• richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Dunlap restructures

I like it:

Chargers restructure King Dunlap's contract
    Salary reduced by $1.2 million, but left tackle can earn it back through playing time

By Michael Gehlken | 11:13 a.m. March 14, 2016

King Dunlap was scheduled to have his $4.5 million salary become fully guaranteed if on the Chargers' roster last Friday.

That was before his deal was restructured.

His contract was reworked last Wednesday, the data now processed, to show a salary decrease for this year, sources said Monday morning. His salary dropped from $4.5 to $3.3 million fully guaranteed following a 2015 campaign in which Dunlap finished two of the seven games he started . A concussion cost the left tackle three weeks, and a high-ankle sprain kept him inactive six of the final eight.

That money is not forever lost.

Dunlap, 30, can recoup all $1.2 million with better health.

He will receive $400,000 if he plays 50 percent of the Chargers' offensive snaps in 2016, another $400,000 if he plays 65 percent and the final $400,000 if he reaches the 80 percent threshold. He played all 16 games in 2014, taking 99.2 percent of the team's offensive snaps. Last season, he played 27 percent.

Along with those playing time incentives, Dunlap can earn another $500,000 in roster bonuses if he plays every regular-season game this year. That bonus, $31,250 for every week in which he's active, was part of his original four-year, $28 million contract he signed in 2015.

So in all, Dunlap can earned an extra $1.7 million and $5 million total in 2016, injury and performance permitting. An extra $50,000 also is available if voted to the Pro Bowl.

San Diego would like nothing more than for Dunlap to earn that $1.7 million, looking for better health across its offensive line. Largely due to injuries, the Chargers were forced to use 24 unique combinations last season. Five different Chargers played left tackle, six played left guard, three were used at center, five were at right guard and four players worked at right tackle.

As of today, from left to right, Dunlap, Orlando Franklin, Chris Watt, D.J. Fluker and Joe Barksdale project as the team's starting line for 2016.

They started Week 1 but never played a full game together.

The Chargers released running back Donald Brown, linebacker Donald Butler and linebacker Kavell Conner this month in part due to financial reasons. Dunlap was among the other players whose situation was one to monitor, given his salary was scheduled to become fully guaranteed. What, if anything, comes of punter Mike Scifres also is worth tracking.

Scifres, 35, is due a $3,562,500 salary in 2016.

That price is significantly higher than that of Kasey Redfern at $450,000. Scifres is coming off his least productive season. But to his credit, that was partly related to injury, and his play improved in the final weeks of the year. He and tight end Antonio Gates are the longest-tenured active Chargers, entering what would be their 14th season.
  • ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

?Why would he do that/

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Thanks for the help, King. I think he probably got a signing bonus check for the decrease in pay, and it incentivizes him to play more to get more.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
        ?Why would he do that/
        Because it's greater than his value on the open market.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • SoDak
          • Technology Director
          • Send PM

I'd still draft Tunsil or Stanley.

I like Dunlap when he can play. But, that's not often. And he's about a concussion away from being done forever.
          "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I don't think they would have cut him, but maybe they gave him/his agent a courtesy call to imply that.

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
              I don't think they would have cut him, but maybe they gave him/his agent a courtesy call to imply that.
              they could have also mentioned there were a couple LTs in the draft they would seriously consider if available when they picked.
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                I believe they could have threatened to let him go. Tunsil or Stanley will be available in the draft to make good on the threat.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• SDFan
                  Woober Goober
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Dolores, CO
                  • Retired
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  I like it:
                  "As of today, from left to right, Dunlap, Orlando Franklin, Chris Watt, D.J. Fluker and Joe Barksdale project as the team's starting line for 2016."

I sure hope the club isn't thinking this way. As of today, what I've seen of Watt tells me he's less on the trajectory of Hardwick, and more like that of Troutman.
                  Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• KNSD
                    Registered Charger Hater
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Chris Watt is on a lower trajectory than Porkchops!
                    Prediction:
                    Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                    Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                    Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Chargers could have also gone the FA route with Okung (Seattle), Smith (Cincy), and Beachum (Pittsburgh) available.

Comment

• Coachmarkos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • SoDak
                        • Technology Director
                        • Send PM

I'm all for giving Watt a break, since he hasn't played healthy at Center.

Got thrown in there a bit at the end of his rookie year, in a position he hadn't really played before. And got injured week one, and never really recovered last season.

By all signs, he stayed healthy in college. I'm hoping he is much improved.

And I would still draft a Left tackle. Dunlap could be done in week one.
                        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

Working...
                        X