• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltsfan70
    East Coast Chargers Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • PA transplant living in S. Carolina
    • Send PM

The more a read the more I like the Pick was not my first choice but I am glad he is here.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by X-man View Post
      Curious to see how some draft pundits were so fixated on the Chargers o-line while totally overloking the run defense last year. Some of these same pundits seemingly saw similar defenses like Dallas (another Wade Phillips influenced defense), Jacksonville & Baltimore (two more hybrid defenses) as better fits for a Joey Bosa pick. This article needs a little editing but does a good job of explaining why Joey Bosa very much has the potential to thrive in John Paganos hybrid defense.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-s...fense#comments
      Thanks for posting. This is really a good piece on Bosa's fit in SD. The film analysis is quite good IMO. You can clearly see what his hands do for him vs the run and pass. Even if he doesn't have the mass that some might like, he has the technique and quickness (get off + getting hands in position) to succeed against bigger players. He knows what he is doing. You can tell he's bright and well-coached. You also aren't born with some of those skills. You have to be a worker to have them come second nature like they are for JB. The scheme thing doesn't worry me at all. All this OLB talk just shows the lack of homework/awareness. This guy is a football player. He's a bright, quick technician with the strength needed to get blockers moving. He'll put on some weight and get more upper body strength in SD.

Not worried about this guy at all. We drafted a good one.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

From the comments:

Don't worry. Alot of Chargers fans were blasting the pick because they didn't know the type of defense they run.
        You know who you are.

:lol2:

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
          From the comments:

You know who you are.

:lol2:
          over at Chargers.com.....9th post in after Bosa is drafted:

I wanted Buckner out of the top 5. Not sure how I feel about Bosa considering that his fit is more 43 DE than 34 OLB. But I suppose they expect him to be a 34 DE now? Interesting....
          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
            No Sir, I Dont Like It
            • Jun 2013
            • Section 457
            • Migrant Film Worker
            • Send PM

Time to reach this NFL puberties
            Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
            sigpic

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Time to cook dis pork chops.

Comment

• Interesting Chargers connection to John Bosa (Joey's dad):

For you old guys:

Started six of first seven Dolphins games in 1988 and collected two sacks and 17 tackles... Suffered knee injury against San Diego on October 19 and was on injured reserve for rest of season...Sixteenth pick of 1987 NFL draft
                after sensational senior season (125 tackles, 11 sacks) at Boston College...As rookie, started all 12 non-strike games at right end and led Dolphins defensive linemen with 50 tackles (42 solo)...Also had three sacks, recovered two fumbles,
                and blocked a field goal attempt...Started his first game - preseason contest against Buffalo - only three days after signing his contract...Has done television commercials in South Florida for pizza chain and car dealership.
                We play Miami week 10 No karma!!!

Here's another card:

John, who has excellent speed and plays the run well, is one of the Dolphins' bright young defenders. As a rookie in '87, he led all Dolphins linemen in tackles with 50, registered 3.0 sacks, recovered two fumbles and blocked a field goal
                attempt. His first two sacks came in one game against the Jets. For his fine play, John was picked for the NFL All-Rookie team. He had a terrific year at BC as a senior in '86 when he had 125 tackles, 11.0 sacks and five forced fumbles.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Some were surprised that the San Diego Chargers spent the third overall pick on Joey Bosa in this year's draft, but they couldn't have found a more impactful
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Bosa dropped in some people eyes because they wanted to see him run some elite 40 time or ungodly number or reps in the bench press or something that would let them point to a measurable and then it explains why he is a good player. The problem is that being a good football player is not about any one physical or mental trait. It is about how you put the package together along with technique and learning the mental game.

Bosa was not the classic 1st player in the draft, an elite athlete who is also a great player. He is just a great player, and that is where people seem to have the problem. I do think it is worth noting that a lot of what makes Bosa an elite college player is the type of skills that it takes to be a successful DL in the NFL. Discipline, leverage, hand use, good first step, and good speed. If you look at technique and how he plays, he looks like an NFL DL coming out of college.

The thing I find funniest about this year is the way the analytics crowd has been kinda down on him. They have been crying that they want to see NFL teams who use statistical measures to project players. Analytics in baseball is about finding stats and using them as proxies for how a player will perform in the future. Bosa has that kind of stats. His sacks were down as a senior, but he was still among the leaders in college football in pressures and tackles behind the line, despite more game planning and scheme against him to minimize him. So, it is ironic that analytics types want a poster boy, and Bosa could be it, but the poeple in football who like the idea of analytics aren't using it with the idea of identifying the guys who will be the best players, they are doing it to reinfoce their own ideas of what football should be. That is exactly the opposite approach that the A's took when they brought Sabermetrics to MLB.

I think the guy that is closest to Bosa in recent NFL memory is Justin Smith of the Bengals and 49ers. He started off as a little bit slower, not as technically sound player who was drafted high by Cinci. He never put up the great sack numbers, but he was an elite DL because he was impossible to run against, and when he slid down inside on passing downs, he was able to push the pocket and demand double teams. Bosa is a fair bit faster and quicker than Smith, but will probably develop along the same lines physically. He also has a some Jack Youngblood (HOF DE Rams), in that he plays with great levereage and hand use to get under and control the OL pads, so that his lack of size is less important.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
                      No Sir, I Dont Like It
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Section 457
                      • Migrant Film Worker
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Bosa dropped in some people eyes because they wanted to see him run some elite 40 time or ungodly number or reps in the bench press or something that would let them point to a measurable and then it explains why he is a good player. The problem is that being a good football player is not about any one physical or mental trait. It is about how you put the package together along with technique and learning the mental game.

Bosa was not the classic 1st player in the draft, an elite athlete who is also a great player. He is just a great player, and that is where people seem to have the problem. I do think it is worth noting that a lot of what makes Bosa an elite college player is the type of skills that it takes to be a successful DL in the NFL. Discipline, leverage, hand use, good first step, and good speed. If you look at technique and how he plays, he looks like an NFL DL coming out of college.

The thing I find funniest about this year is the way the analytics crowd has been kinda down on him. They have been crying that they want to see NFL teams who use statistical measures to project players. Analytics in baseball is about finding stats and using them as proxies for how a player will perform in the future. Bosa has that kind of stats. His sacks were down as a senior, but he was still among the leaders in college football in pressures and tackles behind the line, despite more game planning and scheme against him to minimize him. So, it is ironic that analytics types want a poster boy, and Bosa could be it, but the poeple in football who like the idea of analytics aren't using it with the idea of identifying the guys who will be the best players, they are doing it to reinfoce their own ideas of what football should be. That is exactly the opposite approach that the A's took when they brought Sabermetrics to MLB.

I think the guy that is closest to Bosa in recent NFL memory is Justin Smith of the Bengals and 49ers. He started off as a little bit slower, not as technically sound player who was drafted high by Cinci. He never put up the great sack numbers, but he was an elite DL because he was impossible to run against, and when he slid down inside on passing downs, he was able to push the pocket and demand double teams. Bosa is a fair bit faster and quicker than Smith, but will probably develop along the same lines physically. He also has a some Jack Youngblood (HOF DE Rams), in that he plays with great levereage and hand use to get under and control the OL pads, so that his lack of size is less important.
                      I would take a player with those comps any day.
                      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Chargers' defensive vets talk Bosa:

Comment

• Heatmiser
                          BetterToday ThanYesterday
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Youngblood is a great comparison. Watching Bosa play in college he looks very much like Youngblood did with the Rams.
                          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

Working...
                          X