego Chargers fans.

Start with tickets sales for Sunday’s home finale against the Miami Dolphins and meander, if you dare, through Internet chat rooms, sports talk radio and online comments tagged on the bottom of Union-Tribune stories.

The most intriguing measure, though, might be Craigslist’s page after page of tickets, T-shirts and memorabilia of all sizes, interests and eras. Many are capped with timely sales pitches like, “Get them while they’re still in San Diego.”

Uncertainty about a possible move to Los Angeles, mixed with ownership discontent and a healthy dash of a bad season means hundreds have scrambled to the bustling cyberspace marketplace.

Cue, Manny in North Park.

He’s trying to unload about 3,000 football cards that chronicle the up-and-down history of his hometown team. He would take cash, of course, but also will consider “bass guitar gear and laminate flooring” — you know, being the open-minded fan that he is.

“I actually have quite a few jerseys I’ve contemplated selling,” said Manny, whose last name is Rose. “I told my wife, I should wear them to work at least, because they’re going to Goodwill if they leave.”

Let’s include some numbers, since football is loaded with those sorts of things.

There were 1,171 listings with the words “San Diego Chargers” on the city’s Craigslist page, as of Tuesday afternoon. A peek at other AFC teams with four or fewer wins — Baltimore (756), Cleveland (664) and Tennessee (281) — showed a lot less horse trading.

So, toss in a few Tarot cards, some planetary alignment calculations and a bit of presidential polling data and that’s almost science, right?

Enough about science, though. We’ve got to get back to Manny. He’s our Edison, Newton and Galileo of the Chargers’ journey along the Information Super Highway.

“There’s limited value now (for Chargers merchandise online), but if they actually leave, you look at the after-market value and it’s probably pretty grim,” he said. “It’s like in the NFL or the NBA, when a premiere player gets traded. Then you find that old jersey for $10 at Marshalls.”

So what becomes of those unsold Pez dispensers? What about the $39 Philip Rivers comforter set for those hoping to get close to the talented quarterback? On second thought, that might be a little too close.

There’s the set of four Chargers “shot” glasses in Spring Valley — except the person typed an “i” instead of an “o.” The seller added, “Brand new!” We can only hope. Keep drifting through the clickable morass and find women in bikinis holding up jerseys. (Reminder to self: Clear browsing history on work computer.)

Fans seem to be bolting away from the Bolts and their embattled owners. We need a voice of calm and reason.

Manny?

“On one hand, if your team is going to be worth twice as much in the L.A. market than here, I get it,” he said. “It would be like saying my condo being worth a $1 million more in La Jolla than North Park, so I can relate to that.

“But public relations-wise, I think they really fumbled.”

That’s the complexity of the conflicted on Craigslist, where memories and loyalties are suddenly for sale. A tote back in Pacific Beach? Sell it. A neon bar sign in Chula Vista? Make me an offer. A hat signed by a Charger (though “I don’t know who it is”) in Escondido? Toss me 10 bucks.

You wade through items like Charger-themed bike frames and are reminded of how much moolah is tied to a professional sports franchise and trickles from it — especially in the money-soaked NFL.

Manny weighs in: “But, when you’re arguing over $600 million versus a billion, I don’t have a lot of compassion for that. If that’s the case, appraise the team up there and see if someone would pay here. Just sell the team.

“Then again, maybe Donald Trump will become President and buy the team. Can I get an Amen on that?”

Manny, we’re done here.
                Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

This divorce is not that bad. I've got college basketball as a younger, prettier mistress. And maybe we can still be friends.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

As long as Peyton Manning isn't playing, I hope the Broncos go undefeated.
                    I hope, as soon as the playoffs start, Manning gets his job back and throws 10 interceptions in the first quarter and gets booed unmercifully until he's benched. Then the backup dude can come in and lead the Broncos to victory.
                    Then Peyton gets his job back for the next game, becomes the first quarterback to accidentally rocket a pass into his own nutsack, throws 15 interceptions in the first quarter, and gets booed. Then the backup dude can come in and lead the Broncos to victory.
                    After that, I hope Manning grabs the mic, yells "I did this in the name of Spanos, that dumb motherfucker that my brother was smart enough to never play for. And, while I'm at it, fuck all the NFL owners, fuck Tom Brady, and motherfuck John Elway. San Diego rules. Legalize it, bitches."
                    Then Manning starts in the Super Bowl, throws 500 touchdowns, dedicates every yard to SAN DIEGO Chargers fans, grabs the Lombardi, pimp slaps every Bronco official who gets in the way, nut kicks the commissioner, and meets us all at the Murph. He says, yo, SAN DIEGO Chargers fans, check what's under your seats. And, guess what's under our seats. Weed, baby. Oh yea, and the billion dollars he took from the Spanos family in a class action lawsuit against assholes.
                    The Spanoses are broke. We're all rich. Weed is legal, and we got the Lombardi.
                    That's a silver lining.
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-16-2015, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

DUDE!!!! THAT IS REAL ULTIMATE POWER!!!!

My dog should headbutt all of your ninjas until all of their boners explode!!!!!
                      REAL
                      ULTIMATE
                      POWER
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• floydefisher
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • siberiacuse, ny
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                        New coach, Darrell Revis coming back, new QB.

That's for starters.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X