• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Ohio State DE Joey Bosa is coming to San Diego, where he should help fill the Chargers' most glaring need after being drafted No. 3 overall.

SAN DIEGO -- With their pick of the first player other than a quarterback in this year’s NFL draft, the San Diego Chargers selected Ohio State product Joey Bosa with the No. 3 overall pick. It’s the first time the franchise selected a defensive lineman in the first round since taking Corey Liuget No. 18 overall in the 2011 draft. However, with the Chargers employing a 3-4 alignment, Bosa could be making a move to outside linebacker.

My take: Bosa fills San Diego’s most glaring need, which is help along the defensive line. Bosa finished with 26 career sacks and was a stout run defender for the Buckeyes. He’ll combine with fellow defensive end Corey Liuget and nose tackle Brandon Mebane to create a formidable defensive front for the Chargers. “San Diego is going to be awesome,” Bosa said after being selected. “I can’t wait to play for the Chargers, and I’m going to give them everything I have.”

Run defense should improve: The Chargers allowed 4.8 yards per carry last year, second worst in the NFL. The Chargers allowed 2,000 rushing yards for the first time since 2003 last season, and gave up at least 17 rushing touchdowns for the first time since 1985, according to ESPN Stats & Information research. Bosa’s a stout run defender, and along with the addition of Mebane, San Diego’s defensive line should be much better at keeping linebackers Manti Te’o and Denzel Perryman clean, allowing them to scrape to the football.

Curb appeal: Bosa a tremendous talent. He finished with more tackles for loss (51) than any player in the nation over the past three years. But Bosa also gives San Diego a marketable personality in a year where they are trying to get a stadium built here.

What’s next: The Chargers have two picks in Day 2 of the draft, with the No. 35 pick in the second round and the No. 66 overall pick in the third round. San Diego should use those selections to help fill deficiencies at offensive line, safety and tight end. Last year, the Chargers snagged perhaps the team’s best player from the 2015 draft in the second round in Perryman.

Comment

• X-man
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by alex View Post
      Maybe something in between. That would be excellent.
      I didn't think Ramsey was overrated and was hoping he'd be the pick...but am certainly not disappointed with Joey Bosa. The kid definitely has the work ethic and talent to become a solid pro and the run defense instantly improves with him in the DL rotation now. The guy Bosa has mentioned that he admired growing up and a player we should all definitely hope he can turn into...is Tamba Hali.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Melvin Ingram ‏@MelvinIngram 2 minutes ago

Great pick @Chargers welcome to the Squad Joey Bosa

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

This pick also signals to the other OLB that they better get their heads screwed on right and start playing up to their ability.

Now, TT can focus on a lot more help on O for the rest of the draft, unless he is going to trade up and get either Kelly or Martin at C.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
            that would be great! settle for Burt Grossman?
            I wouldn't be settling for Grossman for a #3 overall.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
              Fluent in Sarcasm
              • Jun 2013
              • Iowa
              • Man of the People
              • Send PM

If Tunsil makes it past the Giants things get serious.

Comment

• KNSD
                Registered Charger Hater
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                that would be great! settle for Burt Grossman?
                Grossman and Sileo on 1090 panned the pick. They didn't like him at all. They said he wins on technique against less skilled OL, and that won't translate to NFL.
                Prediction:
                Correct: Chargers CI fails miserably.
                Fail: Team stays in San Diego until their lease runs out in 2020. (without getting new deal done by then) .
                Sig Bet WIN: The Chargers will file for relocation on January 15.

Comment

• Foxbatkllr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by KNSD View Post
                  Grossman and Sileo on 1090 panned the pick. They didn't like him at all. They said he wins on technique against less skilled OL, and that won't translate to NFL.
                  I can't stand Sileo. I don't think he has a clue about a lot of things that he pretends to know.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Marty Caswell ‏@MartyCaswell 111 seconds ago

One scout referred to Bosa as a meathead but he scored a 37 on the wonderlic. Which doesn't translate to football success but smart

Comment

• bonehead
                      Undrafted
                      • Jul 2013
                      • TBD
                      • Retired
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Foxbatkllr View Post
                      I can't stand Sileo. I don't think he has a clue about a lot of things that he pretends to know.
                      That's why he has that braid dead mouth breather Grossman sit next to him...makes him look like smart
                      Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Bolt-O
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

TT on Bosa:

Comment

• Bolt-O
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013