Will Marcus Mariota be our new backup QB?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rambler
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • No Cal
    • Civil Research Attorney
    • Send PM

Will Marcus Mariota be our new backup QB?

Falcons just cut him. Former Oregon QB. Telesco seemed to be interested in the past, but the cost was always too high. Chase didn't show too well in the San Francisco fill-in duty he had, and Stick is a free agent who wasn't active most/all games last season.

I wouldn't expect an immediate signing. Chargers have to work out cap issues, and Marcus may be looking for another possible starting situation. But I've got this as a legit possibility after free agency and the draft.

Lukewarm about it, to be honest, but he can run and keep defenses somewhat honest (not very accurate passer or good decisionmaker though).
  • jubei
    Vagabond Ninja
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Rambler View Post
    Falcons just cut him. Former Oregon QB. Telesco seemed to be interested in the past, but the cost was always too high. Chase didn't show too well in the San Francisco fill-in duty he had, and Stick is a free agent who wasn't active most/all games last season.

I wouldn't expect an immediate signing. Chargers have to work out cap issues, and Marcus may be looking for another possible starting situation. But I've got this as a legit possibility after free agency and the draft.

Lukewarm about it, to be honest, but he can run and keep defenses somewhat honest (not very accurate passer or good decisionmaker though).
    he is a runner and that is about it. if he's the only thing left and absolute vet minimum then take a flyer on him but was never really impressed with him as a QB. if gardner minshew becomes available I'd rather take him.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

I'm for Cooper Rush. Dallas Cowboys quarterback Cooper Rush went 5-0 through the first five starts of his career​.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/...sustain-drives

Cooper Rush: We Want To Sustain Drives

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

The good thing about Wentz or Mariota - not part of the comp pick game

Same with Wagner and JJIII - the safety

Again, comes down to dollar and (cap) sense

But if the dollars are right - agree with Ghost - I like Cooper Rush

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

I'd agree on Rush because of the familiarity with the offense and he'd be cheap.

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
            The good thing about Wentz or Mariota - not part of the comp pick game

Same with Wagner and JJIII - the safety

Again, comes down to dollar and (cap) sense

But if the dollars are right - agree with Ghost - I like Cooper Rush
            Rush's 2022 base salary was $1,035,000.*

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-c...er-rush-22152/

Coop can also be a teacher on the field to Herbert, as Justin masters the offensive playbook.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
              I'm for Cooper Rush. Dallas Cowboys quarterback Cooper Rush went 5-0 through the first five starts of his career​.

I think he would be great to have. But the QB needy teams might make him an offer or opportunity that he can't turn down.

Comment

• beachcomber
                & ramblin' man
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

am a MM homer, and.... outta the names bandied about here.... Wentz is the one that strikes a chord w/me,
                5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• jubei
                  Vagabond Ninja
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

4got about Cooper Rush. Yes that'd be good as long as it makes cents.

Comment

• jubei
                    Vagabond Ninja
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                    am a MM homer, and.... outta the names bandied about here.... Wentz is the one that strikes a chord w/me,
                    How many teams has Wentz not made it on? He was the best thing since sliced bread in Philly then he got ran outa town. In my very small world of tidbits on Wentz he seems to be a diva...or some sort of semi-malcontent wherever he goes. But he was really good his rookie year til the injury. Not sure what the injury did to him.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Both Wentz and Mariota suck but we are talking backups here.

That said I'd still rather have Minshew as a backup over those 2 but for money sake, I'd be ok with Cooper Rush.

Comment

• jubei
                        Vagabond Ninja
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

I think for a backup they just need someone to hold the clipboard well and have nice hair. cuz if Justin is out the team is pretty much screwed...like when Rivers had Haysous-Hair Whitehurst.

In all honesty if Minshew or Rush were reasonably priced and available then I'm quite good with those 2...Cooper maybe getting more of a nod since he's already played in KM's O.

Comment

Working...
                        X