• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

It wouldn’t be worth more than players getting hurt. Coaches don’t hold out their best players in meaningless games just for rest. They do it for protection. Coaches can’t hold out 22-28 guys (depending how we count “starter”), the starting lineups in these games are often a loud public statement on which players he values the most (and which, in contrast, he values less). Thats how it is. I would sit the following:

- Herbie -The Golden Boy - protect at all cost, sacrifice the village to save him
    - Eke - one of a kind
    - Bosa (once avail)
    - Mack - he could use a rest to rejuvenate old muscles
    - Derwin (he may be out anyway)
    - Vato - our best lockdown CB now, vital to the new Staley scheme
    - KA & MDub both - having them vs not having them is a huge difference

Hmmm, who else do I want to sit … let me think more …
    - Slater i give some min reps if he’s ready for Denver week. Maybe 2 series then pull him.
    You make valid points about rest for injury.

But as Riverwalk said - the offense still has work to do
    and Bosa I think needs reps - so limit the snap but get him on the field against the Rams and Denver

My guess, Staley plays this week straight up and uses the Denver game as the "bye" week

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
      COSTA MESA, Calif. -- Situated off the Pacific Coast Highway, with an expansive view of Crystal Cove on the Newport Coast, sits Mastro's Ocean Club.

It's a see-and-be-seen spot, enriched by live music, an impeccable bar and mouth-watering menu.

Seafood platters overflow with lobster, shrimp, crab and oysters. Steaks and chops of every variety fill a plate -- including rack of lamb, porterhouse, filet and wagyu beef. There's delectable sides of white cheddar macaroni and cheese as well as truffle gnocchi. And butter cake. Lots and lots of butter cake.

In a corner of the restaurant, a separate entrance leads to a private room, enclosed by floor-to-ceiling glass. An area where the restaurant's ambiance can be felt, but one where lively conversations can flow freely without interruption.

Welcome to Friday nights with the Los Angeles Chargers' defense, and as of late, the offense, too.

"A lot of food gets thrown down," linebacker Kyle Van Noy said. "And honestly, it's awesome to be a part of, and part of something that is each and every week."

Order what you want -- veteran edge rusher Khalil Mack is happy to pick up the bill.

"Absolutely," get whatever you want, Mack says, and the price "absolutely" does not matter.

A crowd of NFL players -- somewhere between 20 to 40 at a time -- gather at some of Newport Beach's swankiest restaurants -- Mastro's, Javier's and Nobu -- to break bread, build camaraderie and forge their way to the NFL's postseason.
      This story kind of reminds me of another story about that famed Rams O-line of the 70's--Mack, Harrah, Jackie Slater, Pankey, France...as the story goes, they showed up at one of those "all you can eat" places in the L.A. area...they were pretty hungry...and they reportedly CLEANED THE PLACE OUT! NO food was left after they got done...the manager reportedly told them to NEVER come back again...

Comment

• cmplxgal
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • New Jersey
        • Send PM

As others have said, these two games are far from meaningless. First, the Chargers need to maintain momentum. Second, getting the fifth seed is actually pretty likely: The Chargers need to win their last two, and the Ravens need to lose to the Bengals in Cinncinnati in week 18. All of those should happen. At that point, the Ravens and Chargers would both be 11-6, but the Chargers would win the tiebreaker on the basis of better conference record (8-4 vs. 7-5), as I understand the tiebreaking procedures.

The Bengals would rest their starters in week 18 only if the Ravens lose this weekend to the Steelers, which won't happen.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Yes,

serious consideration should be taken on limiting Mack's snap count the next two games.
          Also Callahan.

They are light at DT,
          and any injury to Fox, Fehoko, or SBJ would be critical.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
            https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...then-chemistry

Mack.jpg

It's Khalil Mack. I read all about his positive impact on the 2018 Bears, they won the division title the year he arrived.
            He’s #1 Team MVP after Herbie in my mind.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
              As others have said, these two games are far from meaningless. First, the Chargers need to maintain momentum. Second, getting the fifth seed is actually pretty likely: The Chargers need to win their last two, and the Ravens need to lose to the Bengals in Cinncinnati in week 18. All of those should happen. At that point, the Ravens and Chargers would both be 11-6, but the Chargers would win the tiebreaker on the basis of better conference record (8-4 vs. 7-5), as I understand the tiebreaking procedures.

