Will Marcus Mariota be our new backup QB?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Marcus has pretty much been a failure in the league as a #1 QB, but he's been decent when he filled in for the starter. Two years ago he had a very good game against our Bolts. He'd be an improvement over what we have now. Plus, he's friends with Herbert.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• CivilBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
      Marcus has pretty much been a failure in the league as a #1 QB, but he's been decent when he filled in for the starter. Two years ago he had a very good game against our Bolts. He'd be an improvement over what we have now. Plus, he's friends with Herbert.
      I agree. It was really painful watching Daniel out there even during garbage time.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

I agree. It was really painful watching Daniel out there even during garbage time.
        If he can be had for a reasonable contract I'd be all for it. As mentioned above the drop off after JH is like the Grand Canyon . . . . no wait - more like the Marianas trench.

Comment

• northerner
          Charger fan since '79
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Mariota's legs can provide a quick spark in an emergency. I think his tools are better suited to a backup / changeup role than a starter. if a team can prepare all week for him, they can figure him out. if you go from Herbert to Mariota within a game, that is a different story.

agree with CivilBolt that Daniel was painful to watch last year - we can't have a backup QB who is incapable of getting a first down.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post
            Mariota's legs can provide a quick spark in an emergency. I think his tools are better suited to a backup / changeup role than a starter. if a team can prepare all week for him, they can figure him out. if you go from Herbert to Mariota within a game, that is a different story.

agree with CivilBolt that Daniel was painful to watch last year - we can't have a backup QB who is incapable of getting a first down.
            Agree that the Chargers need a better back up QB than Daniels and even Stick. Stick was a totally wasted draft pick. He couldn't even beat out Chase Daniels. I am not sure what options will be out there that are pretty cheap - but maybe a guy like Trevor Simien would be better than Daniels. And than have a UDFA or 7th rounder as the third QB - somebody smart and accurate. Might not be athletic or big arm but might be a better third string QB than Stick.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              BetterToday ThanYesterday
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I wanted teh Chargers to sign Rush this past season. Cowboys had to cut him initially and then resign him as part of all the salary stuff. He is far better than Stick.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                I wanted teh Chargers to sign Rush this past season. Cowboys had to cut him initially and then resign him as part of all the salary stuff. He is far better than Stick.

TG
                Phuck me...we had two QBs on our staff who could not beat out the production of a seriously injured player. To say our offensive staff was retarded is beyond the pale here. This was bordering on professional negligence.
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                  Beef Before Gazelles
                  • May 2021
                  • Send PM

I'm curious about where Stick will end up signing, and for how much. I'm less concerned with his being a "wasted draft pick"-- a 7th rounder, right?-- than I am with his having occupied a roster spot that could have gone to a player who'd have actually, you know... HELPED the team.

Supposedly, a major factor in Chase Daniel being chosen as Herb's back up was Chase's ability to help Herb adapt to the new system being brought in.

If that same logic holds true now, then Cooper Rush *should* be the guy Telesco targets to back up Herb in 2023.

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Phuck me...we had two QBs on our staff who could not beat out the production of a seriously injured player. To say our offensive staff was retarded is beyond the pale here. This was bordering on professional negligence.
                    C'mon man,
                    How many teams do you figure have a backup that could have stepped in and done better than Herbert did?
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                      C'mon man,
                      How many teams do you figure have a backup that could have stepped in and done better than Herbert did?
                      The 49ers had their 3rd string QB make our backup QBs look like chopped liver. Total negligence on their part and a check mark for Chargering in general.
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

The 49ers had their 3rd string QB make our backup QBs look like chopped liver. Total negligence on their part and a check mark for Chargering in general.
                        So, you think he'd be better than Herbert?
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

You wouldn’t put him in the game instead of Herbie. Roo is right …

Come On Reaction GIF by GIPHY News
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X