• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Parcells
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I’m hoping that after this season he’s due a Super Bowl ring. It does seem like he doesn’t have a lot left in the tank.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
      Outback Goon
      • Sep 2018
      • Australia
      • Send PM

i saw Sony run hard and get 1st downs

i dont know where this hate is coming from

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

He didn't lose us any game, or dog it, or act like a jerk.
        It's not like he pocketed a lot of money.

A bad look for this site.....its what you would expect on Chief's planet.

Comment

• Rambler
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • No Cal
          • Civil Research Attorney
          • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

I agree, but I don't see this as hate against Sony. It's the frustration of seeing this coaching staff give minutes and opportunities to old and limited veterans over younger players with more upside (unless they were drafted in the first round). We fans can't see what goes on during practices, and may think some of the younger players are ready when they might not be. Can Isaiah Spiller consistently pick up a blitz, or hit the hole hard on a third and one? If he screws up during a game, maybe we fail to convert a gimme, or Herbert takes a hit that knocks him out of a game, or a season. Michel couldn't consistently catch a pass, but he knew how to run it hard up the gut and to not to get his QB killed if he saw a blitzer coming in.

That said, it's fair to ask if this coaching staff is too conservative in deciding when the younger players are ready. Salyer wasn't the first guy off the bench when Slater went down-- it took a couple of weeks before the coaching staff put him in. Could Fehoko have been brought up off of the practice squad sooner, to help fix the run defense back when it was really struggling? Was Josh Kelly ready sooner to take more of the workload off of Ekeler? Could Ja'Sir Taylor have been playing on defense sooner, rather than (until recent weeks) just on special teams?

These are hard decisions to make, and require access to information we as fans do not have. We all thought Pipkins was a lost cause last year, but the coaching staff was patient with him, kept him off the field to let him work on his technique and self-esteem, and it paid off. Kelly was a liability last year, so he hardly played. This year, he seems like a completely different player, even though he wasn't immediately rewarded with playing time commensurate with his performance. But we went through a long stretch this year when more contributions from younger players may have made a difference, turned a sputtering offense into a more explosive one, or made a laughingstock run defense more respectable sooner.

The ultimate goal is to make the playoffs, and then to make some noise in the playoffs, so it's hard at this time to criticize the results this year. But a lot of our earlier wins were incredibly close, and lucky, against a schedule that included a lot of weak teams. Cleveland's kicker hits the field goal, Denver's punt returner doesn't muff the punt, Arizona knocks down the 2-point conversion at the line, Atlanta doesn't fumble that Ekeler fumble return, we probably lose some or all of those games, and we miss the playoffs.

I had nothing against Sony Michel. He did what he could. Not sure if the coaching staff overused him based upon what he had left in the tank, and what other options we had. But he played hard. And I can envision a situation where we might bring him back in the playoffs, if we advance but suffer some injuries at running back.

Comment

• RTPbolt
            Charger Fan till the end
            • Jun 2013
            • North Carolina
            • Send PM

Michel…he gave it his all but he just didnt have wiggle and dropped some passes iirc. I thought it was a good value signing at the time but clearly without a line opening holes he just wasnt built to create opportunities like Kelly and Ek. I was ready to move on after about 3-4 games…give it to Spiller and Kelly once healthy.

Thank you for your service! But it was probably overdue once we needed slots for defense. Best of luck and I hope we get to send you a ring for your participation!

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Michel is hardly old at 27 years old. He only has 779 carries in 5 seasons so it's not like he is broken down from overuse. He as also very effective last year and saved the Rams RB spot in their SB run. The signing made sense but clearly he did not work out here. People seem to forget our early injuries at RB to Spiller and Kelly. Spiller was not ready to play until late October and has done nothing to warrant playing time. He actually has a worse average per rush (2.8) than Michel did here (2.9). Kelley also missed 5 weeks. Since his return, it's not like Michel was taking any snaps from anyone and was eventually cut.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                SLAM DUNK!
                • Jun 2013
                • East County San Diego
                • Bolt fanatic
                • Send PM

There was a point where he was out touching Kelley and I even dropped Kelley from my dynasty league roster cuz he didn’t even seem to be getting touches over Michel
                migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I agree. I was never mad at Michel I guess at the time the thought he was more ready than Kelley or Spiller. But it didn't work out. Don't hate the guy. Sign him back to the PS - if he is okay with that. Never know who you might need in the playoffs

Comment

• Trumpet Man
                    Dea Spanos my HERO
                    • Dec 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

This is a business and not a romance where players are given a kiss and flowers when released. There is nothing classy about getting fired or sugar coating it. If the player does not produce then get the F off my field and fast. He was a stop gap for depth and nothing more. A piece of meat for our fan satisfaction until the flavor got stale. I don't feel bad at all when a millionaire gets fired so fuck him. Yes I am a dick that way. A.J. Smith school of management and many fans hated A.J. Smith. Could I take the high road and just say thanks ? Sure - but fuck him anyways. Yeah I know ... I am a piece of work.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Trumpet Man View Post

This is a business and not a romance where players are given a kiss and flowers when released. There is nothing classy about getting fired or sugar coating it. If the player does not produce then get the F off my field and fast. He was a stop gap for depth and nothing more. A piece of meat for our fan satisfaction until the flavor got stale. I don't feel bad at all when a millionaire gets fired so fuck him. Yes I am a dick that way. A.J. Smith school of management and many fans hated A.J. Smith. Could I take the high road and just say thanks ? Sure - but fuck him anyways. Yeah I know ... I am a piece of work.
                      I got nothing...

Comment

• Trumpet Man
                        Dea Spanos my HERO
                        • Dec 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I got nothing...
                        Pfft not even a reach around while being fucked on the way out. Business is business.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Trumpet Man View Post

Pfft not even a reach around while being fucked on the way out. Business is business.
                          LOL - I do like the way you describe things Trumpet. Not often I hear about reach arounds on a football forum.

Comment

Working...
                          X