• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I have yet to see an NFL player who says “I am over paid on my current contract compared to my production and the market in the NFL for my position right now”. Only ever hear about the opposite.

It just feels like Ekeler playing out his current contract is going to result in less than 100 percent effort on his part (why get hurt on an underpaid contract when he is the “RB1 Of FantasyFootball”?) And he says there is no timeline for him on this, so is he going to whine about this contract all season in the locker room?.

Ekeler says he is paid half of what he is worth right now. Half. He is getting almost $8M this season. He wants $16M?

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I really like Ekkie...but...with our cap situation next year, we're probably better off letting him go and getting a nice 3rd round comp for him...can't afford to sign him to a bank new deal, and still get nice compensation for him...
      Who is going to give up a 3rd round pick for a RB on top of having to pay him?

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Who is going to give up a 3rd round pick for a RB on top of having to pay him?
        Uh, some RB-needy team...and if Ek doesn't get a deal, maybe he comes back to the Bolts with hat in hand and inks a team-friendly deal...

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Uh, some RB-needy team...and if Ek doesn't get a deal, maybe he comes back to the Bolts with hat in hand and inks a team-friendly deal...
          The interview gave me the impression that Ekler really wants to relentlessly pursue a contract that he feels he is worth, with any team that will pay him, but that he begrudgingly understands the reality of RB contracts in the NFL even though he doesn't feel it is fair. In a worse case scenario (for him and what he seeks) it sounds like he will come back and play out the last year of his contract with the Chargers, and then leave to find what he seeks on the open market.

Comment

• northerner
            Charger fan since '79
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

The interview gave me the impression that Ekler really wants to relentlessly pursue a contract that he feels he is worth, with any team that will pay him, but that he begrudgingly understands the reality of RB contracts in the NFL even though he doesn't feel it is fair. In a worse case scenario (for him and what he seeks) it sounds like he will come back and play out the last year of his contract with the Chargers, and then leave to find what he seeks on the open market.
            it was interesting to hear him speak about the issue. he sounded pretty reasonable to me. His point of emphasis is a long-term deal, not a monster deal per year. it does make sense that he does not want to play on a "lame duck" contract. if he had a 2nd or even 3rd year that were on par with this year's compensation, he might be good. I don't really have a problem with his approach or what he is asking for. we will see....

Comment

• Fleet 1
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Kauai
              • Send PM

Fun player Little McCaffrey and Ekeler type.

Comment

• Budsman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Maybe you should watch the interview for yourself, it’s not long, I guess we all take out of it what we want, but I don’t share lone bolts enthusiasm about the video…seems like this ekeler thing is headed for a bad conclusion, NOBODY, on here wants him back more than me and I’ve been defending him from all the people knocking him lately, but if he’s unwilling to accept the reality of the situation he finds himself in then it’s only going to lead to trouble…these kind of things tend to spill over into the locker room and create trouble…the offseason stuff doesn’t exist in a vaccum and then once camp starts everyone is happy, as much as I’d like to believe that, that’s not reality, if you don’t believe me ask the green bay packers…
                I just listened to it, I agree I’m not as enthusiastic as lone bolt but I’m also not as concerned as you. I see what you mean about the business side of it, he clearly thinks he’s worth more than he is but then he also realizes the market doesn’t really agree. I get where he’s coming from wanting to test the waters if he can’t get the contract he wants from the chargers, I just hope he accepts reality and comes back and competes for a big contract next year, I put my money on him competing hard.

I also don’t blame the chargers for shutting down extension talks if he’s asking for 12 mil a year sort of money. Ekeler also has to be smart enough to know that once Herbert gets paid money is going to be tight and I think that bill is coming due next off-season and the chargers can’t commit that sort of money to him even if they wanted to.

It’s an interesting issue, I don’t think it burns as many bridges as you do because I think the bridges were burnt with the FO with his monetary ask more than anything. The FO putting a block on extension talks tells me they were done with that conversation and this conversation isn’t going to be much worse imho.

Comment

• Budsman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
                  Fun player Little McCaffrey and Ekeler type.

He could be a nice late round pick, he should really move to WR. He could potentially make it as a return man, and a change of pace back but could excel out of the slot using that quickness to make space. Idk just doesn’t fit the 3rd down back package because his size makes him a liability pass blocking.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Ekeler's agent, after signing the contract he is currntly under, is advising Austin this way.

Do not insult our intelligence. The Chargers must always manage the cap with the big picture in mind.

No agency is this stupid ...not Dynamic Sports Group...not anyone. The timing is an effort to compel the Chargers to do something. The market screams the truth.

The Chargers should waive Ekeler and sign KVN, Callahan IMV.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

it was interesting to hear him speak about the issue. he sounded pretty reasonable to me. His point of emphasis is a long-term deal, not a monster deal per year. it does make sense that he does not want to play on a "lame duck" contract. if he had a 2nd or even 3rd year that were on par with this year's compensation, he might be good. I don't really have a problem with his approach or what he is asking for. we will see....
                      Not according to what’s been reported to date, he was offered an extension that added two years to his current deal, it was 7 miilion APY with about 13 million gauranteed…it was basically the deal pipkins just signed with an additional 3 million in guaranteed cash..the deal was designed to give him some guaranteed money and some 8 million up front, it was a 1 mil bump on APY from his current deal and also would’ve dropped his cap hit from 6.25 to 3.5 giving the team almost 3 million in cap relief…at the time it was offered I felt it was a low ball offer, but after seeing the RB market play out, it wouldn’t surprise me if the team has since withdrawn the offer…one thing is 100% clear, if his agent advised him to test the market, he should fire his agent…sounds like lazy and poorly researched work from his representative…you never ask for a trade without proper back channeling, it might be against the rules but who are we kidding all top teams and agents do it…
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

I just listened to it, I agree I’m not as enthusiastic as lone bolt but I’m also not as concerned as you. I see what you mean about the business side of it, he clearly thinks he’s worth more than he is but then he also realizes the market doesn’t really agree. I get where he’s coming from wanting to test the waters if he can’t get the contract he wants from the chargers, I just hope he accepts reality and comes back and competes for a big contract next year, I put my money on him competing hard.

I also don’t blame the chargers for shutting down extension talks if he’s asking for 12 mil a year sort of money. Ekeler also has to be smart enough to know that once Herbert gets paid money is going to be tight and I think that bill is coming due next off-season and the chargers can’t commit that sort of money to him even if they wanted to.

It’s an interesting issue, I don’t think it burns as many bridges as you do because I think the bridges were burnt with the FO with his monetary ask more than anything. The FO putting a block on extension talks tells me they were done with that conversation and this conversation isn’t going to be much worse imho.
                        Like I said, we all get out it what we we want…I’m glad you fall somewhere in the middle…It gives me hope that this doesn’t become another tillery situation…
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          BetterToday ThanYesterday
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

I like Ekeler. Always will. He seems a smart man and a good businessman. If so, hopefully the smart man and good business man sees the reality of the situation and takes his nearly $8M for this year and plays his heart out (as he always has). He feels he is underpaid for his production. The data indicates he is OVERPAID based upon the deals younger FA running backs are signing this off season. If he is basing in on TD production, look at what the NFL rushing TD leader just got in FA. $3M. So in a sense he is getting MORE than he should and needs to look at it that way. I am not saying it is fair; saying it is reality.

TG
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X