The 2023 Breakout Player of the Year will be.............

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Duck of Death
    Social Piranha
    • May 2022
    • Flyover, USA
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
    Since I was so outspokenly pleased with the draft pick when it was announced, unlike most here, I’ll stick with Derius Davis as my breakout player.
    I’ll double down on Double D. Not only was he measured as the fastest player with pads on in ALL of football (college or pro), but he shows some seriously quick processing genius when setting up and choosing his free running spaces. I still go back and rewatch his PS punt return TD with awe. As for reps on offense, his route running already looks vastly improved compared to how he looked at the Senior Bowl 1 on 1s (not so good). Much like Deandre Carter surprised everyone with early reps on O last season (even before all the injuries), I see DD faring even better. Being an old BSU fan means I’m a huge Kellen Moore fan as well. So yes I’m biased, but I can guarantee this - ain’t no way KM won’t try to make good use out of DD’s elite speed & agility.

CAVEAT - he HAS to work on the ball security issues that he had while at TCU (supposedly).
    This Derius Davis route against the Saints at 2023 Training Camp joint practice is nasty.#LAChargers #Chargers #NFL #Football #Highlights #Saints #MustSee

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post

I’ll double down on Double D. Not only was he measured as the fastest player with pads on in ALL of football (college or pro), but he shows some seriously quick processing genius when setting up and choosing his free running spaces. I still go back and rewatch his PS punt return TD with awe. As for reps on offense, his route running already looks vastly improved compared to how he looked at the Senior Bowl 1 on 1s (not so good). Much like Deandre Carter surprised everyone with early reps on O last season (even before all the injuries), I see DD faring even better. Being an old BSU fan means I’m a huge Kellen Moore fan as well. So yes I’m biased, but I can guarantee this - ain’t no way KM won’t try to make good use out of DD’s elite speed & agility.

CAVEAT - he HAS to work on the ball security issues that he had while at TCU (supposedly).
      Don’t be surprised if we look back in 10 years and Double D has a better career with the Chargers than QJ.

Comment

• Duck of Death
        Social Piranha
        • May 2022
        • Flyover, USA
        • Send PM

Don’t be surprised if we look back in 10 years and Double D has a better career with the Chargers than QJ.
        Well, that would probably surprise me. But in any case, both guys possess traits that this team really hasn’t seen in a long while. I’ll bet the gears in Kellen’s mind are happily working overtime.

Comment

• SuperCharged
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Utah
          • Midnight Toker
          • Send PM

I wish I could wager you on that. It's kinda weird that you don't like QJ.

Comment

• Eurobolt
            *** Jim Harbaugh ***
            • Sep 2018
            • Send PM

Def JC Jackson

Off Justin Herbert

We need outstanding seasons from those 2 if we would like to witness very very deep PO run.

Comment

• richpjr
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Nashville
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

I wish I could wager you on that. It's kinda weird that you don't like QJ.
              I like Davis and he is a legit returner. He also fumbled quite a few times at TCU and we saw one in preseason. We'll see how that works out and how quickly people turn on him for it (and you know they will here). I have a hard time thinking he'll have the career that QJ has. I'm glad we have both.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

That would be an amazing legacy note for TT if it turns out he drafted two HOF wide receivers in the same draft. you know, because ...
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post
                  Def JC Jackson

Off Justin Herbert

We need outstanding seasons from those 2 if we would like to witness very very deep PO run.
                  How does a QB that set the record as the most prolific passer in NFL history in a first 3 seasons "break out"?
                  now if you're picking LAC's Best Player - that s a solid bet. rock solid. I'd take the risk and start carving it in stone, even.

JCJ - thats borderline and could be debatable as I see where you went here and he did fall flat then go IR last year. I'd put him in the Comeback Player of the Year category vs Breakout as he was a top #1 CB prior to the Chargers.

Breakouts must be never-been-there-before in my criteria. Doesn't have to be a rookie, but must never have had a big NFL year yet.

I love the DD darkhorse pick for LAC, good addition guys!

Comment

• Eurobolt
                    *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

How does a QB that set the record as the most prolific passer in NFL history in a first 3 seasons "break out"?
                    now if you're picking LAC's Best Player - that s a solid bet. rock solid. I'd take the risk and start carving it in stone, even.

JCJ - thats borderline and could be debatable as I see where you went here and he did fall flat then go IR last year. I'd put him in the Comeback Player of the Year category vs Breakout as he was a top #1 CB prior to the Chargers.

Breakouts must be never-been-there-before in my criteria. Doesn't have to be a rookie, but must never have had a big NFL year yet.

I love the DD darkhorse pick for LAC, good addition guys!
                    Yep you right i picked best players on both end of the game, go Bolts!

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                      Come on dmac - with more speed and depth at WR, a better oline and especially a new offensive coordinator, the Kraken is about to be released! What if Herbert throws for 6000 yards and 50 TDS on way to his league MVP followed by his Super Bowl MVP???

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Come on dmac - with more speed and depth at WR, a better oline and especially a new offensive coordinator, the Kraken is about to be released! What if Herbert throws for 6000 yards and 50 TDS on way to his league MVP followed by his Super Bowl MVP???
                        I can't categorize as Herbie as a breakout. He already broke out.

ok - MVP + SBMVP and we will award the SUPERBREAKOUT crown. maybe even the coveted SUPERDUPERBREAKOUT double-crown. But not a pedestrian breakout trophy, he's way beyond that.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post

Yep you right i picked best players on both end of the game, go Bolts!
                          GO BOLTS!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X