• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Playoff team?

Am I the resident Pollyanna? Whatever. Looking at this roster, the moves TT has made - FAs, draft, coaches - are there any deficient units? Some say safety, but we're in nickel and dime over 70% of the time, puts extra CBs on the field doesn't it? Another whatever, Pags has always been able to scheme around a player or two (he loses it at about three, much like the rest of the league), just not that concerned I guess.

Health concerns me, every year, is what this team has taught me. But this is a strong roster with lots of good young players, bodes well for the future.

With health, this is a playoff team. Now, in 2016.
  • chargerkdb
    Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Hotter than hell, Georgia
    • Send PM

There is no reason why this team cannot make the playoffs. They need to improve significantly in some areas but there is reason to believe they have enough talent to be in the mix.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

If we block for Philip Rivers, we can win the Super Bowl.

Comment

• QSmokey
        Guardedly Optimistic
        • Jun 2013
        • Kuna, Idaho
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
        Am I the resident Pollyanna?
        One of them, yes.

Looking at this roster, the moves TT has made - FAs, draft, coaches - are there any deficient units?
        blueman...you must look up the work "objectively" and try to apply it here. This was arguably the worst team in the NFL in the last half of last season; you think the addition of a bunch of unproven rookies, Wiz, and a couple of 2nd-tier FAs is going to transform this team into a playoff contender? Seven (7) wins would be a monumental achievement for this team in '16, IMO.

Some say safety, but we're in nickel and dime over 70% of the time, puts extra CBs on the field doesn't it? Another whatever, Pags has always been able to scheme around a player or two (he loses it at about three, much like the rest of the league), just not that concerned I guess.
        We have the worst pair of Safeties in the NFL. And that's not an opinion; it's a sad FACT. You can't justify and/or explain and/or 'Pollyanna' around that by saying we can scheme around it. Ask Seattle how important it is to have TWO Pro-Bowl difference making safeties on the roster. And really, "Pagano has always been able to scheme around a player or two"??? WTF? Yeah to the tune of 4-12. Master schemer, is he.

With health, this is a 7-win team. Now, in 2016.
        Fixed it for ya.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Did you miss the part about health? How many players on that worst-in-the-last-half-of-the-season team were starters? Or even first choice backups? Yes, if THAT team sees the field, we're doomed, again.

Seems someone else is wearing tinted glasses.

Comment

• mdl4483
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I would challenge you QSmokey that the 2014 Washington Redskins who also finished 4-12 had a poorer offseason showing the season after than the Chargers are having this year. If you paid attention to the NFL last year Washington finished 9-7 and won the division. It definitely would not be as surprising as you imply, it happened last year.

Comment

fender57
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I remember blueman posting last year how the Oline was much improved and it would be fun to watch the team take its rightful perch on top of the AFC West. Hope this year isn't jinxed.

Comment

• QSmokey
                Guardedly Optimistic
                • Jun 2013
                • Kuna, Idaho
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by mdl4483 View Post
                I would challenge you QSmokey that the 2014 Washington Redskins who also finished 4-12 had a poorer offseason showing the season after than the Chargers are having this year. If you paid attention to the NFL last year Washington finished 9-7 and won the division. It definitely would not be as surprising as you imply, it happened last year.
                Everybody wins the Super Bowl - or makes the playoffs - in May, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. And I "pay attention" just fine, but thanks for the reminder. Perhaps, since you obviously pay CLOSER attention than I do, you can produce a list of 4-12 teams that DIDN'T make the playoffs following such a season. I'd be willing to bet that list would be quite a bit longer.

Or you can hang your hat - and put your money - on the 'Miracle Mets' of the NFL.

Comment

• rikardo
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Mebane & Bosa should help stop the run (the biggest weakness in 2015 IMO)
                  Benjamin and a healthy Allen, more I (FB) formation, hopefully helps Gordon on our running game, if Rivers is in 3rd and less than 3 yard more often (as he was in 2014) I think we have a solid shot at been a playoff and contender (just because our run defense has improve IMO)

Comment

fender57
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Defense has theoretically improved up front but the safeties are a huge concern. Hard to be an elite defense with those two positions unsettled IMO.

Oline has greatly improved its depth, but two key players have suffered multiple concussions. I do like the addition of Slauson though.

I'm not ready to say they're gonna wipe the floor with the AFCW.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

We're gonna be improved, but we still have McCoy to come up with questionable decision making.

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
                        We're gonna be improved, but we still have McCoy to come up with questionable decision making.
                        How could I forget that? Probably two losses right there.

Comment

Working...
                        X