POLL: Will it be Harder to Extend Our 2023 FA's, After the WC Loss?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

POLL: Will it be Harder to Extend Our 2023 FA's, After the WC Loss?

Since the Bolts had such an epic meltdown in their one-and-done playoff disaster vs. the Jags, will that now make it harder to extend our 2023 free agents? I'm guessing a lot of them are thinking, "why stay with the Chargers, if I'm just going to be let down again by crappy coaching?" If the Bolt Brass is truly serious about building a team, including keeping your best FA's and attracting new ones, they need to fire Staley, Lombo and the rest of them (except maybe for Ficken). You've got to think that at least SOME of our FA's will move on to greener pastures, maybe even taking a bit less money to play for a REAL team. Our FA's now are:

1. Tranq--showing pretty decent dividends this year and a key part of our D. Need to extend.

2. Pip--FINALLY has become a serviceable O-lineman. Upgrading our O-line is a priority in offseason, and we really need Pip to anchor that RT spot, and for depth.

3. Van Noy--A key playmaker on our D. Yes, he has an occasional whiff, but I'd rather have him than not.

4. Callahan--decent depth, though we can afford to let him go.

5. Covington--a depth piece, worth keeping at a team-friendly price. But can be upgraded.

6. Daniel--plenty of backups out there. Maybe time for retirement for Chase.

7. Fox--important playmaker on D. Try to keep him if price is reasonable.

8. Adderley--I had high hopes for him, but just hasn't quite panned out. Why do I get the idea someone like the Cheatriots will pick him up on the cheap and coach him up into a solid starter? I think the Bolts let him go.

9. Carter--not just a solid returner, but also has been a solid receiver, one of the few who can stretch the field, IF our new OC dials up the right plays for him. Definitely worth keeping, but may be looking for a big payday.

10. Clapp--only worth keeping if at a team-friendly price and the Bolts can't find anyone else at backup C. I'd rather upgrade at FA or in draft.

11. Rodgers--a JAG. Upgrade, please.

12. DT Davison. Another JAG.

13. Reeder--Decent depth worth keeping if the price is right.

14. Scott--One of the best punters we've had in a while. Make every effort to extend.

15. Stick--He could be backup if Daniel retires. However there are others who would make a decent or better backup. Not a high priority.

Finally, if the Bolts don't make some bold moves to bring in a competent HC, OC and DC, it could cause some of our FUTURE FA's to leave in search of a team that has a REAL playoff shot, and beyond. That would exclude the Bumbling Bolts in current configuration...
    Yes
    23.08%
    No
    69.23%
    Maybe--see my answer
    7.69%
    Last edited by Topcat; 01-16-2023, 08:52 AM.
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

It might not be the worst thing in the world if some of these guys depart, regardless of production. They were part of that 27-0 collapse, after all.

Nobody is untouchable IMO.
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
      It might not be the worst thing in the world if some of these guys depart, regardless of production. They were part of that 27-0 collapse, after all.

Nobody is untouchable IMO.
      I blame the coaching staff more than the players. Some of these FA's are worth keeping, IF we actually hire competent coaches, starting with the HC.

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I blame the coaching staff more than the players. Some of these FA's are worth keeping, IF we actually hire competent coaches, starting with the HC.
        I'm not so sure. Some might be mindfucked beyond repair after a game like that. Not sure if we want/need that.
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

No, they won't have trouble extending any FAs because of what happened at the end of the year.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

I'm not so sure. Some might be mindfucked beyond repair after a game like that. Not sure if we want/need that.
            If players are so damaged that they are beyond repair they should not be in the NFL and I certainly wouldn't want them on our team.

Comment

• Trumpet Man
              Dea Spanos my HERO
              • Dec 2022
              • Send PM

No. $ is the great ERASER

Comment

• UtahBolt
                Did we win?
                • Jun 2013
                • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                • Send PM

Scott, Tranq, Fox, Pip and Callahan are all must re-signs to me.
                I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Admin/Moderator Note: I changed the title of this thread, to make it less biased to the poll, and make it shorter.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Trumpet Man View Post
                    No. $ is the great ERASER
                    So is playing for a coach they like and on a team they like. Players think vastly differently than fans do.

Comment

• Trumpet Man
                      Dea Spanos my HERO
                      • Dec 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

So is playing for a coach they like and on a team they like. Players think vastly differently than fans do.
                      Show me one player who was offered substantially more money but refused and stayed because of a coach or team.

$ talks.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

My wish would be Bosa and James demand trades.

Comment

Working...
                        X