• 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

OT: Aztec Football 2023

QB Mayden is already my hero.
    on the first drive vs Ohio Bobcats, he gets facemasked by a defender with the ref staring right at it.
    and Mayden throws the ball RIGHT AT THE REFS FACE!!
    BULLSEYE!!

F the refs.
    G-Ro knows.
  • Fleet 1
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Kauai
    • Send PM

I would say TPB membership is probably more of an Aztec supporter than any other college so i wanted to put this on the main forum.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Go Aztecs!

Always nice to open the season with a win over a decent Ohio team. Hated the call on 4th down late by Hoke, but we survived.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
        QB Mayden is already my hero.
        on the first drive vs Ohio Bobcats, he gets facemasked by a defender with the ref staring right at it.
        and Mayden throws the ball RIGHT AT THE REFS FACE!!
        BULLSEYE!!

F the refs.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
          Go Aztecs!

Always nice to open the season with a win over a decent Ohio team. Hated the call on 4th down late by Hoke, but we survived.
          I'm sitting in the Marriott Chicago Magnificent Mile hotel bar with the lovely Mrs Dmac, consoling her with a Belvedere & Soda (Bourbon on the rock for me, yes - just one big rock, they are fancy there) over her trepidation at dropping our son off for freshman dorm move-in at DePaul. I look up and voila - Aztecs are on the TV. I forgot they were starting last weekend, so busy getting the young man ready to move to college. I only saw mid-3rd to end of game but that was a little unexpected treat for me, a hug from home while on the road. Especially with the win.

See? do good things for others and good things will happen to you.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I'm sitting in the Marriott Chicago Magnificent Mile hotel bar with the lovely Mrs Dmac, consoling her with a Belvedere & Soda (Bourbon on the rock for me, yes - just one big rock, they are fancy there) over her trepidation at dropping our son off for freshman dorm move-in at DePaul. I look up and voila - Aztecs are on the TV. I forgot they were starting last weekend, so busy getting the young man ready to move to college. I only saw mid-3rd to end of game but that was a little unexpected treat for me, a hug from home while on the road. Especially with the win.

See? do good things for others and good things will happen to you.
            100% man
            ride the wave.
            G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Whydachargers?
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2023
              • Send PM

I'm curious. Can the football Aztecs win the Mountain West? Our defense seemed to be a big plus for us last year. How about this year? How's the running game? Is Air Force the team to beat for us?

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Whydachargers? View Post
                I'm curious. Can the football Aztecs win the Mountain West? Our defense seemed to be a big plus for us last year. How about this year? How's the running game? Is Air Force the team to beat for us?
                I a big Aztec fan but I have a hard time seeing them win the MW with an undersized defensive front and Jalen Mayden at QB.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I a big Aztec fan but I have a hard time seeing them win the MW with an undersized defensive front and Jalen Mayden at QB.
                  I can never tell early in the season with the Aztecs. Its the weirdest thing being a fan of SDSU as I never know until about game 6 if they are onto something.

They have won MW with undersized defensive fronts before. Its kind of their thing. That was the purpose of Rocky's 3-3-5, which they have successfully implemented as well as any team in the country. They seldom lose due to defense, they more often lose due to no offense.

Mayden wins - I can't give him a Perfect 10 on style points every game but the kid wins. I think he is getting better too.

What I saw in the first two games is a team still getting it together. We will see ...

Comment

• Whydachargers?
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Aug 2023
                    • Send PM

So we lost to UCLA this week. Any chance we actually beat #16 ranked Oregon ST next week? Seems like a big ask but upsets happen.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Whydachargers? View Post
                      So we lost to UCLA this week. Any chance we actually beat #16 ranked Oregon ST next week? Seems like a big ask but upsets happen.
                      None. The wheels have fallen off and after a couple of less than impressive wins against a weak Ohio team and an FCS school, they got completely outclassed in every single area. On the Aztec Mesa forum people are melting down about Hoke and questioning why he was extended to 2027.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Brady Hoke is out. Horrible season and time for the move but it was nice to see a great closing game to stomp Fresno St (who have been better than the Aztecs for many years) for his goodbye game. He did help the program when he first arrived a lot and most people have long forgotten what that program was like before him. He started the run then carried by Rocky to an almost expected (minor) bowl bid every year.

Word today is they are hiring Colorado's OC as their new HC - Sean Lewis

Sean Lewis, who spent five seasons at Kent State before becoming the offensive coordinator at Colorado, is expected to be introduced Wednesday morning as San Diego State’s new head football coach.

A Union-Tribune source confirmed San Diego State’s plans on Tuesday afternoon. ESPN’s Pete Thamel reported earlier Tuesday on X (formerly Twitter) that “a deal is expected to come together soon,” while FootballScoop.com called Lewis “a strong and likely leading candidate.”

The 37-year-old Lewis was head coach at Kent State from 2018-22, guiding the Golden Flashes to a 24-31 record. He went 22-21 over his last three seasons. Running Lewis’ “FlashFAST” offense, the Golden Flashes appeared in two bowl games. Kent State averaged 606.5 yard and 49.8 points per game during the COVID-shortened 2020 season; a year later, the school threw for 3,425 yards and rushed for 3,482 yards, setting program records for total yards, first downs and plays run.

Lewis left Kent State in December and signed a three-year, $2.7 million contract to become Colorado’s offensive coordinator under head coach Deion Sanders. With Lewis calling plays for quarterback Shedeur Sanders, the Buffaloes scored 45, 36 and 43 points to start the season, and put up 41 and 43 points in losses to USC and Stanford.

However, Lewis lost his play-calling duties earlier this month in favor of former NFL head coach Pat Shurmur.

Lewis previously served as co-offensive coordinator at both Syracuse (2016-17) and Bowling Green (2015). His coaching career also includes stops as a position coach at Eastern Illinois and Akron.

As Eastern Illinois’ wide receivers coach in 2013, Lewis was on the field when the Panthers team quarterbacked by Jimmy Garoppolo beat SDSU 40-19 in the season opener at Qualcomm Stadium.

Lewis is a native of Oak Lawn, Ill. During his playing days, the 6-foot-7 Lewis was a tight end and kick returner at Wisconsin. He initially joined the team as a quarterback.

San Diego State athletic director John David Wicker has cast a wide net in his search for Brady Hoke’s replacement. SDSU interviewed Nebraska defensive coordinator Tony White, UNLV offensive coordinator Brennan Marion and former Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo. Washington offensive coordinator Ryan Grubb has also been linked to the job. A report from FootballScoop on Tuesday added another name: Montana State coach Brent Vigen.

Comment

Working...
                        X