Clear All
  • Rambler
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • No Cal
    • Civil Research Attorney
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

That is his strong suit, along with grip strength and complete engulfment lol.

Alt and Fuaga have good power, anchors and they really excel out in space.

TBH I think the "Latham at 5" leak put out by the Chargers, is clearly further advertisement that the spot is for sale and the price is reasonable.

A QB bidding war would be nice tho.
    It is interesting that the rumored player of interest is one the Chargers might be able to pick at 11, 12, or maybe 15. What better way to signal that you may be willing to trade down, maybe pretty far down?

Comment

• Jack Burton
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2023
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Latham can probably play guard if they don't think he's ready for RT and/or they want to try to see what Pip can do.

I get the DJ Fluker comparisons but Latham seems far better.
      But you don’t draft a guy at 5 if you think this might happen, man…

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Good point...that is a new factor for both of them.

But I find it hard to believe they will change a decade of successful strategy just because of Herbert.

And I've made my feelings on Herbert well known - I actually think having a more well rounded team and NOT have it centered around him is probably a good thing for him. He can more like Robin while the OL/running game is Batman.
        Good coaches adapt to the personnel they have

That doesn't mean the Chargers are going to have a run and shoot offense. Of course Harbaugh will want a strong running game. But Herbert has some special skills -- a good WR or TE could maximize those skills as much as RT

And yes, the Chargers need to improve the OL and run game as like you said, a good running game will make Herbert even better. And I want a very good running game. And maybe Latham is the best player on the chargers draft board - or maybe its a bunch of smoke

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

That's the thing about drafts, someone will always be passed over. We need a lot of help at a lot of positions or we wouldn't be picking this high. And it doesn't matter if WE don't think Player A or Player B is the best player on the board. It only matters what the JHs think. Because ultimately, it's their necks on the line if it doesn't work out. They have a vision and a plan in place to create that. It doesn't make a damn what we think about it. Let's roll these dice and get this party started already.
          Trader Joe and Harbo...the new twin Bogies:

image.png

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

But you don’t draft a guy at 5 if you think this might happen, man…
            If he can do it, his versatility would only be a positive. Especially if other guys get injured.
            ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Latham to the Bolts means the trade with Minny is in place. Nothing else makes sense.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Rambler View Post

It is interesting that the rumored player of interest is one the Chargers might be able to pick at 11, 12, or maybe 15. What better way to signal that you may be willing to trade down, maybe pretty far down?
                Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                Latham to the Bolts means the trade with Minny is in place. Nothing else makes sense.
                Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
                And maybe Latham is the best player on the chargers draft board - or maybe its a bunch of smoke
                Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                TBH I think the "Latham at 5" leak put out by the Chargers, is clearly further advertisement that the spot is for sale and the price is reasonable.
                Good points...maybe all this buzz about Latham @#5 is a smokescreen to put the squeeze on the Vikes...in other words, Trader Joe may be leaking out the smoky message, "I don't even need to trade down--I'm good with Latham @#5...whereas in reality, Hortiz really DOES want to trade down...when yer in the middle of the bargaining process, act like you don't want what the other party is offering...and they may get so desperate they cough up more than the original offer...

Comment

• Boltx
                  Dominate the day
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Good coaches adapt to the personnel they have

That doesn't mean the Chargers are going to have a run and shoot offense. Of course Harbaugh will want a strong running game. But Herbert has some special skills -- a good WR or TE could maximize those skills as much as RT

And yes, the Chargers need to improve the OL and run game as like you said, a good running game will make Herbert even better. And I want a very good running game. And maybe Latham is the best player on the chargers draft board - or maybe its a bunch of smoke
                  Well the fact that they are going with the current WR room + inevitably another rookie or two from this draft...tells you what you need to know about how we are going to be on offense. Also look at the two TEs we signed.

There are going to be A LOT of fans wondering why Herbert is only throwing it 20 times a game. If we are winning, who cares. Expect Herbert to put up something like 3200 yards, 25 TDs and 3 INTs. Deadly efficient to go with a ground attack.

Comment

• Jack Burton
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2023
                    • Send PM

If he can do it, his versatility would only be a positive. Especially if other guys get injured.
                    Now your making hypothetical excuses for why he can’t just play RT immediately.
                    If you are picking a player at 5 in ANY draft, he's a slam dunk starter day 1. Immediate impact player.
                    That’s why you took him with the 5th pick.
                    You aren’t looking to move him to another position and hope he pans out and develops. That’s what the 4th and 5th rounds are for..

This is why Latham isn’t considered the 5th best player in this draft by anyone.

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                      Who do you take at 23? CB? Verse? I think it has to be defense.

Comment

• ThatSinkingFeeling
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

I think they'll be taking Latham no matter what. There is no smoke without fire. What if Minny trades up to 3 or 4 and there are no takers for the 5? I think most people wouldn't have an issue with Latham at 11 or thereabouts but he does indeed seem a reach at 5. If they don't find a deal to their liking, where they can safely pick Latham later, I do believe they will take him at 5.

Comment

• Boltx
                          Dominate the day
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

Now your making hypothetical excuses for why he can’t just play RT immediately.
                          If you are picking a player at 5 in ANY draft, he's a slam dunk starter day 1. Immediate impact player.
                          That’s why you took him with the 5th pick.
                          You aren’t looking to move him to another position and hope he pans out and develops. That’s what the 4th and 5th rounds are for..

This is why Latham isn’t considered the 5th best player in this draft by anyone.
                          Not making excuses, but injuries happen. And competition is good - if Pip defends his starting job and Latham slides in at guard, great. Win win for us, just upgraded two spots on the line.

The only people whose ranking matters is Hortiz and Harbaugh. So it doesn't really matter to me if Latham isn't the 5th best player on any writer or pundit's draft board. We begged Spanos to hire these guys, so I'm going to let them cook.

If we can get him after a trade down, all the better. But I wouldn't be upset at #5 either!

Comment

Working...
                          X