Welcome WR Derius Davis, TCU (Round 4, #125)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
    Been watching all games and film on these 2 new WRs and i have to admit...i really like our rookie QB. lol Reminds me of Brees a little bit. I just cant help but feel he will be much better than Stick.

Short Yardage QB that we can bring in on 3rd and 1 and goal line gadget plays is what comes to my mind as well as backup QB. I never want to be in a position where we can't give Herbert a game off ever ever again. I was disturbed by that.
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Been watching all games and film on these 2 new WRs and i have to admit...i really like our rookie QB. lol Reminds me of Brees a little bit. I just cant help but feel he will be much better than Stick.

Me too. I think claims of his weak arm are exaggerated.
      perhaps we're just spoiled by Herbert's unearthly arm.
      but Max has plenty of velocity on short to intermediate.
      He has a few under thrown balls on film but I'm not sure it's an arm-power issue.
      I'm more concerned about some of the decisions he makes.
      Overall very coachable flaws and projects as a great backup and maybe even starter for someone one day.
      2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

He has a few under thrown balls on film but I'm not sure it's an arm-power issue.
        Overall very coachable flaws and projects as a great backup and maybe even starter for someone one day.
        Max?!? Yeah, well... We'll see.

I like his mobility and athleticism. But it TOTALLY looks to me like he just plain doesn't have the NFL arm strength you look for.

Better than Trent Dilfer, however. lol

Comment

• Fleet 1
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Kauai
          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Short Yardage QB that we can bring in on 3rd and 1 and goal line gadget plays is what comes to my mind as well as backup QB. I never want to be in a position where we can't give Herbert a game off ever ever again. I was disturbed by that.
          I think hes a more polished passer than Stick. Stick was all that mobility. And Duggan has a lot of that. He is a dual threat QB who can run.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Max?!? Yeah, well... We'll see.

I like his mobility and athleticism. But it TOTALLY looks to me like he just plain doesn't have the NFL arm strength you look for.

Better than Trent Dilfer, however. lol
            What about compared to Brock Purdy?
            Heineke?

I just don't see anything obvious that tells me his arm is what stops him.

we'll see for sure. Looking forward to preseason.
            2024: Far From Over

Comment

• Duck of Death
              Social Piranha
              • May 2022
              • Flyover, USA
              • Send PM

So, Marcus over at That Franchise Guy puts out some really good content - definitely one of the guys whose opinions I may steal from time to time (admit it, we all do this). While he LOVES the Chargers’ draft class (gives them an A-), he is very critical of the DD selection, calling him a massive reach. Now I haven’t been able to verify this, but he claims that DD has fumbled 5 career punts. If true, that is a major issue that the kid needs to address PRONTO, if he ever wants to see the field. I also loved Charlie Jones, whom he mentions as well. In any case, DD’s speed and return ability are undeniable - may just have to steal some of Lester Hayes’ old jar of stickum.

Comment

• UtahBolt
                Did we win?
                • Jun 2013
                • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                • Send PM

I ask in all seriousness, did Davis not play much last season? Most of these highlights look like they are from 2021? The only reason I can tell that is look at all of TCU's records on the scoreboard, none of them reflect last season's crazy run?
                I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Kellen Moore will use whatever personnel he thinks will match up best against certain defenses... week to week.
                  Weaker secondaries... expect to see 4 WR sets.
                  Weaker run defenses... expect to see 21 personnel. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised to see Matlock in @TE sometimes.
                  Derius Davis will be active every single game (as KR/PR). Why the hell wouldn't Kellen Moore use him in formations...?
                  I'd expect to see Guyton inactive a lot more than DD.
                  Stop thinking like Lombardi and start thinking like Moore.
                  Who are the 4 receivers? I got Allen, MW, Guyton, Palmer, Davis. Which one sits?

On weak run defenses you will not see Davis.

Davis is our return guy. Beyond that we have to see how he fits in. I'm saying very limited role on offense.
                  His big value to us is in the return game, both PR, and KR. If he's going to shine that's where it will be.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                    Beef Before Gazelles
                    • May 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Who are the 4 receivers? I got Allen, MW, Guyton, Palmer, Davis. Which one sits?

On weak run defenses you will not see Davis.

Davis is our return guy. Beyond that we have to see how he fits in. I'm saying very limited role on offense.
                    His big value to us is in the return game, both PR, and KR. If he's going to shine that's where it will be.
                    They'll get Davis reps in practice to get a feel for how else he *might* be able to contribute beyond returning kicks.

In other words, the coaches will see a whole hell of a lot more than *we* will, and will strategize accordingly.

Think about it-- if he's blowing past Charger defenders in practice, they'll definitely give him opportunities during games.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Pete should just give us next year's #2 for him now.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

They'll get Davis reps in practice to get a feel for how else he *might* be able to contribute beyond returning kicks.

In other words, the coaches will see a whole hell of a lot more than *we* will, and will strategize accordingly.

Think about it-- if he's blowing past Charger defenders in practice, they'll definitely give him opportunities during games.
                        well, we don't have any defenders that can keep up with his speed, there may not be 10 guys in the entire league that can. Coaches will be looking more for can he run crisp tree branches as designed, does he get off the LOS without being mauled by DBs, does he adjust to the ball in flight and catch it, you know - WR-ish type attributes. He could run crossing routes from the slot, its a jet sweep that starts 7 yards downfield - lets see a S or LB try to track him across the field lol. but can he get off the LOS vs bigger DBs without getting all tangled up and thrown off timing?

Oh and lets not get too overboard with trick wildduggan plays at the goal line.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post

I ask in all seriousness, did Davis not play much last season? Most of these highlights look like they are from 2021? The only reason I can tell that is look at all of TCU's records on the scoreboard, none of them reflect last season's crazy run?
                          He played WR in 14 games and had 42 catches with 5 TDs and ran 3 times with a rushing TD.
                          Last edited by richpjr; 05-03-2023, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X