• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack Burton
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2023
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

If I take Latham @#5, I want him at RT, his natural position...don't need another Fluke bust that gets kicked inside to G...
    (though we also DO need a road grading G)
    If you take Latham at 5, you’ve already decided he’s the new RT. Or you would NEVER take him at 5.

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

That's the going rate for top QBs. Harbaugh is advocating running the ball to set up the pass. That's a 50/50 proposition. We are not running the
      football to win games in this league. You run to salt the game away in the 2nd half AFTER you take the lead. Run in the 1st half to set up the
      pass, keep the D honest. If Herbert is tossing the ball 40-50 times a game, that's a very bad indicator.

Run dominant offense means you don't need a very good QB to win games. In that case Mayfield will do. Better yet a cheap game manager
      like McCarthy who doesn't make mistakes would be a better choice. Trade Herbert now and rebuild the team.

By the way when is the last time a run dominant offense won a SB?
      Don Shula's Miami Dolphins were a run-first team. They had three tough RB's and a tough defense.

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Jack Burton
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
        Latham at 5 is swamping the X … I wonder why the world is so certain Latham would be the first OT off the board if LAC takes and OT at 5. I saw him ranked #2 once, otherwise he’s a consistent #5 ranking. It can’t be just because of the Bama pro day tape of a charger coach working him out, can it? I haven’t seen any charger coach or staff leaks about Latham.

huh.

Feels like an overdraft but trust in JH2 is real - I hired them to cook, I’m not setting the menu. They know more than I.
        This feels like it’s Hortiz trying to trade back outta 5 cause Latham will easily be at 10-15 range.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
          Well...

If they are set on a OT, and it definately sounds like they are, I would actually rather have the strongest player in the draft, the mauler and natural RT over Alt. Fits better for what Chargers need

Thats my silver lining I am working on, but sure would be nice if they can trade down to get Latham and get another badly needed pick
          I just think of the Portland TrailBlazers picking Bowie the Center and passing on Jordan
          or a more recent example. ,the Suns passed on Luka Doncic for Ayton

I get different sports and how one player can make a difference in basketball unlike the NBA but picking at 5-- I want a damn difference maker especially if three QBs go in the first 4 picks.
          And I get it - a strong OL helps the whole team
          MHJr or Bowers at 5
          trading back if going Right Tackle

trust the board - don't draft for need

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

All I know is we need, at the very least, a better ground game to keep the heat off of Herbie...if Herbie is hurt, hard to win a SB...
            (or even go deep into the playoffs...)
            Sure, but you didn't answer the question.

And by the way when Harbaugh went to the SB with 49ers and his time with the Ravens he always had a very strong D. We are focused
            on O because of our situation at WR and ROT. But lest we forget our D was shit. Needs on D include CB, DL, and LB. With the exception
            of LB, the better CB and DL guys fit in that #11 to #23 area. Just a reminder.

Comment

• Formula 21
              The Future is Now
              • Jun 2013
              • Republic of San Diego
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Who do you take at 23? CB? Verse? I think it has to be defense.
              BPA. We have a lot of needs.
              Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
              The Wasted Decade is done.
              Build Back Better.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Don Shula's Miami Dolphins were a run-first team. They had three tough RB's and a tough defense.
                Ah yes, Czonka, Kiick and Morris...great team and a great QB in Marino...so, it CAN be done...

Comment

• Jack Burton
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2023
                  • Send PM

Ah yes, Czonka, Kiick and Morris...great team and a great QB in Marino...so, it CAN be done...
                  Marino didn’t play on that team, man.
                  MIA was all pass when Marino got there.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

The only team to go undefeated. But that was in the early 1970's. There's been very good running teams since then.
                    But the recent trend is big fast QBs that can run and the passing game.

Our D is subpar. If we're going to win running the football the D has to improve big time. Besides the run game,
                    the one constant a Harbaugh led team had was a top notch D.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

We don't have any of those guys. We have Edwards and questions marks.

There is this guy named Mahomes. Recent history says it can't be done.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Allbright just reposted a tweet from the day Harrison Jr announced he was going pro asking "if he likes warm dry Arizona weather"

So the Chargers draft pick could be open for business-- will it be for Drake Maye or JJ McCarthy

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2022
                          • White Rock, BC Canada
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I just think of the Portland TrailBlazers picking Bowie the Center and passing on Jordan
                          or a more recent example. ,the Suns passed on Luka Doncic for Ayton

I get different sports and how one player can make a difference in basketball unlike the NBA but picking at 5-- I want a damn difference maker especially if three QBs go in the first 4 picks.
                          And I get it - a strong OL helps the whole team
                          MHJr or Bowers at 5
                          trading back if going Right Tackle

trust the board - don't draft for need
                          I agree

When we lost all those games, tanked and suffered through a 5-12 season the silver lining was to get 5....Seau, LT...you think of an impact stud... I know you need lineman to succeed but Latham feels an underwhelming return for a top 5 pick

Feels like it should be a trade back

Comment

Working...
                          X