Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

RBs - Chargers haven't had +1000 yd rusher since 2017

The last Chargers RB to gain +1,000 yds was six seasons ago - Melvin Gordon in 2017, with 1105 yds on 284 carries. But his ypc was only 3.9. (Gordon has not eclipsed 1,000 yds in a season since, though he came close in his first Broncos season in 2020 with 986.)

Who will be the next Chargers' RB to gain 1,000 or more yards on the ground? Can Ekeler do it this season? He's gained in the low 900s the past two seasons, but he's never cracked 1,000 yds. Will Isaiah Spiller have a breakout season and accomplish it this year?

Ekeler gained 915 yds on 204 carries last season in 17 games. He broke a couple of long runs, including that 72 yard sprint for a TD in Cleveland. Prior to that his longest career run was 41 yds. In 2021 in 16 games he had 206 carries for 911 yds. Ekeler's ypc in 2021/2022 was 4.4/4.5 - that is pretty respectable.

Ryan Mathews had 1,255 yds rushing in 2013 - a playoff year - on 285 carries/4.4 ypc. He had 1,091 yds in 2011 on 222 carries/4.9 ypc.

LT topped 1,000 yds rushing for eight consecutive seasons, from 2001-08. Since LT, the Chargers have had an RB top 1,000 yds only three times. In four of the seasons LT topped 1,000 yards he also average +4.5 ypc. Only once since LT last did it in 2007 has a Chargers RB accomplished this - Mathews in 2011.

Will a Chargers RB gain +1,000 yds rushing this season?
  • BayAreaBoltz
    Chargers Hall of Fame
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

For comparison, the Chiefs also haven't had a 1000+ yard rusher since 2017 (Hunt).

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post
      For comparison, the Chiefs also haven't had a 1000+ yard rusher since 2017 (Hunt).
      Name the 1000 + rushers on New England during their 20 year dynasty.

Not even the great Lawrence Maroney.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Send PM

Good points. Correct me if I am wrong, but the last Super Bowl winner with a +1,000 yd rusher was the 2014 Seattle Seahawks with Marshawn Lunch?

I get it, RBs and running games aren't that important in the modern NFL. But for a team that for the better part of a decade was defined by its run game and MVP RB, it just made for an interesting contrast and something to discuss while we wait for TC to open.

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

What happens if you have 3 rb's with 800 yards each for a single season? I think I would take that over one rb with 1100 yards. LOL!
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• SuperCharged
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Utah
            • Midnight Toker
            • Send PM

It's hard to spread the ball around especially with a dynamic QB. Like the Patriots in their run. Like KC. I honestly consider running a 2nd option. When you have a generational talent like Herbert, running the ball will and should take a backseat to the passing game. I don't care if he throws it 60 time a game TBH.

I would love to see 2 1000 yard receivers this year. I also would love to see Herbert scramble more. He is so good on the run it should be used as a weapon. Hell he broke the Chargers QB rushing record his rookie season if I remember correct. LOL that says a lot.
            Last edited by SuperCharged; 06-30-2023, 12:59 PM.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
              Chargers Hall of Fame
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
              Good points. Correct me if I am wrong, but the last Super Bowl winner with a +1,000 yd rusher was the 2014 Seattle Seahawks with Marshawn Lunch?

I get it, RBs and running games aren't that important in the modern NFL. But for a team that for the better part of a decade was defined by its run game and MVP RB, it just made for an interesting contrast and something to discuss while we wait for TC to open.
              It's a fun topic, no doubt. I was just surprised by seeing KC dominate with no real running game. Gives me hope for our Chargers.

On a related note, I just want a rushing attack that WILL consistently gain that 1 yard on 3rd or 4th and one. We never seem to have that in our arsenal.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Utah
                • Midnight Toker
                • Send PM

It's just sickening that the Chef's have won the division 7 years in a row.

Comment

• gzubeck
                  Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Tucson, AZ
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
                  I hear we are the only team in the division that gives mahomes nightmares. I don't think he will fear the donkos and raiders for a few more years...
                  Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post
                    Try working next to a KC fan every day for the last 2 years....
                    : (
                    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Velo
                      Ride!
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Everywhere
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I hear we are the only team in the division that gives mahomes nightmares. I don't think he will fear the donkos and raiders for a few more years...
                      Any Chiefs fan who is honest will tell you the team that worries them the most is the Chargers. The Chargers have the best QB in the division outside of PH and they know how to play the Chiefs well. The Chiefs have gotten the lucky bounces the past two seasons, but that can't last. The Chargers are improving and the Chiefs and their fans know they can't keep depending on luck to win those close games against the Chargers.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Any Chiefs fan who is honest will tell you the team that worries them the most is the Chargers. The Chargers have the best QB in the division outside of PH and they know how to play the Chiefs well. The Chiefs have gotten the lucky bounces the past two seasons, but that can't last. The Chargers are improving and the Chiefs and their fans know they can't keep depending on luck to win those close games against the Chargers.
                        Yeah but we implode ourselves. Im sure they aren't too worried about us until we start beating them more often.

Comment

Working...
                        X