• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
    You guys are saying mean things about my family, and you know not all of them have escaped.
    Sorry . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post
      Really don't see any reaches or steals. Could have gone a bit differently, that's about it. It was for the most part a need filled draft.
      IMO, Darius Davis (4th round) was a slight reach. He wasn't projected to go as early as the Chargers took him (reach), but the team needed a return man, and got one. (need met).

What matters is whether Davis works out as a return man, not where he was drafted. He'd be a wasted draft pick if he bombed, no matter where he was selected. Hopefully, he'll become the Jerry Rice of return men, and we'll marvel about what a steal he was as a 4th round pick.

This is where scouts need to be accurate in assessing the degree to which a player's talent will translate to the NFL.

We're being told that Quentin Johnston was a slight steal-- slotted as the draft's 15th overall player, and selected at #21.

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

IMO, Darius Davis (4th round) was a slight reach. He wasn't projected to go as early as the Chargers took him (reach), but the team needed a return man, and got one. (need met).

What matters is whether Davis works out as a return man, not where he was drafted. He'd be a wasted draft pick if he bombed, no matter where he was selected. Hopefully, he'll become the Jerry Rice of return men, and we'll marvel about what a steal he was as a 4th round pick.

This is where scouts need to be accurate in assessing the degree to which a player's talent will translate to the NFL.

We're being told that Quentin Johnston was a slight steal-- slotted as the draft's 15th overall player, and selected at #21.
        After round 3 all bets are off. So I'm not saying he was a reach or a steal. In my opinion they could have gotten him later in the draft.
        For me a reach is a guy you take in round 3 when he's really a 5th or 6th rounder. We've done that before, just not this year.

It's really really difficult to evaluate where a player should be taken after around round 3. A look around the league would show GMs all over
        the place. But mistakes are made in rounds 1-3, sometime big ones. This wasn't the case.

Just hope for the best. This guy is a ST guy, nothing more than that. If he excels then fine.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Just hope for the best. This guy is a ST guy, nothing more than that. If he excels then fine.
          No doubt in my mind that Davis will be given the same opportunities that D'Andre Carter was.

If he's initially given, like, four snaps per game on offense, but does well on those snaps, it figures he'll be given MORE snaps. Like with most other players, if he can't handle what he's given, he won't be given more. If he handles it well? There would be no reason *not* to give him more snaps, and help one of the starters conserve some juice for late in the game.

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

No doubt in my mind that Davis will be given the same opportunities that D'Andre Carter was.

If he's initially given, like, four snaps per game on offense, but does well on those snaps, it figures he'll be given MORE snaps. Like with most other players, if he can't handle what he's given, he won't be given more. If he handles it well? There would be no reason *not* to give him more snaps, and help one of the starters conserve some juice for late in the game.
            Ok with that, but remember he weighs 165lbs. I don't see him beating out Guyton or Palmer. But getting some snaps no problem.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

Ok with that, but remember he weighs 165lbs. I don't see him beating out Guyton or Palmer. But getting some snaps no problem.
              Remember that although he's small-- 165 pounds-- he can bench press 375 pounds. He's REALLY strong, which absolutely is an asset to his survival on the field.

Remember Dante Hall of the Chiefs? Like Davis, he was teensy, but it didn't stop him from producing on either special teams or offense.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2022
                • Send PM

Remember that although he's small-- 165 pounds-- he can bench press 375 pounds. He's REALLY strong, which absolutely is an asset to his survival on the field.

Remember Dante Hall of the Chiefs? Like Davis, he was teensy, but it didn't stop him from producing on either special teams or offense.
                He maybe very strong, but he's slight framed. Not sure he can take an NFL pounding. No doubt he can dish it out, but can he take it?

Comment

• Fleet 1
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kauai
                  • Send PM

Agree that McFadden could be a total steal. Feels exactly like a Salyer pick to me. Extensive starting exp at OT for a huge college program is a good start for gems like this.

Sorry if this review is already posted somewhere. Hard for me to follow everything here now that we are this active.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

The fact that we could find out that a guy we think is a reach is really a steal says all anyone should ever need to know about the concept of reach. Take your time, internalize the entire sentence … let it slowly evolve into understanding.

I doubt we learn much about McFadden only because back OGs might never play a season snap outside of ST. I hope he is good and develops - if he could handle Center that would be epic.

I think Matlock does get a chance to get reps as IDL rotation is a very nice thing to do. The only reason coaches don’t rotate some players in is because they suck. They are emergency bodies that coach hopes to never play
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Probably not. We didnt have QJ and one or both of KA and Mdub were hurt almost every game. I do want to see him GO DEEP and see if DCs want to try and bet that one safety will stick with him. Bring out the 10 formations!
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                      X