• Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Ladarius Green

Ladarius Green: 'Scoring touchdowns is a confidence booster'

By Sian Cowper, Reporter Filed: Thursday, August 22, 2013 at 11:55 UK Last Updated: Thursday, August 22, 2013 at 14:27 UK

Ladarius Green has said that scoring two touchdowns so far this pre-season has boosted his confidence.

The tight end has found the end zone in the San Diego Chargers' pre-season games against the Seattle Seahawks and Chicago Bears.

In his blog for the team's website, the 23-year-old said: "It feels really good to have scored two touchdowns so far this pre-season. It was important for me because it's a confidence booster. When you score you feel like you're doing stuff right.

"I'm learning a lot more and feeling more comfortable running routes. And I'm learning a ton from Antonio Gates so you can't go wrong there. The things I worked on most in the off-season were my blocking and my route running because they were the biggest issues last year.

"It's important for me to play a role in the offense this year because I just want to make an impact. I want to help the team anyway I can. Even if that means not on offense but on special teams, I want to help the team win."

Green has recorded 107 receiving yards from seven receptions this summer.
    Go Rivers!
  • oneinchpunch
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Mooole moley moley moooole
    Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

I would love to see him develop some so we can mix Phillips, Gates and Green into a lot of 2 TE formations, and do a little NE patriots 2 TE action of people.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

hard to really tell how hes getting so open in games (coverage breakdown or great route running?) but in practice he's been able to get open against everyone and even if he's covered he can make difficult catches.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
          Grammar Police
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

If you run at Watt and throw short passes to Green on Watt's side before he can presure Rivers he will have a good deal of frustration being picked on. The key is to put him in a no win situation. Abandon the rush to try and block the pass and he will get worn down being run at all day by Fluker and Clary. Then in the 4th open up the passing game a little more and get some big chunks.
          Go Rivers!

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

what is watts reputation against the run?

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Don't get me wrong, he is a good run defender. He can stand in at the point of attack, and he can run plays down from the backside. He is quick enough to penetrate, and strong enough to just stand in toe to toe with most run blockers.

It's just that he is a GREAT pass defender. Since Fluker is a really good run blocker, the differential thing is really a lot better if you go for the run, rather then try and match up vs the pass. We will obviously have to throw, but I think Stinky has is right. Wear him down, mix in some short passes and then once his legs turn to jello, we have a chance to set up some longer throws. We just don't have a good chance if he is fresh. A lot of Watts big plays come early, so we should do our best to neutralize that threat, or at least do the best we can.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                SLAM DUNK!
                • Jun 2013
                • East County San Diego
                • Bolt fanatic
                • Send PM

I am predicting 35 catches for 500 yards and 3TD's from this guy this year. Probably capable of more if Gates misses any time.
                migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Beerman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Eastlake
                  • Send PM

Watts awesome against the run and pass. Have to limit his backfield penetration.

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

Catching up with Chargers sophomore tight end Ladarius Green:

• Green played fast for Louisiana-Lafayette (149 catches for 2,201 yards and 22 TDs) and ran fast for NFL scouts (4.39, 40). It figured that with Antonio Gates drawing heavy coverage, Green would go against slower defenders and run by them -- but only if the rookie could earn the playing time.

• Green appeared in only three games. For the season he had 56 yards receiving off four catches. Thirty-one yards came when Eddie Royal (illegally) decked a Titans defender near Green on a crossing pattern.

• Measured at 6-foot-6 and 239 pounds at the NFL combine, Green was a non-factor as a blocker last year. Even when the Chargers fell out of playoff contention, Norv Turner didn't seem to trust him.

• "I just know I was undersized a lot last year," Green said. "And if I got out there I don’t know what would have happened trying to block. So that was my main focus this offseason, picking up weight."

• Green is no longer a pure finesse player. Nine pounds heavier than last preseason, he was an improved blocker in training camp (winning our MVP honors) and in the four exhibitions. A week ago against the 49ers he was first downfield on the opening kickoff and slammed into two blockers. It's rare to see a 6-6 wedge-buster, and Green laughed at mention of it. "Just trying to make a play for the team," he said. "I got hit pretty hard."

• Laughing and shaking his head, he said he hasn't mastered any of Gates' subtle route-running tricks. But he said he "always" observes the eight-time Pro Bowler.

Gates said of Green: "He has the ability to be one of the best players in this league."

• Against the 49ers, four of the offense's first five plays were Charlie Whitehurst passes to Green, who totaled 40 yards off the four receptions. "I had no clue that was going to happen," Green said. Oddly, he figured Gates being held out helped him. "He always gets double- or triple-teamed. (The 49ers) realized it was me and just left a safety on top, I think,'' he said.

• At Louisiana-Lafayette's practices he often ran pass routes against a cornerback. In games, he drew safeties. For his career, he averaged 14.8 yards per catch. Niners backup safety Craig Dahl, who started 16 games for the Rams last year, looked slow running against Green.

• He failed in blitz protection once against the 49ers. Flanking Whitehurst at a split-back spot, he hesitated while trying to figure out which of two blitzers to pick up. The remedy: study more film, and consult with the coaches, Philip Rivers and Whitehurst.

• Green is faster than young Broncos tight end Julius Thomas, who in Thursday night's NFL season opener had a breakout performance with two touchdowns. But Thomas is more powerful, two years older, one year more experienced at NFL football and part of an offense that's more talented and more grooved than San Diego's. Both players were taken in the fourth round. Thomas, who played basketball for Portland State, went 129th in 2011. A.J. Smith took Green 110th in 2012.

• Green said he's a "lot more" capable now than he was last September. "But I’m still nervous about this season," said the 23-year-old. "I’m still trying to prove myself."
                    My adoptive Charger this season - Greenie got a feature today. He could really bring some excitement to this offense. I really hope Wiz finds a way to get him on the field early and often.

Comment

• BoltBacker
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Las Vegas, NV
                      • Send PM

It will be a shame if they don't find a way to use him. Norv would not. Hopefully we don't see the same from the new regime. Keep Gates fresh and use Ladarius to do that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Den60
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I liked him when he pretty much beat the Aztecs single handed in a bowl game.

Comment

Working...
                        X