The Bengals would rest their starters in week 18 only if the Ravens lose this weekend to the Steelers, which won't happen.
              The difference between #5 /#6 seed is not small:

difference between going to Jacksonville, or going to Cincy/Buffalo/K.C.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

there is value in winning, no doubt. But I am not risking my star players for a seeding improvement. I don’t want to face ANY playoff team with my start players out for injury.

Momentum is overstated imo. Many of the top seeds sit their stars the last week - and they almost always win the first playoff round they play. Top seed also doesn’t play the first week of playoffs and they still usually win. If resting were so bad, teams would always lose coming out of the bye. Do we fear the bye - hell no, we look forward to the advantage of having a rested team vs. an opponent who played a hard grueling game just last Sunday.

I do find some truth in the need for the Offense to improve. I’m not sure how much the 60 game reps will improve them, or which portions should play more vs less to improve. I don’t think Slayer and Mdub need any more reps. I don’t see ANY reps worth the risk of Herbie getting crushed and injured. I don’t think Eke will get better from playing one more game. Its elusive - not sure the answer.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• SK21209
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2020
                  • San Diego
                  • Send PM

I'm not counting the Steelers out against the Ravens this week, the Ravens are probably the one fanbase more frustrated with their offensive coordinator than we are. They're almost incapable of not playing close games with how conservative their offense is and its not a given that Lamar Jackson is back this week.

Speaking of the Ravens, if they managed to win that division over the Bengals (unlikely), would we rather be the 6 seed playing @Baltimore or the 5 seed playing @Jacksonville? I think its a fair question, I'd still probably want the #5 seed.

Comment

• electricgold
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

The difference between #5 /#6 seed is not small:

difference between going to Jacksonville, or going to Cincy/Buffalo/K.C.

If the Chargers play Coach Staley's WAY, I like our chances against all these teams.

Playoffs or Bust< PLAYOFFS (check)

Super Bowl winner (to be determined)

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I'm thinking about Joey Bosa today. I want him back for the playoffs so badly....

Comment

• electricgold
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

there is value in winning, no doubt. But I am not risking my star players for a seeding improvement. I don’t want to face ANY playoff team with my start players out for injury.

Momentum is overstated imo. Many of the top seeds sit their stars the last week - and they almost always win the first playoff round they play. Top seed also doesn’t play the first week of playoffs and they still usually win. If resting were so bad, teams would always lose coming out of the bye. Do we fear the bye - hell no, we look forward to the advantage of having a rested team vs. an opponent who played a hard grueling game just last Sunday.

I do find some truth in the need for the Offense to improve. I’m not sure how much the 60 game reps will improve them, or which portions should play more vs less to improve. I don’t think Slayer and Mdub need any more reps. I don’t see ANY reps worth the risk of Herbie getting crushed and injured. I don’t think Eke will get better from playing one more game. Its elusive - not sure the answer.
                        You can't control injuries, I'm sure if the Denver game is a meaningless game in regard to a higher seed, players will be rested. The rams game is going to be tough because this will be the rams biggest pride game for the Fight for LA, which in fact they lost this year! Also the Chargers are the Los Angeles Chargers of Southern California and I believe they have a bigger fan base at this point even tho the rams won the bowl! For some reason the general public LOVE our CHARGERS, there is something so attractive about our team, like kind of a magnet! I truly believe all or most of the former so-cal Raiders fans have migrated over to the Bolts now and have fallen in love with the Chargers. That in its self is a beautiful thing because the former raiders fans have finally seen the light!

Comment

• Caslon
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2019
                          • Send PM

Use these last two games as televised scrimmages.

Comment

Working...
                          X